Tree roots too big to snake out with blade?

Users who are viewing this thread

IN2665

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a question about a main sewer line with tree roots clogging it. I had a local company out that I have used before (and been satisfied with) and they tried to snake the line with a blade in the end, but could not get through the root. They say that my only option is to dig up the cast iron line and replace it with PVC, at a cost of $4,000.

What I'm wanting to know is how common is it that they are unable to get through the root with a blade. It just seemed like to me that they didn't try very hard. I've had some previous experience with this at a different house and that time it seemed like the plumber kept pushing and pulling the line back and forth tons of times to get it all out, whereas this plumber didn't try for very long until he gave up. I'm just wondering if I called a different company if they would be able to get it if they tried longer. I've spent over an hour searching this site and it seems to me that the vast majority of people that had to replace their main line did so due to a collapse, and that is not my issue. It seems that nearly everyone who had root problems was able to snake them out. I do realize that by not replacing it I will be dealing with this issue again in the future, but unfortunantly my budget just does not allow for a $4,000 repair. I've owned this house for 10 years with no problems, so it just kind of seems like the roots can't be all that huge if this is the first time I've had problems with them, but maybe I'm wrong.

Should I try again with a different company, or is what they are telling me correct? Thanks in advance for your input!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Roots should NOT be in a "cast iron line", except at the end where it transitions to some other material such as red clay pipe. I do not trust their diagnosis or remedy. I have had very few root problems that the blade could not cure, and in those cases the problem had been developing for YEARS. IF you do have the line replaced, and at this time, using your information, I would not, then there is no reason WHY you should have to deal with this problem again, as long as the use the "right" PVC and not the thin green SDR which WILL cause additional problems..

AssTyme

Plumber
Reaction score
Roots should NOT be in a "cast iron line", except at the end where it transitions to some other material such as red clay pipe. I do not trust their diagnosis or remedy. I have had very few root problems that the blade could not cure, and in those cases the problem had been developing for YEARS. IF you do have the line replaced, and at this time, using your information, I would not, then there is no reason WHY you should have to deal with this problem again, as long as the use the "right" PVC and not the thin green SDR which WILL cause additional problems..

Really............:rolleyes:

Cookie

Reaction score
If you cannot cut the roots out with a sharp blade and a little time, you could do a spot repair, just dig up and replace that section where the roots are. Many times a company will try half-heartedly, because the 4,000 dollar job makes them more money. If you should do a spot repair, that section will be PVC.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Guy was a bum

My big machine is a 3/4" General Maxi rooter. My root cutters always win! Guy was usless. Ask the old timers in the Hood Who's reliable.
Cookie's right , a section replaced at the root ball often is a long term repair.

Cookie

Reaction score
I like that Elizabeth! :) See, Tim, knew I was always right... lol. I would start humming, that tune, " I am Woman"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks