1. Mark Chuck

Mark Chuck New Member

Ending a kitchen remodel and the double sink presents a question. With the disposal installed on the "downstream" side, grinding noise is pretty loud through the other bowl drain.

Is there any reason I can't put a J-bend trap (for a total of two) on the upstream side to block the grinding noises? Yes I know I can use the strainer as a plug, but it tends to vibrate.

TIA
  2. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

If you can configure two p-traps is one thing. The disposer itself still can't be muffled. There is such short distance it seems to me that there would be little difference with what you are trying to accomplish.
  3. Mark Chuck

Mark Chuck New Member

Sound Trap

The sink is 16ga stainless attached to a 9' granite top. If I plug the un-trapped strainer before hitting the switch, the grinder noise is reduced by a good 70%.

If there's no downside to a double trap, think that's how I'll go.

Thanks
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

trap

There is one plumber who would tell you that double trapping is illegal, which is true, except your double trap would not qualify, so go ahead and do it. A better option might be to redo the drains so each sink has its own trap connected to the pipe coming out of the wall.
  5. Mark Chuck

Mark Chuck New Member

Thanks, hj.

I'll see if I have room to "y" at the wall
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Y

I usually try to install a double Y and use the extra opening for a plugged cleanout fitting.