Trap under slab - concrete over or leave exposed?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jeffeverde, Oct 23, 2009.

1. jeffeverde

jeffeverde New Member

With a bathtub on a slab, is the trap typically left exposed or concreted over?

I've already installed the (glued) trap, but I'm not sure whether I should box it in and leave it unconcreted, or go ahead and concrete over it, leaving just the stub-out. The tub will be in a platform, so there's no issue with the current install. I'm just thinking about access for future service.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

trap

"Access in the future" for what? If it is done correctly in the beginning, there is no need for access EVER.
  3. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

I'd leave access to the trap and trap arm (or a certain amount of it anyway) so that in the FUTURE if you ever want to trade that tub out for something different and it has different dimensions you might be less screwed.

Leaving access to plumbing is never a bad idea.
  4. jeffeverde

jeffeverde New Member

Everything's tight and solid, but the trap is half in the footing, so a future change/move would be a HUGE PITA if it's all concreted in. Guess I'll be considerate to any future plumber and box it :)
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

trap

You DO NOT have to pour it solid with concrete. Sand fill with a concrete topping is the normal way to do it. And you may be the first person ever to worry about how a plumber would do something in the future and make it easier for him.
  6. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

As a service plumber I love when people consider future re & re's to make our job easier. It also usually ends up saving the person paying some $$$$$.
  7. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

In the state of Florida code requires you to cement it over.

John