Trap to vent distance and how to do what i'd like to do!

Users who are viewing this thread

fcat

Reaction score
I've removed one vanity and am adding either two seperate ones or a twin vanity with one trap.

and I'd like to move two vanities over to as below:

Distance at the moment from vent to proposed furthest trap is about 90"

Questions:

1. I believe the max distance from vent to trap is 3' 6" , is that correct ? ( The vent and waste as 1 1/2")
2. If i were to move the vent over to the right to bring the traps nearer does the whole vent have to move, (ie from under ground in the concrete) or can just the section that I'm connecting to be moved ?
3. is there a maximum height for the stub out for the waste for vanity ? i know suggested is 16-20"

cheers for any info

p.s. The outlet is going to be disconnected and removed:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can put a vent line behind the new vanity within the necessary limitations, run it vertically at least 42" above the floor, then over to attach it to the existing vent line.

fcat

Reaction score
You can put a vent line behind the new vanity within the necessary limitations, run it vertically at least 42" above the floor, then over to attach it to the existing vent line.

Thanks for the reply, does it have to be run 42" or just so its above the overflow of the sinks ?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
quote; At least 6" above the FLOOD RIM of the sink, which puts a standard installation at 42".

The codes states, "at least 6" above the flood rim OR 42" WHICHEVER IS HIGHEST. A conventional lavatory is usually 31" so 6" above the flood level would only be 37".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As long as it is vented properly, the rest is just drainage, and that could go on forever as long as it has the appropriate slope.

fcat

Reaction score
If you are perfect from the wall and don't need to swivel the trap, maybe. What are the odds you will be perfect?

Thanks Terry, slight change of plan, have got a combined double vanity with one waste so i should be able to go into the vent pipe which will be within 3ft 6" to the left :) appreciate the help

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
double_lav_right_side_1.jpg

There are a lot of ways, I've never done two lavs on a single trap arm though.

fcat

Reaction score
I am right in that i'll just need one vent now even though there's two sinks, because there's only one trap that's one vent yeah ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks