Trap primer installation

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by blitziger, Jul 14, 2010.

1. blitziger

blitziger New Member

Can anyone explain how a trap primer actually works and whether I'm installing the adapter in the right place. I've read here on this forum and elsewhere that the valve is activated by a pressure change. I'm assuming that is a change in water pressure, and I'm hoping that means that there is only a drips worth of water sent to the trap, not a squirt, since that seems like it could waste alot of water over time.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. blitziger

blitziger New Member

I just went to the manufacturers website and found a picture that matches my diagram above so it looks like I'm on the right track.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You're on the right track.
    They sell 2" couplings with brass fittiings for attaching 1/2" copper pipe for the feed.
  4. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

They work on pressure loss. So when water is used on the piping they're attached to they open up and let a few drips of water out. So make sure you put it on a line you use often enough to keep the trap primed.

Most people will attach them to the cold water inlet on the HWT so that every time somone uses some hot water they are also priming the trap :D
  5. blitziger

blitziger New Member

Thanks Doherty, I'll aim the primer piping under slab straight toward the water heater location.

P.S., Saw the pictures you posted for the Naramata Winery. Is that a normal practice to attach the piping directly to the rebar? Are they going to lift the rebar before the pour? All I've seen is around here is putting the pex in first directly on the insulation and the rebar goes on top in the middle of the slab.