Trap for very narrow "hand rinse basin"

Users who are viewing this thread

yumbrad

Reaction score
I'm trying to do the drain for a "Porcher Elfe" no-overflow sink. This is a very narrow sink (for our very narrow half bath) - the drain hole center is 3.5" away from the wall. I first removed the chromed brass wall piece that stuck out quite a way - thanks to searching and reading previous posts, I was able to identify and remove the solder bushing in my CI stack, by hacksawing out a section.

My thought was to use a bottle trap, as that seems to be what's in all the pictures I could find of these european style hand-rinse sinks. Unfortunately, the sink drain is 1/2" offset from the wall opening. I'd love to avoid moving the sink if possible (wallpaper cut/installed around the existing location), and the local plumbing supply sold me a brass 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" trap adapter with rubber washer and slip nut - he said it would likely maintain the seal while allowing the 1/2" offset to the bottle trap. After screwing it into the wall, I'm not sure there will be room - haven't bought the bottle trap yet.

Is this a viable route? Other thought I had was trying to somehow link up a "double offset" to the drain, to allow a p-trap to come back in front of the DWV. But this or other p-trap options seem like they might be pretty ugly in this exposed location compared to a bottle trap. Also, if I do screw in a brass adapter into the cast iron, do I need something on the threads?

I'll try to include some pictures of the situation. I appreciate advice!!

btw, I plan to replace the left shut-off valve with the right angle style that is on the right.

2012-12-31 13.12.48.jpg2012-12-31 18.36.13.jpg2012-12-31 18.40.04.jpg2012-12-31 18.42.03.jpg

yumbrad

Reaction score
Ok thanks, I'll order a bottle trap and give it a try. Should I put anything on the threads of the brass adapter that screws into the cast iron in the wall?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
pipe threads always require some way to seal things (unless it is a straight thread with a gasket), either pipe dope and/or tape.

yumbrad

Reaction score
First obstacle - inlet pipe of bottle trap was not long enough to get trap level with DWV. It's 1.25" flanged chromed brass, 6" long as supplied in trap. 1.5" is very commonly available, 1.25" *not* very common. Found a couple though, ordered this 12" one:... now to wait again :)

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The easy way would have been to just order the bottle trap and use a drain fitting with a threaded outlet. Threaded tubing is very common and could be cut to any size you needed.

yumbrad

Reaction score
I'm a little confused, as I thought that's what I did - well the part about using a drain fitting with a threaded outlet anyway. The drain fitting does have a threaded outlet, but it isn't long enough - the bottle trap screwed on to it is well above the dwv. Do you mean pick a drain fitting that has a longer threaded outlet, or use a coupling with an additional threaded pipe cut to the appropriate length? Or something else? I appreciate your insights!

yumbrad

Reaction score
Well, it seems to have worked! The first time I tightened things up, I got a little leak from where the sink mates with the drain gasket - I had a thicker gasket so I used that and tried not tightening it down so hard. That seems to have solved that. None of the sections I thought might leak did! Used pipe dope for the brass to iron, and tape on all the other threaded connections. There was enough play thanks to all the gaskets that everything tightened down and lined up nicely. I'll include a couple pics. Thanks for the help!

sink1.jpg

sink2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks