Trap/drain on disposer

Users who are viewing this thread

imscoop22

Reaction score
I replaced my countertop and sink and have to align the traps/drains with the new sink, which is deeper and a few inches off of where the old one lined up. There are two traps, one on each bowl and one of them has a disposer.

I managed to get the trap on the main bowl without too much trouble. I had to cut back the drain and install a new trap adapter but I'm having trouble trying to figure out what to do with the disposer. The problem is that with the deeper sink, the trap sits lower off the elbow that comes out of the disposer. It is a/b 2 inches lower. I don't know if cutting back the vertical section of the elbow is what you would typically do but, in this case, I'm not sure that's an option as short as it is. I could maybe get 1/2-3/4 inch but probably not more. What is the best thing to do?

Attachments

• 20140709_142213.jpg
    20140709_142213.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:

imscoop22

Reaction score
After searching around a little more, I think I see what my real problem is. The disposal outlet is a/b 1.5 inches below the drain so it will retain water. I've seen it mentioned that different disposers may have different outlet heights. Does anyone know an inexpensive disposer that is likely to sit high enough to make this work?

I see this "compact" model: http://www.insinkerator.com/en-us/H...sposers/Evolution/Pages/EvolutionCompact.aspx. Does "compact" mean that it's designed for applications like this?

Also, I saw someone mention a "shallow drain for the disposal". Is that something I can buy separately?

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
Pretty sure the only option for you is to either go without a disposer, or redo the plumbing behind the wall and make the drain line lower to use a disposer. Not a plumber, but have done some extensive remodeling. Someone should chime in soon.

PlumberJeff

Mister Plumber
Reaction score
I replaced my countertop and sink and have to align the traps/drains with the new sink, which is deeper and a few inches off of where the old one lined up. There are two traps, one on each bowl and one of them has a disposer.

I managed to get the trap on the main bowl without too much trouble. I had to cut back the drain and install a new trap adapter but I'm having trouble trying to figure out what to do with the disposer. The problem is that with the deeper sink, the trap sits lower off the elbow that comes out of the disposer. It is a/b 2 inches lower. I don't know if cutting back the vertical section of the elbow is what you would typically do but, in this case, I'm not sure that's an option as short as it is. I could maybe get 1/2-3/4 inch but probably not more. What is the best thing to do?
Bite the bullet. Open the wall, lower the sanitary tee (behind the wye at the wall) about 4-5" and your life will be carefree. Figure the minimum amount lower you think it needs to be and add 1" for the actual new height.
You can plan on replacing the wye, san tee and trap adapters. Hack the pipe below theexisting tee so you have room to get the new tee in. I'd suggest mission bands for the new pipe connections, everything else can be glued. Be ready to see a 2 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 tee - 1 1/2" vent and waste arm, and 2" drain, if it's to code. If not, just copy what you find in the wall.

The ISE Compact drain height is a little lower than the Badger X you have now. I think it's "compact" compared to the larger ones in the ISE line.

Done this job many many times.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
for interchangeabity, almost all disposers are the same dimension these days. Two things will happen if you connect the disposer to that drain, first it will ALWAYS shake when it is started as it pumps the standing water out, and second, that disposer has cast iron parts that will rust and damage the disposer. You have NO options other than to eliminate the disposer or lower the pipe connection in the wall.

imscoop22

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I ended up going without the disposal. Even at that, one of the traps was difficult...probably a little less than a half inch off. I did get it all together, though and it drains fine and doesn't leak. I would open the wall but we're listing the house for sale...let the next owner worry a/b that. :)

imscoop22

Reaction score
Oh...one other question...in order to make it work, I installed a branch tailpiece on the other side (i.e. the dishwasher used to go into the disposer, now it's on the other bowl). There isn't any problem with that, is there?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks