transitioning from galvanized to copper

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jm66208, Dec 16, 2013.

1. jm66208

jm66208 Member

Gonna tear out some old galvanized and replace with copper. Cant replace it all so I 'm gonna have a 3/4"galvanized to 3/4" copper transition. Figured I'd use a 3/4" brass threaded coupler off the galvanized pipe, then a 6" brass nipple, then a copper FIP to sweat fitting and continue on with my rigid copper. Lotta connections there, but is there a better way? The existing plumbing has some dielectric unions where others have transitioned to copper but they show signs of corrosion.
  2. Smooky

Smooky Member

3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I would not bother installing dilectric unions. They close off very quickly.
    Junk.
    I've been using 6" brass nipples for transistion.
    It's also one reason I don't like leaving any galvanized in a building once I've started replacing with copper. Any time you transistion, it's a probem.
  4. jm66208

jm66208 Member

Thanks Terry, Unfortunately I don't have the option of removing all the galvanized in this situation.