Transition from in-wall to outdoor EMT conduit options?

Users who are viewing this thread

PLee1980

Reaction score
I'm adding a new outdoor outlet, which I plan to run a new circuit from my main panel along the side of the house preferably with surface mount EMT.

The connector transition from the in-wall wiring to the surface mount EMT is where I am having trouble figuring it out. I've seen a LB type connector used with SCH40/80 for electrical where they drill a hole in the wall and the LB transitions from in-wall to surface mount conduit. The issue I am having is I only see EMT LB connectors available with set screws, which aren't appropriate for outdoor/wet locations.

Is there something else I could use other than a LB connector that would work with EMT and be suitable for a wet/outdoor location?

I suppose I could use SCH40/80, but I have to go around a corner and I hate using those giant pre-formed giant sweeping 90deg connectors, that's why I was hoping to use EMT.

Thanks in advance!

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
The pros will chime in to add or change my answer if I am wrong, but I always use EMT compression connectors/couplers when using emt outdoors or moist/wet areas. use or remove the nut on it and screw it into the LB to go around your corner.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
You could use a single gang Bell box and a blank cover. That said if you are only finding LBs with set screw connectors you are either looking at the wrong thing or looking in the wrong place.

PLee1980

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys, I was trying to think this all through in my head and I should have just went down to the hardware store before I posted.

I went down to Home Depot and all their EMT LBs are set screw only, but the Rigid LBs are threaded and I can use them with a liquid tight compression connector. That will work perfectly!

Thanks.

PatrickH

Reaction score
A 3/8" NMB connector will thread into a 1/2" LB. If this will not get you far enough into the wall, then you could use a short 1/2" ridged nipple, with a 1/2" coupling, and thread the 3/8" NMB connector to it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks