Tracing a 110v outlet circuit fault

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Keith Wolf Ent, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Keith Wolf Ent

Keith Wolf Ent New Member

How shall I trace the power to my outlet circuit? (Different circuit, inside & outside outlets only) There is power at the main panel breaker and it appears to look fine, does not trip - but there is no power at the outlets, in or out.
    There are 4-5 outlets, none of them in constant use. Thx!:rolleyes:
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Firtst suspicion is that there is a GFI outlet somewhere which has tripped. It is not unusual to find one GFI controlling bathroom + garage outlets. Or kitchen and/or living room + patio.

Look in the bathrooms, the gargage, and in the kitchen for an outlet with the test/reset buttons on it.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Gfci

I found one in a bathroom under a bench on one job where the garage food freezer had tripped it and they did not even know it was there. They had resorted to using an extension cord, (after all the food spoiled), because they just assumed the outlet was broken.