Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Nice job Eric,

It also shows how the community shares water.

One of the issues we have with homeowners is convincing them that we "SHARE" the water supply.
A dangerous method of plumbing in one home my harm others that live on the same street.
In your case, many more were involved.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
--------SPAM----------

1559606_340_1116081430036-spam.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
while both regretable and irresponsible, if it is a public utility, they probably can't be sued. Even if it is, the ratepayers would end up effectively sueing themselves.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you know how long people/children have been drinking the water?

The whole incident only lasted about 10 days, back in August.

Can you find out the short term results from it? Then you find out the long term results from their children drinking it;

I already posted that information in one of my previous posts.

I would make sure the community realizes your results.

I started two threads about it in our local community forum. That is how the newspaper picked up on the story.

Oh, and also, Eric, if you consider fighting this, find a lawyer whose kids have been drinking the water, too.

No thanks. I've done my civic duty. I'd rather drink that toxic water than deal with our inept legal system.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cops were probably wondering why all the local glue sniffers were carrying water bottles all of a sudden...

Interesting you should say that. The chemical I thought I was smelling is toluene (methyl benzene), which is commonly found as a solvent in model airplane glue.

BTW, xylene is dimethyl benzene. So, my nose was nearly spot on.

Cookie

Reaction score
No thanks. I've done my civic duty. I'd rather drink that toxic water than deal with our inept legal system.

That is where we differ, but that is okay, too. I always stongly feel to try to change what is wrong. That is just me.

When I asked about the short term, long term, I was thinking more in terms of names of illnesses. Cancer, etc. I did see the disturbances it can cause, that is fine, too.

You've done good Eric.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Xylene is not a known carcinogen. But don't you consider damage to the central nervous system, liver and kidneys to be more than just "disturbances?"

And, I did fix what was wrong. The water is fine now.

What you and others are suggesting is to spend countless hours trying to sue for reparations for what happened back in August. I'm not doing it. Apparently, no one else in this town wants to either.

You've seen the movie, Erin Brockovich too many times. Great movie, but, a totally different situation. People were drinking that chemical-laden water for years. This time, it was nipped in the bud.

But, if they do make a movie out of this, I want Jude Law to play me. :)

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Short-term: EPA has found xylenes to potentially cause the following health effects when people are exposed to it at levels above the MCL for relatively short periods of time: disturbances of cognitive abilities, balance, and coordination.

Long-term: Xylenes has the potential to cause the following effects from a lifetime exposure at levels above the MCL: damage to the central nervous system, liver and kidneys.

Eric, you corrected me on using the word disturbance, and I was just using it like you. Maybe, I should had added, also, damage, I don't know...

Also, I only saw that movie once, lol. I might rent it and watch it again :D

You said, what we suggested, that was just it Eric, an idea if you wanted. Probably nothing would even come to this, because it wasn't drunk like you said, long enough.

Still, all in all, it is a good thing like everyone said, you did sniff it out.

Cookie

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks