Towel Rail Radiator Installed Sideways

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimmy H NYC

Reaction score
Okay, you are not going to believe this. A few years ago, my plumber installed a Zehnder Towel Rail radiator sideways. I have only just figured this out as probably improper. It actually worked fine for quite some time. Problem is now it is leaking a lot and dripping water from the exhaust valve. This is a steam radiator. Can I bleed it and leave it like this, or should I replace it with a proper radiator, or turn it upright like it belongs?
Please Help!!!!
-Jim

Attachments

• radiatorvalve.jpg
    radiatorvalve.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20170121_1628509.jpg
    IMG_20170121_1628509.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 197

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
It doesn't look very useful stuck between the cabinet and wall. Shouldn't it be out in the open space?
If so, then I vote to "move it, and mount it correctly".

Jimmy H NYC

Reaction score
well, there you go... as it turns out, i don't have any other place to put it, so putting aside the location, what kind of radiator IS suitable for steam in that space?

sajesak

Reaction score
Okay, you are not going to believe this. A few years ago, my plumber installed a Zehnder Towel Rail radiator sideways. I have only just figured this out as probably improper. It actually worked fine for quite some time Towel Rail Bar. Problem is now it is leaking a lot and dripping water from the exhaust valve. This is a steam radiator. Can I bleed it and leave it like this, or should I replace it with a proper radiator, or turn it upright like it belongs?
Please Help!!!!
-Jim
I have recently purchased a towel radiator for my bathroom its the big chrome one about 1400 high. My plumber installed it upside down as my bathroom is downstairs and the pipes wouldnt come all the way down the wall then from the ceiling just to the top of the radiator. The radiator is only getting warm at the top quarter, when I turn the bleed valve at the bottom water comes out and Im pretty sure theres no air in it. All the other radiators get boiling in the house and this one does but only the top quarter of it. He assures me you can install a modern towel radiator upside down in this fashion and said my central heating pump is not pushing through hard enough and that its old and needs replacing. Can anyone advise me if a) a towel radiator can be installed in this fashion and b) whether it is likely i need a new pump. Thanks in advance,

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a towel radiator for my bathroom its the big chrome one about 1400 high. My plumber installed it upside down as my bathroom is downstairs and the pipes wouldnt come all the way down the wall then from the ceiling just to the top of the radiator. The radiator is only getting warm at the top quarter, when I turn the bleed valve at the bottom water comes out and Im pretty sure theres no air in it. All the other radiators get boiling in the house and this one does but only the top quarter of it. He assures me you can install a modern towel radiator upside down in this fashion and said my central heating pump is not pushing through hard enough and that its old and needs replacing. Can anyone advise me if a) a towel radiator can be installed in this fashion and b) whether it is likely i need a new pump. Thanks in advance,
Do you have a picture?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks