TOTO wall mounted toilet has deflection of 1/8 "

Users who are viewing this thread

nick_zx

Reaction score
A Toto wall mounted toilet was installed and currently shows 1/8" of deflection under a load of 130 lbs (here is link to the video :
).

The plumber insists that he correctly followed the instructions provided by TOTO, but TOTO tech support just tells me that there should be no deflection at all. Any suggestion on what might have gone wrong and what needs to be done to correct it?!

Installation was done over drywall, the carrier was installed using beefed-up 2x4 that were attached to the studs of adjacent wall and seem to be sturdy. The toilet functions well.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the dialog-- sit,stand,sit,stand,...? It is not clear what the test setup is, so it is not clear what the deflection at the front of the toilet to the floor might be.

I have no idea what would be normal vs excessive deflection, but to say there is no deflection is wrong. It might not be noticeable. It might not be readily measured with a yardstick, but to say that there is not even a nanometer of deflection on even a very solid installation is wrong.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most wall hung toilets I've worked with have some deflection.

The best are the cast iron mountings drilled into concrete floors that I've done commercially.
Home units, where the brackets are attached to wood studs; not as steady.

DougB

Reaction score
The Toto Aquia I installed has no deflection. I used 1/2" cement board.

Either the frame is moving in the wall or the frame (inside the wall) is not flush with the front of the studs.

Is that wall tiled? Something is flexing.

nick_zx

Reaction score
The Toto Aquia I installed has no deflection. I used 1/2" cement board.

Either the frame is moving in the wall or the frame (inside the wall) is not flush with the front of the studs.

Is that wall tiled? Something is flexing.

DougB--thanks for the reply. The wall is drywall, will installing cement board with tiles on top help address the issue?!

nick_zx

Reaction score
What is the dialog-- sit,stand,sit,stand,...? It is not clear what the test setup is, so it is not clear what the deflection at the front of the toilet to the floor might be.

I have no idea what would be normal vs excessive deflection, but to say there is no deflection is wrong. It might not be noticeable. It might not be readily measured with a yardstick, but to say that there is not even a nanometer of deflection on even a very solid installation is wrong.

Maybe the movie is not very clear, but the deflection (of end point of the bowl) can be measured anytime someone sits on the toilet, 1/8 of inch is about million times larger than a nanometer.
Most wall hung toilets I've worked with have some deflection.

The best are the cast iron mountings drilled into concrete floors that I've done commercially.
Home units, where the brackets are attached to wood studs; not as steady.

Reach4--thanks for the reply. There is 1/8" deflection ( of the end point of the bowl ) measured off the floor under 130lbs load. A quick clarification on "no deflection at all in prior statement": TOTO says that the toilet should not deflect 1/8" under 130 lb load if correctly installed.

With regard to your 2nd statement, there is no such thing as a very solid installation either. There is proper installation, i.e. up to the technical specs of the manufacturer ( to ensure proper functioning and leak-free operation) and that is not the case here, pls. see above sentence. So the question remains...

Last edited:

DougB

Reaction score
The toilet is 'cantilevered' through the sheetrock to the frame. Cement board would probably stiffen it up, but with the toilet installed, you may have to get a new outlet pipe.

I installed the tile before mounting the toilet. If the wall flexes, it could break the thinset bond. I think the tile should have been installed before the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks