Toto vs. Kohler Cast Iron Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

bathlady

Reaction score
We're looking at installing one of two 60 x 32 cast iron tubs:
1. Toto FBY1525 (Augusta Decorative Collection)
2. Kohler Mendota

Does anyone have either of these tubs and how do you like it? How long has it been installed, and how much use does it see? How do you like the texture on the bottom? Can you describe the texture?

We plan to use it for adult showering, occasional adult bathing, and daily young child bathing. This will be the only tub in the house.

If you have the Toto, I would greatly appreciate seeing the following measurements (they are not supplied on the spec sheet):
1. Approx. height to overflow
2. Approx. max length and width of the flat sump area
3. How many gallons it holds when full to the overflow (if you know)

Thank you in advance!

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I sell Toto Cast Iron tubs, i have not seen the Kohler so i cannot compare.

Approx height of the overflow is 14-1/2" from floor to center of over flow.
Approx flat area is 43" and width is approx 17" but tapers larger towards front.
Sorry don't know the volume of water.

I sold one June 06 and May 07, i haven't had a call back yet.

Just make sure to check it carefully considering transporting Cast Iron is tricky as it ships in a crate and gets banged about and chips.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Toto

I would like to see TOTO's manufacturing plant to see if they really cast their own tubs or buy them from another company. For the limited demand for them, I cannot envision having created a complete casting and enameling division.

bathlady

Reaction score
Okay, thank you both for the information.

I also checked with a local plumbing supply company, who put in a call to Toto. The mfr. says the Toto tub is 11" deep (presumably to the overflow), 16.5" wide at the base, and 25 5/16" at the widest part of the base near the overflow.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
transporting Cast Iron is tricky
Nahhh. In the late 70s I bought a Kohler Birthday Bath and brought it home 50 miles over the rolling hills of the NY Finger Lakes in a utility trailer hooked to a bumper hitch on a '68 VW Bug. Every bump was a thrill.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Just to let you know i just received a notification today saying that Toto is increasing the price on Cast iron tubs Aug 1/08.
It's going up $102.00 retail list price.

bathlady

Reaction score
Just a note to follow up: we bought the Kohler Mendota tub. It's great, it has a nice solid cast-iron feel. The shower water sounds quieter than the old fiberglass(?) all-in-one tub and wall panel unit that was in there before. And the tub has a nice size on the inside. The one thing I wasn't sure about before buying it was that it doesn't have much of a ledge, but if you plan to add enough shelf space above the tub, that shouldn't matter much.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tubs

Kohler has been making cast iron tubs a LOT longer than Toto has. Maybe the Toto price increase is to cover the extra fuel cost for the boat. They do not get many inches to the gallon.

Jennie

Reaction score
Choosing the right tub

We are trying to choose the right tub for our guest rooms. One plumber has recommended the Kohler Villager cast iron tub and the other plumber recommended a Toto acrylic with a larger ledge. Which is best? acrylic or cast iron, Toto or Kohler?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Which is best?
There are good reasons for both.
In the end, you should go with your personal preference on this.
They are different, but both do a good job.

Lateley I'm kind of liking the Acrylic tubs. You can find deeper tubs that way. The Villager is 14" high, good for showering, not so good for baths.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks