Toto Unifit Installation, wax ring too thick?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by lordmoosh, Jul 8, 2013.

1. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

Hello all,

I am installing a Toto Unifit adapter for a Carlyle II. The flange is installed on top of the finished floor. The Unifit appears to only have about 1" of space for a wax ring. The thinnest wax ring I could find at Home Depot (the standard size) looks to be about 2" thick. Is it ok if I trim the wax ring down to about 1.25"? The extra .25" would allow the Unifit to compress the ring onto the flange. Thanks.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

A standard wax ring works fine in that situation.
  3. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

LM: You're overthinking it (which is way better than underthinking it).

And you want the standard wax ring without the little plastic funnel thingy in it.

Let us know how your install goes. We have a Carlyle II and love it.
  4. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

Thanks, so I should just push the Unifit on the standard wax ring until it crushes it to the flange?
  5. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Well, just like a toilet, you smush it down steadily until it's where it needs to be, then you put the washer on the bolt and spin the nut on (for each of the two bolts) until it's hand-tight, then 1/2 turn with the wrench. Don't wiggle the thing around because wax doesn't spring back, just smush it. (I hope I'm describing it sufficiently to make sense.)
  6. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

Yes, thanks!
  7. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

Smushing it down worked. Installation was a success. Carlyle II is installed. No leaks or odors detected so far. There was enough room for my 1/2" baseboards and enough room for me to curve shoe molding behind the toilet. The shoe molding appears to run behind the toilet as one piece even though it only goes an inch or so past the edges of the toilet base. There is about a half inch space behind the toilet to the wall. Thanks everyone.
  8. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Congratulations!! Enjoy your Carlyle II!!
  9. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

I am noticing one issue. The water level in the bowl seems to be decreasing over time after a flush. I have not connected the sink to the sink drain yet. There is a rag on top of the drain. Could this be causing the issue?
  10. Terry

What do you mean by a rag on the drain?
    Wouldn't that be like a lamp wick, pulling water out?
  11. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

I put a rag on the sink drain pipe so the sewer smell doesn't enter the bathroom (until I finish connecting the sink to the sink drain pipe).

Anyway I was just working on connecting the sink to the sink drain pipe and someone flushed the toilet upstairs. I noticed the water in the new toilet moving around next to me in the downstairs toilet.
  12. Terry

Kind of depends on how your home is plumbed.
    That's one reason I like to vent toilets, though some codes don't.
  13. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you have marginal venting in the house, pressure waves in the drain can cause the water in a toilet bowl to rock...same thing can happen if it's really windy. Because a toilet bowl is normally full to the brim, rocking it can cause some to slop over the weir and go down the drain. Since the toilet only knows if the tank is full, it won't refill the bowl. Also, after a flush, the bowl is usually slightly overfilled (not so much on the new ones), and it can take it a moment to settle after the fill valve stops, slightly lowering the level.
  14. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

I finished installing the bathroom sink plumbing and installed an AAV. Toilet still loses some water when the upstairs flushes.

Could cleaning out the main vent pipe help?
  15. jadnashua

AAV's only let air in, it gets forced closed tighter if there's a pressure wave coming down the pipe.
  16. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

I checked the vent going through the roof. It looked clean. I hosed it down anyway. There was no change. Still losing water in the downstairs toilet when the upstairs toilet is flushed.The upstairs bathroom has a sink, toilet and tub all connected to the main drain which acts as the main vent of the house. I haven't knocked down any walls but so far I have seen no evidence of separate vent piping in this house. I think everything just connects to the main stack via their drain pipes. The toilet/sink downstairs is tied into the main stack that the above bathroom drains to. When the upstairs toilet is flushed the water in the toilet downstairs shakes and gets pulled into the drain. Is there anything else I can check/do to solve this issue? Could this happen if the main sewer line is partially obstructed?
  17. jadnashua

With few very specific situations, and venting between floors isn't one of them, once a pipe is used as a drain line, it CANNOT be also a vent. IOW, your venting system is marginal. May have met codes long ago, but they changed them for a reason over the years.
  18. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

Suggestions?
  19. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

AAVs do not perform well when used on the fixtures of a lower floor. "Lazy" or "cheap" plumbers use AAVs everywhere they can.
  20. jadnashua

The proper way to fix this is to tap in a new vent line for the first floor, and run it up to the vent in a code compliant manner - this means either 6" above the flood rim of the highest drain, or 42" above the floor, whichever is higher - or, run a new vent to the roof or attic, then tap into the vent there. This gives a path to equalize the pressure as waste flows down the drainage system. It's tough to share a drain and vent and still have everything work well - it's allowed in a single bathroom suite, but then, only in specific layouts, and never between floors. Newer toilets dump waste faster than the older ones - that big surge is likely causing the issues and is one reason the codes were changed long ago.