Toto Ultramax Valve Sticks Open

Users who are viewing this thread

bilofsky

Reaction score
A couple of times, after being flushed, my Ultramax has stuck with continuous water flow.

The culprit is the hook at the upper right:

toto_hook.JPG

Occasionally, when the flush lever is pressed, the opening at the left side of the hook snags a link near the bottom of the chain. Result: Continual water flow - and it's not that easy to unhook either.

Has anyone else run into this? Anyone modified the hook or found another way to prevent it?

bilofsky

Reaction score
Problem Fixed

I just had another identical toilet installed. The wire hook has been redesigned so it no longer can cause that problem.

Now - to try to get a new hook for my older Ultramax.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of the models have a cover over the chain to preclude snagging it. Maybe a soda straw cut to the proper length might work.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Bend the hook against itself and there will be nothing to snag on. Remove any excess chain. Eliminate the snag.

bilofsky

Reaction score
Bend the hook against itself and there will be nothing to snag on. Remove any excess chain. Eliminate the snag.
Bending would probably work.

It's not snagging on the excess - that wouldn't be a problem. It catches a loop on the part of the chain going to the flapper. That holds the flapper open.

Reaction score
You might be able to find some heat shrink tubing or wrap to cover it. I've had this happen on many other toilets over the years, not yet on the Totos. Looks like the hook should be susceptible to it--however, the Toto flapper/flush action is so fast that it doesn't seem to give it much opportunity for a link to hang as the older designs did.

bilofsky

Reaction score
Looks like the hook should be susceptible to it--however, the Toto flapper/flush action is so fast that it doesn't seem to give it much opportunity for a link to hang as the older designs did.
As I recall, the way to do it was to give a sharp push on the flush lever. That would have tossed the chain up above the hook, and it could catch on the way down. It only happened twice.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Bending would probably work.

It's not snagging on the excess - that wouldn't be a problem. It catches a loop on the part of the chain going to the flapper. That holds the flapper open.

I always remove the excess,its just good plumbing practice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks