Toto Ultramax II - 1.0 or 1.28 GPF?

Users who are viewing this thread

keystonek

Reaction score
I've decided on the Toto Ultramax II for both our ensuite and main baths. I found the same price for both the 1.0 gpf and 1.28 gpf versions. Does anyone here have a recommendation as to which is better? Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some places have a rebate for the 1.0 which could make a difference in choosing.
The 1.28 gives you more options on the amount of water used. It's the same porcelain, but different flush valve in the tank.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
I'd probably go with the 1.28gpf because of parts availability and the ease to replace those parts when they go bad in a few years.

Then again, it might be easier to replace the tower flush valve than a flapper. Terry, how hard is it to replace the tower flush valve?

http://assets.totousa.com/product-files/0GU013Z_ONE_PIECE_TOILETS.pdf
page 7.

My concern is the plastic, whether or not it becomes brittle with age and use. We have all seen broken filler tubes. Is that likely to happen if we push down to seat the valve and when we go to twist it into place the plastic breaks? Since there is a gasket that will be needing replacing often (probably as often as a flapper) doesn't that increase the likelihood of some sort of breakage?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The flush towers have been solid. A typical repair has been to replace the flat seal at the bottom.
The tower rotates out for access. No worries about the tower for me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks