Toto Ultramax I or II? 1.28 or 1.6 GPF?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stacey00

Reaction score
Hi All,

We are about to start renovating the main bathroom at our house. I'm trying to decide between the Toto Ultramax I or Ultramax II (both w/ CEFIONTECT).

Is there much difference in the performance between both these models?
Is there a difference between the 1.28 and the 1.6 gpf on either?

This toilet is going to get a lot of use. I want to make sure it won't clog up easily and that the bowl will clean out well. I'm going to go with standard height either way.

I'd really appreciate the advice.
Thanks so much,
Stacey

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Ultramax II only comes in Universal Height, so that makes your decision for you.

I think the II has a little better bowl wash, and the 1.28 saves water. Both flush exceptionally-well. The Toto 1.28s now flush basically the same as their 1.6s. Most of the water saving is in the amount of refill water used, not so much the flush water. We have both 1.6s and 1.28s from Toto. Today, I would just go with the 1.28s. The II series looks a little more modern, but both look nice. The II series offers a little more bang for the buck, offering ADA Height, CEFIONTECT, and the newer Double Cyclone bowl wash all in one package. Both are great toilets, and I would just get the one that suits you best.

On the Original Ultramax, you probably want to be sure you get the MS854114 with a model number that includes the suffix "S" or "E" -- either one makes it an UltraMAX. They still sell the plain ol' MS854114 with no E or S in the suffix, which is the "ulTIMATE". It has the Power Gravity flush, which is very quiet (almost anticlimatic, you pull the handle and the thing kind of goes "slurp" and that's it), but maybe a smidge less than what you're expecting from a Toto. I stayed in a hotel a few years ago in New Orleans that had put Ultimates in all its bathrooms. They were very happy with them, and they were super-reliable for them -- which is a good recommendation -- but my own experience was that I kind of expected a more-dramatic flush from a Toto.

Stacey00

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply. I'm not necessarily set on the height. I just don't want the toilet to be too tall since I'm 5'3" (though my husband is 6'3" so it makes the decision difficult).

I prefer the look of the original Ultramax to the Ultramax II but performance is the most important thing for us. We had two Toto Drakes at our old home and loved them but I'd prefer a one piece this time around to make it easier for cleaning.

The Ultramax II only comes in Universal Height, so that makes your decision for you.

I think the II has a little better bowl wash, and the 1.28 saves water. Both flush exceptionally-well. The Toto 1.28s now flush basically the same as their 1.6s. Most of the water saving is in the amount of refill water used, not so much the flush water. We have both 1.6s and 1.28s from Toto. Today, I would just go with the 1.28s. The II series looks a little more modern, but both look nice. The II series offers a little more bang for the buck, offering ADA Height, CEFIONTECT, and the newer Double Cyclone bowl wash all in one package. Both are great toilets, and I would just get the one that suits you best.

On the Original Ultramax, you probably want to be sure you get the MS854114 with a model number that includes the suffix "S" or "E" -- either one makes it an UltraMAX. They still sell the plain ol' MS854114 with no E or S in the suffix, which is the "ulTIMATE". It has the Power Gravity flush, which is very quiet (almost anticlimatic, you pull the handle and the thing kind of goes "slurp" and that's it), but maybe a smidge less than what you're expecting from a Toto. I stayed in a hotel a few years ago in New Orleans that had put Ultimates in all its bathrooms. They were very happy with them, and they were super-reliable for them -- which is a good recommendation -- but my own experience was that I kind of expected a more-dramatic flush from a Toto.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks