Toto Ultramax Handle Broken?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by lordmoosh, Nov 22, 2011.

1. lordmoosh

lordmoosh Member

Hello all,

Recently my Toto Ultramax toilet has had a loose handle. Today I heard the water running and noticed the handle was down causing the flapper to stay open. I called Toto to get a replacement handle under warranty but the guy told me that the 5 year warranty is for the china and 1 year for the parts. I purchased the toilet August 2007. Does this sound correct?

At any rate he told me to see if the screw inside of the handle is loose so I took the handle off of the toilet and noticed the plastic inside of the handle had a piece broken off from it but the screw was tight. I would think I could replace the plastic piece but I do not have time to waste as this is our only toilet in the house. Could you guys tell me how much does part usually runs and where I should buy it (Toto or some 3rd party?). Thank you!
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I think you can take the advice given by Toto CS as gospel. Here's what I'd do if this was my potty. First, I'd rig a cord from the flapper chain to the top of the tank so I could flush manually while getting the need repair part. This is not a classy or permanent fix, just something to get by. Next, I would either find a new handle locally or order one from Toto. I really don't know if a generic handle would fit or not, but it would be easy to find out. Just take the broken one with you and go shopping in plumbing shops.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

A generic made for the Eljer side mount may work.
    Or you can pick up the Toto handle for around $20