toto toilet water flows continually in drain tube

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by volah, Jul 17, 2014.

1. volah

volah New Member

Hello, I have a problem with my toilet that probably was addressed here before, but I don't know the names of the parts, so don't know how to search.
    Basically, when I flush the toilet, water doesn't stop flowing through the overflow tube. (Please see photo) The water level in the tank and bowl are fine. A friend suggested I disconnect that pink thing at bottom and the plunger and clean them, and the bottom of the tank. Maybe algea was forming affecting the seal. I did that, and it was fine for about a week. But now the problem started again. Do I need new parts? Thank you.

Virginia

p.s. you can be technical as I have a semi-handy friend who will understand. 20140717_105913.jpg
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

You are showing the flush valve area in your photo.

Your problem is in the fill valve area (the thing that connects to the incoming water). You need to repair or replace your fill valve.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Turn off the water to the tank.
    If the tank loses water, it's the flush valve or flapper that is leaking.
    You may need to replace the flapper.

If the tank does not lose water, then I would look at replacing the fill valve with a Korky 528MP with gray cap.

www.terrylove.com/korky
  4. volah

volah New Member

Thank you very much for replying. Well, it looks like my problem is with the fill valve. I thought I would upload a pix of the whole area just to make sure it can be replaced by the Korky you recommend. I can read E (I think) MAX on the very top. . Also I'm having trouble finding the model no. of the toilet. Is it hidden? I'm so appreciative of your help. No more questions, I promise.

Virginia 20140717_125709.jpg
  5. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Thanks for the photo. Yes, yor toilet's fill valve can be replaced by the Korky 528MP (Lowe's calls it the 528MPK). It has a silver top. Any other covered top won't be ideal for your toilet, because it will have the wrong percentage of water flowing through to refill. You can replace the valve yourself in about 10 minutes or less.

Here's a video from Korky on how to install the valve. It might look complicated but it is actually so simple a lawyer can do it!! :)

(There is an error in the graphics on the video. She says if the refill water is too low in the bowl, turn the little knob clockwise, which is correct. The graphics on the video say exactly the opposite. Listen to her words, the script is right and the graphics are wrong. Korky's page for the valve also has printed instructions: http://www.korky.com/?p=Product&i=131 )

Good luck and let us know how it goes.