Toto toilet very disappointing quality

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Herrada, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Herrada

Herrada New Member

A few years ago, in part due to the recommendations here, I installed a TOTO Aimes One Piece High Efficiency SanaGloss Toilet. Nice design. Works pretty well. For the price I expected quality. I installed the toilet in a guest bath that is rarely used. It is not flushed very often at all. So water sits in the bowl. Today I found the the finish of the bowl below the waterline (under the water), is no longer shiny and smooth. It is rough as if it has been eaten away. Now the water from our water company here isn't perfect, but it isn't out of the ordinary. I am VERY surprised that after a couple of years that the SanaGloss finish hasn't held up at all. The fairly basic, 10-year + old toilet in the other bath is still smooth, and shiny. Clearly, to my thinking, the finish on the Toto toilet was defective. So, I take a look at the warranty. Toto, apparently, only has a 1-year warranty on their toilets. I have essentially paid $600+ for a maybe 60 flushes, and now have to get a new toilet (I assume there is no way to "fix' this). Is there any reason to get another Toto?? I note that American Standard has a 10 year warranty on their toilets (which seems reasonable for something that should last 20+ years). How does Toto respond to problems like this? What kind of company are they? This clearly should not happen. The porcelain finish (SanaGloss or other) should last A LOT longer than a about 3 years of limited use. Very disappointing.
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I suggest you consider Kaboom "Scrub Free!" Toilet Cleaning System or Fluidmaster "Flush 'N' Sparkle" bleach system to cut back on future deposits.

It is not going to take off your existing deposits.

You might ask your water company what is effective at removing the deposits.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

One of my customers is an airline pilot. He could be gone for long periods of time. Kind of like the bathroom that doesn't get used.
    He had some with regular glaze, and one with Sanagloss.
    He wound up switching out to Sanagloss. That being said, the standard bowl we took out, cleaned it up with CLR and have been using it at Jamie's rental. The coating on the bowl which was like a film, which all came off with cleaning. and since Jamie keeps things clean at his place, it has been good ever since.
    This can happen with the newer, since 1992 bowls that have less water in the bowl, and don't get much use.
    So far, we have always been able to clean them up. Even the standard glazing.
    I use the liquid bowl cleaner, and the downstairs Ultramax with Sanagloss still shines. Installed in 2005. My other stuff is newer.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  4. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

The finish isn't "eaten away". It has been covered with something, usually the kind of film that develops after stuff has been sitting for a long time in a bowl. Clean it with CLR and you'll be fine.

Amazing to me how you went from, "I let stuff sit in the toilet for a long time and it discolored" to "It isn't quality" to "It's defective" to "I should be able to replace it." I think it's a stretch, and a stretch based upon misunderstanding.

The fact is, the Toto IS quality. We have three. We have one that sits in a guest room and is used irregularly. Guess what? If you leave water sitting in a toilet for a long period of time, the now-warmed, room-temperature water will incubate whatever microbes and other little living things that came in it and fly or fall into it (like mosquito eggs). This will often create a soup of stuff that adheres to the bowl and needs to be cleaned off. I hit the Toto with a toilet brush and it's fine. Not so the 1950s American Standard toilet in an essentially-unused garage apartment. The soup I found in it this summer after being unused for about 3 weeks was remarkable. I had to hit the bowl with a Pumie pumice stone to get the film off, but off it did come. (Wouldn't recommend that on Sanagloss as it isn't necessary.)
  5. JerryR

JerryR Member

I'd also recommend using CLR to clean the bowl as first attempt.

I bought a house that had an 18 year old Koehler bowl with nasty streaks. I used a Pumice stone on it and it cleaned up like brand new.

I also use pumice stone on my in ground hot tub tiles that get occasional grimy and they clean up like new. Lowes sells them a Pumice stone stick for about $3. Buy 2 to clean up a bay's toilet as they disintegrate as they are used. Just take your time and a nasty stained toilet bowl will look new in 15 minutes.
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Pumice or anything abrasive will destroy the Sanagloss.
  7. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Pumice or anything abrasive will destroy the Sanagloss.
  8. Herrada

Herrada New Member

Well, I hope all of you are correct and these are just some nasty scale deposits. Will try some of the products mentioned. I will not use pumice, or any harsh mechanical abrasive as I know that's not good for the Sanagloss. I was under the impression that that stuff like this wouldn't adhere to Sanagloss (especially with their description that says, "TOTO’s extraordinarily smooth SANAGLOSS glaze prevents particulates from adhering to porous, ceramic surfaces." and "SanaGloss ceramic glaze, which creates an extraordinarily smooth, ion-barrier surface to help keep the bowl cleaner with every flush.", but I suppose that's just a fantasy. Maybe it's just "somewhat" better.

I hadn't consider the issue of warranty before, but looking into this a little more, it seems that Toto has the shortest warranty of the toilet producers I surveyed. Surely a company that prides itself on quality would try to reflect that confidence in their product with the longest warranty in the business, not the shortest.

American Standard: 10 years
    Kohler: 3 years
    Gerber: Lifetime (on vitreous)
    Mansfield: Limited Lifetime
    DXV by American Standard: Limited Lifetime
    Duravit: 5 years
    Delta: 5 years
    Caroma: 2 years
    Toto: 1 year
  9. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The fact that I get less than 1% returns on TOTO trumps any stat you can post.
    The Champion had a 10 year, and I was throwing them away in two.

With any toilet that gets rare use, you will still need to keep it clean. Some water will leave a film.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  10. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Hard water mineral deposits will stick to any surface...they'll come off easier from SanGloss, but they'll form. If your water is acidic, that will etch the surface over time - how quickly, depends on the use and how bad it is. Same thing with stuff like mold and skid marks - they stick, but usually wash off when you flush, or if not, brush off easily.

My local water supply means I get some crud in the toilet bowl if it sits for very long, but it brushes off MUCH easier with the Totos and their SanaGloss than it did on my original toilets, those, you needed to really scrub, with the Totos, it simply brushes away easily.
  11. Wallijonn

Wallijonn Member

Did someone pour bleach in the bowl and let it sit? Perhaps in the hope of de-mineralizing it?

If you fill the bowl up with Clorox Bleach it will eat away the porcelain, I have found.