Toto Toilet Flapper Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Seems like a definite quality control issue to me.

For the price you pay for a Toto, you should be getting more than 2 years out of a flapper.

Last edited:

evanob

Reaction score
Korky fixed flapper problem!

I followed new2me's advice and went to Home Depot to buy the aftermarket flapper from Fluidmaster. I could not find that brand, but instead bought this Korky brand. Had same concept of adjustable buoyancy. It works great! No more collapsing into drain hole and persistent leaking. This problem had nothing to do with Chlorine, just bad "soft" design by Toto. They need to hire the Korky manufacturers or perhaps Fluidmaster for their OEM products!! Thank you new2me! Evan

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 2,928
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 2,854

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They need to hire the Korky manufacturers or perhaps Fluidmaster for their OEM products!! Thank you new2me! Evan

Toto does not make the flapper, Korky does, and Korky makes many of their flush valves as well. They aren't in the rubber business, Korky is.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I got 11 years out of American standard flappers on a few one piece Savoy's. They sent me new flappers and towers for free for the asking. No chlorine here though.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Addatives to the water make a huge difference in how long rubber parts last.

Reaction score
Addatives to the water make a huge difference in how long rubber parts last.

In chlorinated systems it's been a regular maintenance issue for me. The black rubber ones were the worst, so I went to the higher dollar types and they did okay. Can't remember how many years I was getting on average between swaps. The black ones probably didn't make it 2 years, the others were at least twice as long.

The black rubber simply degrades/decomposes. The carbon black ends up on your hands when you touch them, while the polymer is long gone/blistered/embrittled.

We'll see on these Toto/Korky pink things in the EcoDrakes. The chlorination here seems to be milder than what we had down south, so I expect them to last 5 years or more. We shall see.

pjsalony

Reaction score
hi
I solved my flapper problem quite easy.I saw that the RED flapper was not seating all the time.The tabs on the tube were too long ,which allowed the flapper to slide.I installed a small rubber grommet on the bowl side of the flapper axle,between the end and flapper.this took the slide out and allowed the flapper to seat properly. toto had sent me a new flapper which didn't solve the issue.i resolved it my self. I should have told them my fix,but i didn't

lennym

Reaction score
Lets call it what it is. There's a design defect in some of Toto's toilets and they should do something about it.

I've had a Carrollton for 8 years with no change in the flapper. So it's not a water problem and it's not a flapper problem. I have had a Soiree for about a year and a half. One flapper had to be replaced and a second just started to leak.

The solutions are found on this board. 1. There could be a better flapper. 2. The inside lever should be positioned over the center of the flapper at the factory. 3. The tube tabs should be shortened.

At the prices of these toilets there is no reason that the consumer should be bothered by flappers that are not made to work right from the start and last for years. Its not a flapper problem--it's a Toto problem!

evanob

Reaction score
3 Totos and 3 bad flappers

I am buying my third Korky 3-inch replacement flapper for my 3rd Toto toilet. The oldest flapper lasted 3.5 years. The rubber literally seems to have shrunk with the cold water this season and will no longer cover the 3 inch opening even when I adjust by hand. I have turned the water off until I can get a replacement flapper. This really is disappointing. I will look for a different brand toilet for my next purchase.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
As the rubber ages, the dome on the top collapses, this pulls in the edges. There are other companies that make flappers that fit. It all depends on your water chemistry...some last a long time, some don't.

Jasmine123

Reaction score
My Toto is experiencing similar issues to the ones already mentioned, and I think it's probably time (3 years +) to replace the flapper.

A flapper listing on ****, a TOTO GMAX FLAPPER # 2021BP, specifies that it fits TOTO toilets from Korky makers.

My Toto is a ST743S, Made in Vietnam, and I wonder if anyone can say whether the flapper on **** would most likely fit my Toto.

JJL Jr

Reaction score
I've had my Drake for 6-9 months now and my only complaint is that the flapper closes too soon. I've checked the forums and tried the suggestions but these haven't worked. The problem seems to be that the flapper is too close to the fill pipe which doesn't allow it to stay open. As a result, the flapper closes in a split second. It still flushes the waste but its very loud. I have to laugh when I read that some people find it quiet. Maybe next to a truck. I also think the handle may be part of the problem. Are all the handles made of plastic and very loose? I have tightened the nut inside the toilet yet it seems that the handle itself can't be tightened. This makes for a lot of play. Are there any other flappers/handles that can be used which will allow the flapper to remain open a little longer? If not, I guess I'll have to continue to hold the handle for 2 -3 seconds.

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The flapper is only supposed to be up for a moment.

And as for noise levels, it seems to be very dependent on the bathroom.
Same bowl and tank, different homes, different noise levels.
If you are holding the lever down, you are flushing an extra 2 gallons every time.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The problem is, you are accustom to the old full flow toilets where the flapper stays open and drains the entire tank. New toilets do not do that. They only use about 1/2 of the tank per flush. Also, you old full flow toilets eased the water into the bowl and were fairly quite. With the new toilets, the water enters the bowl through a much larger water way so it is much faster. This does produce a short noise, but most of us do not find this offensive.

CJ2367

Reaction score
Have 3 ultramax for 6 years and started leaking lately after a series of clorine tablet applications to 3 toilets. Out of the 3, 2 toilets started leaking and found out that the flapper was defective. Showed wavy edges on the flapper. I had to agree to one of the previous poster that the flapper needs a solid flapper instead of the pure rubber flapper. Bought the fluidmaster flapper at Lowe's. HomeDepot does not carry it. Here's a picture of the defective flapper.

Attachments

• totoFlapper.jpg
    totoFlapper.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,373

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Chlorine voids all manufacturers warranties. We're not surprised that adding chlorine did that to the flapper.

Plumbers tell homeoweners about the damage by chlorine all the time. Fluidmaster does make a product that will put the chlorine inside the refill tube, bypassing the tank.

Asiangem

Reaction score
A solution so far which is working.. flapper is closing not as soon as before

I've had my Drake for 6-9 months now and my only complaint is that the flapper closes too soon. I've checked the forums and tried the suggestions but these haven't worked. The problem seems to be that the flapper is too close to the fill pipe which doesn't allow it to stay open. As a result, the flapper closes in a split second. Are there any other flappers/handles that can be used which will allow the flapper to remain open a little longer? If not, I guess I'll have to continue to hold the handle for 2 -3 seconds.

Thanks.

I had the same problem with my Drake because the flapper closes too soon. I found that the Korky 2022BP Power Gravity™ Flapper For TOTO® Toilet Repairs is a 3" flapper which has only 1 hole instead of the flapper with 2 holes in the Drake. By installing the Power Gravity flapper by Korky, I was able to get the flapper to not close too soon... Now I'm looking into adding a float to the flapper to see if the tank water can empty. Some of the tenants seem to use too much toilet paper and need as much water to flush the toilet paper down; they don't seem to hold the handle for 2-3 seconds because its too much trouble for them. Thus its causing a lot of back-ups in the toilet.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
What you have done is convert the toilet into a 2.5-plus gallon-per-flush toilet; keep going and you'll have a 3.5+ gallon-per-flush toilet. That's certainly not in the spirit of what's going on in California.

These toilets pretty much push down the maximum that a toilet can with the legally-specified water volume involved. In fact, my old toilets that use more than 3 gallons don't get down any more toilet paper per flush. Eventually, using too much toilet paper will cause a clog, regardless of how much water is used.

And nobody should be holding down the handle for 2-3 seconds. They should just be discriminate about how much Charmin Ultra they are expecting to flush at one time. The as-designed cycle of the toilet can flush a very large amount.

Give the idiots a plunger and show them how to use it. Set the toilet at the proper water usage as designed. When they fill it too much, they get to plunge. Now you have given them a reason to pay attention to how much toilet paper they use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks