Toto Toilet-- chlorine tablet--tank won't fill

Users who are viewing this thread

Lindsay Noelle

Reaction score
Hello, We recently purchased a home and it has three toto toilets. I placed a disinfecting chlorine puck in 2 of the thanks to keep it clean...two weeks have passed and now the tank does not fill immediately after flushing. Takes about 20-30 minutes after first flush.

The toilet I did not put a cleaning puck in is fine.

Tonight we tried to clean all the gunk out of the tank to see if that will help. In doing that I had to take the tank lid off and saw at the bottom, "Do not use chlorine disinfectants in tank" -- how did I not see this a few weeks ago.

Anyway, wondering if anyone else has had this problem..if its something i can fix myself or do we need to call a plumber?

Please & Thanks.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never=ever-at all-even use any kind of chlorine in any brand of toilet. Chlorine eat the rubber seals. The water in the tank is not contaminated, in fact in an emergency, it is just fine to drink. Your fill problem is likely the flapper. Easy DIY fix. Flappers are available at many hardware stores and Big Boxes. With three toilets, I'd keep at least one put away. There is also a fill valve seal that might be at fault. Korky 528. Again an easy DIY fix. These are not affected by chlorine as they just deal with incoming fresh water. Usually you can hear them leak then stop then leak again. Other than those two things, about the only thing left is a poorly positioned flapper.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Take a close look at the rubber washers for the bolts that hold the tank in place (assuming it is a two-piece toilet). Those may also have been attacked and damaged. Rub your finger around their edges...if it is soft and smears, you'll probably want to replace them as well.

None of this is particularly hard.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The bowl doesn't refill from the tank? The tank refills, but the water takes a long time to get to the bowl.

Or does the fill valve not fill the tank? After the tank waster is lowered, the fill valve should start to refill right away.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
The Fluidmaster Flush ‘N Sparkle is an in-tank system that bypasses the tank water and injects the cleaning solution directly into the bowl via the overflow of the flush valve. It's available in blue and bleach and a green "septic assist." I can't tell that the blue does anything other than tint the bowl water but the bleach version works well.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
The Fluidmaster Flush ‘N Sparkle is an in-tank system that bypasses the tank water and injects the cleaning solution directly into the bowl via the overflow of the flush valve. It's available in blue and bleach. I can't tell that the blue does anything other than tint the bowl water but the bleach version works well.

I agree, but the newer toilets with the shorter fill don't have much water to spare during the refill. Terry pointed out that Flush 'n Sparkle will add a little back pressure, so if the fill valve is calibrated to only provide the water needed to refill the bowel, you will come up short. Kaboom makes a similar unit, and it is easier to refill its chemical without having to buy a cartridge.

If the problem is iron, Super Iron Out is better to use than a chlorine product. If the house has a well, there may be a nice system to clean up the water to prevent future discoloration and to make the water better for other use.

I think Terry pointed to the cure for the immediate problem, and new fill valve can be DIY. If the new fill valve has an adjustable bowl refill as silver top Korky 528MP does, the adjustment may be able to overcome a little Flush ‘N Sparkle back pressure.

Lindsay Noelle

Reaction score
This came from TOTO.

It sounds like the chlorine tab damaged the fill valve. The flapper may also been damaged. We would recommend to replace both the flapper and fill valve.

Should I just order those two parts?

genuine_toto.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
This came from TOTO.

It sounds like the chlorine tab damaged the fill valve. The flapper may also been damaged. We would recommend to replace both the flapper and fill valve.

Should I just order those two parts?
It will be faster, and probably less expensive, to just go buy them.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I don't know what model toilets you have, so I want to be sure to recommend the right parts. There are some that work on almost all Toto toilets, but there are a few exceptions, so could you either post the model numbers from the tank or just post a photo? Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks