Toto Soiree or Guinevere review, installing, comments and pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

Spitnfire

Reaction score
toto Soiree

Does the Toto Soiree use double cyclone flushing technology or G-max??? What's the difference between the 2 types?
Can you also use a chlorox toilet wand to clean the inside of a CEFIONTECT toilet, will it
cause the CEFIONTECT to come off? How durable is the CEFIONTECT? How are Fresca toilets? are they any good?
Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Cleaning isn't an issue with these. Do you have just horrible water where you are?
I sell these for people with bad water.
You don't want to sandpaper them. The idea is to clean them without scratching them. I think it's easy. And I'm a man.

All the the Toto toilets have a similar trapway and a 3" flush valve.

Either the rinse is straight down the bowl, or is spins, (double cyclone)
Both are siphon jet, so that part is essentially the same.

Spitnfire

Reaction score
water pressure required

The soiree says it needs at least 8 psi water pressure..., how would I go about measuring
my water pressure for my toilet? it is fine now and with my american standard, it has a strong flush, with
that being said, do you think i need to go to home depot to buy a water pressure guage to measure
my pressure?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The only way the pressure would be at 8 PSI is if you collect water from the roof and gravity feed your home.

I assume you can shower?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This looks nice in a log cabin.
hj, this also meets the ADA requirements.

ms874_log_cabin.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I question the comment that the Soiree needs 8 psi to flush. Toilets other than pressure assisted (which Toto does not make at all) require zero pressure to flush. Toilets flush from the water in the tank. Normal household water pressure can vary a great deal, but should run from as low as 30 psi to 60 psi. If it is higher, a pressure regulator valve should be installed. Obviously to refill the tank, there must be some pressure in the water system, but 8 psi is not even close to normal.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
8psi may not be enough to close the flush valve, but if it did, there would be no difference in the flush whether the pressure was 8 or 80psi. Above that 80psi, the valve may have difficulty staying closed (and that value is considered the top of 'normal' - above that you should install a reduction valve).

Spitnfire

Reaction score
products that are ok to clean CEFIONTECT

Can I use lysol , chlorox wand to clean Soiree with CEFIONTECT, it says to use dishwasher liquid, but is lysol and chlorox wand ok? and wont damage the CEFIONTECT. thanks

Spitnfire

Reaction score
wax ring and question about the pvc outlet connection that came with toto

I had a plumber come out to install my toto soiree,
I asked him if I needed a new wax ring, he said no, that's the 1st thing he
inspects, he used the original one that came from the old toilet - it's a new house,
so the wax ring is probably 1&1/2 years old, he said I didn't need a new one, old
one was in good condition and if any problems or leaks he will come back.

2nd thing he said was that my old toilet may be better than the toto b/c it does not
use a pvc outlet connection, which he said might clog or break and it's made out of
some type of plastic - any issues with these in the past vs a standard toilet which doesn't
have one?

3rd, can I use lysol, clorox wand, and fantastic on the CEFIONTECT? Is it safe?

Thanks,

Spitnfire

Reaction score
addendum to last post

Should I call the plumber back to re-do the install with a new wax ring?
And if it is only 1 & 1/2 yr old, do you think it will suffice?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Was the wax ring new, but sitting around in a box, or already used? If it was used, it was already smushed down to seal the old toilet, and it's unlikely the new one is sealed properly. Any plumber worth his salt would never reuse an already used wax ring.

If plastic in itself was going to create a clog, 10's of millions of houses would have a problem, as that's what most of the drain pipes are made of. By using the UniFit adapter, Toto can make the bends exactly like they want and have them come out nice and smooth. You cannot do that in porcelain. So, the plumber was blowing smoke...

The instructions that come with the Toto tell you what you should use. Did the plumber leave you them? Have you looked at them?

Spitnfire

Reaction score
He's a plumber he said since 1988, and he said that he gives a 5 to 10 yr warranty that it wont leak,
he said if it does, just call him and he'll come back and redo.
No the rings were used about 1 & 1/2 yr old, he just reused the old wax ring, from the old toilet, he said it
was in a good condition. Should I make him come back and redo it?

And in regards to CEFIONTECT, is it ok to use lysol, fantastik, clorox wand?

Thanks

Was the wax ring new, but sitting around in a box, or already used? If it was used, it was already smushed down to seal the old toilet, and it's unlikely the new one is sealed properly. Any plumber worth his salt would never reuse an already used wax ring.

If plastic in itself was going to create a clog, 10's of millions of houses would have a problem, as that's what most of the drain pipes are made of. By using the UniFit adapter, Toto can make the bends exactly like they want and have them come out nice and smooth. You cannot do that in porcelain. So, the plumber was blowing smoke...

The instructions that come with the Toto tell you what you should use. Did the plumber leave you them? Have you looked at them?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You should have gotten a copy of this with the toilet... http://www.totousa.com/Portals/0/BrochureDownloads/0GU016-2.pdf If you have further questions, I suggest you call Toto.

The only way I can see the (slight) possibility of reusing a wax ring when a toilet was removed is if it wasn't compressed, and thus wasn't making a good seal in the first place. And, if that was the case, the flange is likely not installed properly (i.e., on top of the finished floor and anchored through it into the subflooring).

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
He's been plumbing that long and doesn't use new parts?
And he's confused about the new products?

Have him call me. I would love to talk to him. It's not every day you get to meet a novice like that.

Spitnfire

Reaction score
It's been installed for about a week, everything seems fine, there is no water coming out at base of toilet,
so do you think I should still replace the wax or trust the plumber??, he guaranteed nothing will happen in
the next 10 years or he'll come back and fix. Or will you only see problems when the toilet clogs?
Is the plumber that lazy that he reused the old wax because he didnot want to clean the old one and put
in a new one?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would guess that it's fine, it's just so funny that your plumber is so cheap.
Did he also reuse the water supply line? Of course he did.
We always use new bolts and nuts, new wax and new supply lines. Duh!

Spitnfire

Reaction score
supply lines

Yes he did reuse the supply lines, it looks pretty new, only 1 and 1/2 yrs old.
So do you think there would be no problems with it b/c there has not been
after more than a week of use??? Will the problem only come up if the toilet is clogged???
Should I make him come back and put in new wax?
Sorry to sound like a novice, I didn't know any better but to trust the plumber
whose considerably older and supposedly a master plumber,
because I never changed a toilet and I'm young and naive.

I would guess that it's fine, it's just so funny that your plumber is so cheap.
Did he also reuse the water supply line? Of course he did.
We always use new bolts and nuts, new wax and new supply lines. Duh!

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If the toilet does not rock and when he installed the parts on the flange he had to compress it to smush the wax, then it probably did make a good seal. Hassle is, generally, that wax has already been smushed to conform to the old toilet, and it isn't a spring! If the new one has less room, there may be enough left to smush some more and make a seal.

Because the outlet of the toilet is sort of a funnel, unless there's a gap AND the line gets backed up, you won't get water/waste leaks. But, if there's a gap, you will get sewer gas leaks and maybe ants, sewer flies, etc. sneaking out of there and under the toilet. If it doesn't smell, rock, or leak...it's probably okay.

lennym

Reaction score
I've had the Soiree for about 14 months, having read the reviews on this site, and it is an amazingly good performer. Recently, though, we've had a problem with the flapper. After being away from the house for a month the flapper didn't make a seal. The end furthest from its connection to the white pipe kind of ducks into the hole and the toilet runs on and on. You have to put your hand in to lift it to get it to seal. Funny thing is that after a few flushes, it began to operate normally. But then we went away for a weekend and the problem, and solution, repeated. Strange. I called Toto and they're sending me a new flapper. But is that likely to happen again next year?

ms964-terrylove-01.jpg

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It depends entirely on the quality and composition of your water...in my house, the flapper lasts about 4-5 years...I've heard some where it lasts 10, and others only a year or two. Also, do NOT put any of the toilet cleaner devices/tablets into the tank as that will kill the flapper very quickly. If the dome starts to get sucked down into the valve seat and the rim is no longer staying flat, it's time to think about replacing it before it leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks