Toto Soiree: do I need offset valve for water supply?

Users who are viewing this thread

Marie M.

Reaction score
Hi Terry,

I will be replacing my existing toilet with a Toto Soiree. Present water supply is 6" from centerline (and only 2-1/2 to 3" from floor) and according to Toto specs, the Soiree needs 8". Toto tech support directed me to an offset valve kit made by Dahl Bros (www.dahlvalve.com/brochure/Totokit.pdf goes straight to a picture of it) but it's ugly and clunky-looking. I also spoke with Brasscraft who told me of two components that would work together for their version of a solution. Although it looks like it would be a little cleaner, it's still pretty clunky-looking; also, it's not specifically designated for Toto installations as the Dahl one is.

Questions:
1. Does the Soiree really need 8" to the water supply? Somewhere on your site someone posted that they installed a Soiree with only 6".
2. If I do need to offset, do you (anyone) know of a clean, good-looking solution?

Marie

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Soiree and Guinevere works at 6"
The Ultramax works at 3"
And yet the spec sheet recommends 8", that doesn't mean it has to be 8" though.

dahl_stop_2.jpg

ms642-terrylove-16.jpg

The back of the Soiree is less than 9", or 4.5" on center. So 5.5" off center would work.

ms642-terrylove-17.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's nice to be able to turn the knob on the valve without jamming your fingers and be able to see it easily. Since it doesn't need to be turned off often, a little compromise is generally acceptable. Built from scratch for it, you'd want to install it where they suggest, but on a retrofit, as long as it will fit, function may not be as easy, but it works.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would certainly change to a 1/4 turn valve while you are in the process of installing a new toilet. These make turning water on/off quick and easy plus since toilet supply valves should always be full on to operate, this would pretty much assure that your valve was not just half way on. You can get these configured with the outlet parallel with the wall or at 90 degrees, whichever best fits your situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks