Toto soft-close seat

Users who are viewing this thread

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
About ten years ago I bought two Toto Carlyle toilets and they came with the soft-close seats. For reasons that are unimportant I have yet to install the second toilet.

About a year, maybe a year and a half ago the lid on the seat assembly came loose first on one side and then the other. I pretty much ignored it but then the seat itself came loos from the hinge assembly. I swapped the seat with the unused one from the second toilet and bought an aftermarket seat that I attached to the second toilet. It was a bit difficult to tighten the lower nuts on the non-Toto seat but since the toilet was loose I managed.

Now the other Toto seat is doing the same thing. I took it off the toilet and found the two pins had simply slipped inside the hinge and all that was necessary was to align the seat, lid and hinge and push the pins outward again. I saw nothing that would prevent the pins from eventually working their way back into the center of the hinge. Well, it has happened again, not a month has passed and the lid is completely off and one side of the seat is off. Sure I can remove the seat and push the pins back where they belong but obviously with nothing to prevent them from moving it will happen again. What is supposed to hold the pins in the proper position?

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately the links provide no helpful information. I have no problem with the soft close feature itself, it is the pins that work their way to the middle of the hinge and out of the seat and lid "ears" that is the problem. There are no little plastic pins holding the metal pins in position that I can discern.

I plan on making a spacer to fit into the void space of the hinge proper to preclude the pins working themselves into the void space.

DVMDSC

Reaction score
I hope this might be of some help.
1. Remove the whole seat from the toilet bowl: pop up the 2 white plastic caps and unscrew the bolt and nut completely.
2. Take the seat to your repair table and turn it upside down.
3. Inside the cover hinge you will see 2 shafts that are flattened on 2 sides. Slide these out. 2 plastic pins can be forced to open to let the pins pass.
4. Take everything apart and work only with the hinge part.
5. On one side you will see 4 shiny screws you might remove these, or pop- out the plastic cylinder with lifting the plastic clip that locks the cylinder from sliding.
6. The 4 screws close the cylinder(s) where a viscous liquid provides the slow motion.
7. The liquid has escaped out of the cylinder and feels pretty sticky.
8. Use one component of an epoxy glue and fill up the cylinder while vertically.
9. Put everything back together and be happy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks