TOTO soft close, other options?

Users who are viewing this thread

raygunclan

Reaction score
i am cracking up that i have done this much research on the purchase of a... toilet!!! i probably wouldn't have if our american standard, piece of soy bean paste (the pictures are so life-like, except for the stripes!), $300 toilet that i installed last spring had ever flushed completely (and by completely, i don't even mean flushing all of our soy bean paste, sans stripes, down. i mean removing the water at from the bowl!) two times in a row! i have replaced everything in the damn thing, even bought a really long flexible wire thingy to stick down my toilet to, as prescribed, remove the clog that wasn't. everytime i flush the toilet for the fourth, fifth, sixth time, i get more and more sure that i will NEVER purchase another american standard. so research, i did!!!! i've chosen (after truly hours of research, gotta love google!) the toto drake.
my problem is this. i've heard the bad, and a few good about the soft close, but what other manufacturers make a soft close seat that will not only fit the drake, but look like it fits the drake. there is nothing worse than buying an expensive toilet and not having the seat look like it goes with the toilet, except for maybe flushing the toilet 5 times to get some toilet paper to flush down!
i guess my question, after a severe episode of A.D.D., would be...
what other toilet seats do people have that go with the drake and how do you like them and how do they look?
thanks in advance,
suzanne

Jumpyg

Reaction score
toto_eco_drake_box.jpg

What's wrong with Toto's seat? I have one, and I think it's great. Plus, no worries about matching the color.

Let us know what you don't like about the Toto SoftClose. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

raygunclan

Reaction score
honestly, i have never seen or heard of toto before yesterday, when i got home from home depot and the guy, even though i told him about my american standard toilet problems, tried to sell me ANOTHER american standard. that's when i started my research, found terry love's site, found out about the toto toilets and made my decision. i read in someone else's thread that the seats were uncomfortable. i, myself, do my business and get off the pot. my husband? he spends so much time on it, we should install internet connection in the loo! :rolleyes: to me, a toilet seat is a toilet seat as long as it goes with the toilet. he's like goldilocks! this one's too hard, this one's too soft, this one's too hot, this one's too cold, this one's JUST right!
:)
suzanne

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
I bought a seat at Home Depot made by Bemis that is a soft close and easy lift off (American Std. has one called the Rise and Shine). Both work great on the Toto Drake that I installed (which is amazing in flushing ability). The seat was only about $35 for the elongated.
The easy removal is great just twist two caps and the whole thing comes off for cleaning, and snap back on when done. The kids love the soft close, and of course if you're in a hurry just pull it down quickly. The color might be slightly off if you look really, really close, the fit is fine.
It's the only seat that is both soft close and easy lift off.
After you start using the Drake you'll find yourself telling people how amazed you are that it is never clogged...they'll think you're crazy. But not as crazy as all the people at HD buying the toilets that can't flush right.

Cme10ae

Reaction score
Kohler also makes a slow closing easy-off seat, called Cache.

Snowman

Reaction score
Website
blizphotos.wordpress.com
:confused: I'm a bit curious. Other than the toto seat being plastic, what is the problem. I bought my Dalton today and got the seat too. The idea of a softclose feature is very intriguing to me.

It sure seems to be more comfortable than my old Bemis. I did a search and couldn't find "negative" comments about the Toto seat. What are they??
Thanks, Tom

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have many customers that love the softclose seat.

Not everyone will though. That's what makes life interesting. Well.........I don't mean that toilet seats make life interesting, just that we all like different things.

The softclose seat does look good on the Dalton.

raygunclan

Reaction score
i had read in some threads (i think it was on this site, but maybe not) that the seat was uncomfortable. again, not a problem for me, but when my hubby asks if we can get tivo in the bathroom, me thinks he is spending too much time on the can! ;) i am excited to have my drake installed, and i did go ahead and order the toto seat, but spent a little extra on the traditional one. since the closest toto dealer is 150 miles away, i'll just have to hope the toilet (and seat) are up to my expectations. now if i could only get the the sink stamped "07/16/1927" off the wall, we would be in business!

Snowman

Reaction score
Website
blizphotos.wordpress.com
I "discovered" that if you sit too close to the front of the Toto seat it IS uncomfortable. I did sit too close to the front at first because I was used to a smaller round toilet in that bathroom. I found that if I sit a little closer to the back, the Toto Softclose seat is more comfortable than my old Mayfair or Bemis.
Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks