Toto slow close not so slow anymore

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by rablake, Oct 8, 2007.

1. rablake

rablake New Member

Hello
    I have Toto toilets with slow close seats. One is closing faster than it was originally. Not crashing - I do that when I forget on a toilet without the slow close feature - but the seat drops much faster than before. Is there any adjustment available ? Thanks
  2. Peanut9199

Peanut9199 Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale

Seats cannot be adjusted and the hinge assembly can not be replaced you would need to buy a new seat.
    If it is less than a year old it is under warranty and can be replaced no charge.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

When the seat a new, they seem to drop very slowly.
    I notice that as the break in, they drop a bit quicker.

I haven't noticed any getting so quick that they slam down.
  4. rablake

rablake New Member

Thanks for the replies even if they mean a new seat is required - at least I know. My seat free-falls pretty much but catches enough in the last couple of inches to avoid crashes. BTW, what DO you call it when a Toto owner lets a wood seat crash into and break a normal base?? (I have no answer here, but this will happen to me at some point). Richard
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If the rubber bumpers on the seat are intact, I think it would be very hard to crack a toilet bowl.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I would call that a good imagination.
    Church and Bemis Wood seats are dropping every day in the US without bowls breaking.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
  7. lnh

lnh New Member

We have a different problem with our soft close Toto seat. Sometimes when you put it in the up position it starts to lower itself automatically a second or two after raising it. Makes for some interesting juggling if it happens when you don't expect it. I assume there is no adjustment for this either.
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If the floor isn't level or the tank is not secured well, it can tip so the seat can't go back far enough so it is vertical...that can just let gravity do it's thing. A "normal" toilet seat would do the same thing, except it would do it with a bang instead.
  9. lnh

lnh New Member

The problem is with the seat, not the install. Measured it - when up the seat sits 5 degrees past vertical. In my case with a normal seat gravity would continue to push the seat back against the tank; it would not come crashing down. There is some issue here with the Toto seat spring return or whatever mechanism they use to make it soft land.
  10. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

I've had a Toto & a Kohler softclose for 2 and 1 years respectively. The Kohler was a lemon and I exchanged it for another one
    I get the feeling that if these seats get forced and/or handled roughly then the chances of them failing increases.

These are Not like heavy duty self closing doors.

Mike