Toto slow close not so slow anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

rablake

Reaction score
Hello
I have Toto toilets with slow close seats. One is closing faster than it was originally. Not crashing - I do that when I forget on a toilet without the slow close feature - but the seat drops much faster than before. Is there any adjustment available ? Thanks

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Seats cannot be adjusted and the hinge assembly can not be replaced you would need to buy a new seat.
If it is less than a year old it is under warranty and can be replaced no charge.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When the seat a new, they seem to drop very slowly.
I notice that as the break in, they drop a bit quicker.

I haven't noticed any getting so quick that they slam down.

rablake

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies even if they mean a new seat is required - at least I know. My seat free-falls pretty much but catches enough in the last couple of inches to avoid crashes. BTW, what DO you call it when a Toto owner lets a wood seat crash into and break a normal base?? (I have no answer here, but this will happen to me at some point). Richard

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the rubber bumpers on the seat are intact, I think it would be very hard to crack a toilet bowl.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
what DO you call it when a Toto owner lets a wood seat crash into and break a normal base??

I would call that a good imagination.
Church and Bemis Wood seats are dropping every day in the US without bowls breaking.

church_585_seat_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lnh

Reaction score
We have a different problem with our soft close Toto seat. Sometimes when you put it in the up position it starts to lower itself automatically a second or two after raising it. Makes for some interesting juggling if it happens when you don't expect it. I assume there is no adjustment for this either.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the floor isn't level or the tank is not secured well, it can tip so the seat can't go back far enough so it is vertical...that can just let gravity do it's thing. A "normal" toilet seat would do the same thing, except it would do it with a bang instead.

lnh

Reaction score
The problem is with the seat, not the install. Measured it - when up the seat sits 5 degrees past vertical. In my case with a normal seat gravity would continue to push the seat back against the tank; it would not come crashing down. There is some issue here with the Toto seat spring return or whatever mechanism they use to make it soft land.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I've had a Toto & a Kohler softclose for 2 and 1 years respectively. The Kohler was a lemon and I exchanged it for another one
I get the feeling that if these seats get forced and/or handled roughly then the chances of them failing increases.

These are Not like heavy duty self closing doors.

Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks