Toto Skirted Toilet - Rough in Tolerances

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by chefwong, May 12, 2012.

1. chefwong

chefwong New Member

How tight are the rough in tolerance in Toto skirted toilets.
    Toilet is TBD.

Any pics ya'll can share.

For example, the Wolf Stoves RO is very tight. Their RO when it gets pushed back is like 1/8 tolerance...
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

For all practical purposes, you can assume the dimensions on the fixture specifications sheet are "absolute" you can exceed them, but if you try to shorten them, you do it at your own peril. A "manufactured item" such as a Wolf range is "precise" because it is made of metal cut to precise dimensions, but when you start making things out of clay and then cooking them in an oven, all bets are off as to whether the item will "slump" or otherwise deform.
  3. chefwong

chefwong New Member

I've seen on/off couple of pics Terry has posted. ie: like the Neorest that was very precise....

And yeah, the Wolf RO totally threw me for a curveball. I recall have the RO piped to the T --- and when having the stove pushed back in place, the tolerances on both the Electrical and Gas was super precise. I though having the electrical box literally flush to the floor was odd, but indeed, that was what the back of the RO of the stove allowed in order to have it pushed back.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The spec sheets will show what they expect behind the tank.
    Most of the skirted bowls are about 3/4" of space behind the tank at the standard rough-in.
  5. chefwong

chefwong New Member

It's funny how you make up your mind on one toilet by just looking at their PDF and website .
    I had my mind set on the Carolina.

Saw the Carlyle side by Side to the Drake, and the Drake seems like a better looking toilet.
    Gotta do some more homework as the II versions of these, the cover is more curved whereas what I liked about the latter was a more slightly more square (not too sharp) tank cover
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The Drake II and the Vespin II use the same tank, if that helps.
  7. chefwong

chefwong New Member

Thanks Terry, Actually , I liked the one tank with the squar-ish tank cover. Aesthetically, this is what I saw on the cut sheets I looked at - but these were not the V2 models.

cough cough. Going more toilet looking this weekend. Dare I look at Porcher or am I opening up a can of worms...
  8. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

I initially thought the same thing about the Carlyle II -- that the squarer look of the original version was better -- when looking at the photos online. I can tell you, however, that we just installed a Carlyle II today in the master bathroom and it is really beautiful; I think in person it looks better than the original version. We couldn't be happier with it, and the double-cyclone flush with the E-max system just rocks. Cleans the bowl, swallows what has been put in it, and looks like a truly artistic piece of porcelain. That "universal height" isn't as noticeable as I thought it would be.

One thought: we were thinking that we needed 7" from the center line for the water inlet, so I was anticipating having to put in an el or the Dahl Toto Skirted Toilet valve kit. However, it seemed, and as I write this I can't recall the measurement, like the Carlyle II requires less than 7". I guess I should check, but with what I had, which was definitely less than 7", all we did was remove the old valve, put a quarter-turn valve on the end, and attach the water line to the nipple on that valve, pointing vertically. And the toilet fit just fine. So I am thinking that the II model may need less than the full 7" without the need for an EL.

Anyway, we love it.
  9. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The skirt is curved, so the offset for the valve will depend on at what height it is coming out of the wall.