TOTO seat, the early design from 2004

Users who are viewing this thread

michdav

Reaction score
Do any less expensive and readily available toilet seats work with the Toto Drakes? I'll be getting both round and elongated models.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know! But, you'll really like the soft-close feature, the kids will use it just cause it's neat to watch. Might get them in the habit. It also prevents that late night slam that can wake everyone up, too. Little fingers slammed under a "normal" seat are less of a problem, too.

I think that the bolt hole separation is standard. You could check out TOTO web site and get the measurements and then check some other manufacturer's sites to verify. The TOTO seats exactly match the curves, others probably would work, but may not look as well. Same is true with the color match, you might get close, but probably not exact (even with white - toto has two different whites). The way the seat fits, you probably couldn't use a seat cover, if that is your preference, though. If you're going to cover it up, I guess there is less of a reason to go with the TOTO.

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
American Standard makes a nice seat/lid that is quickly/easily taken off for cleaning. It's called the "Rise and Shine" and Bemis makes a slow closing lid/seat that also can be lifted off w/ the flip of knobs on the hinge. I have a Bemis one at home, I have two small kids and I'm responsible for cleaning the toilet so I really like it.

Last edited:

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Soft Close Toilet Seat

I bought a Toto soft close seat, to be honest it is very uncomfortable.
I ended up buying Church brand soft close and find that it works, the curves of the seat itself are not so drastic.

wjd

Reaction score
I just had an Dartmouth installed today and have the TOTO soft close seat too it is very uncomfortable as long as TOTO has been around I would think they would have come up with a better and comfortable seat what kind of seat will fit the Dartmouth? :mad:

WILLIAM

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Comfort is who you ask. I like the Toto Softclose seats, and don't like the flat seats out there. Well, maybe "don't" is a harsh word, saying I "prefer" the Toto is better I guess. :)
I have heard it the other way around too.
Most seats have been and still are flat, the Toto is curved. It fits me, what can I say?
I will say, that I do sell a lot of softclose seats to people that have tried and used them before.
I guess it's just one more thing to consider, do you like flat or curved?

All seats come in standard sizing. There is either regular (round) bowl or
elongated bowl.
If you find a seat you like, it will fit the toilet you choose. :)

The opening on the Church 585 builder grade seat is a little small then the Toto SS114 Softclose

Church 585 seat below

church_585_seat_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wjd

Reaction score
I have the Dartmouth by TOTO in Cotton White and I was told that if I buy another brand of toilet seat that the color will not match.

red_lover

Reaction score
I was... well, my CATS were wondering...

I have two toilet trained cats that might have had a problem with the slippery swooping Toto seat. Also, it appears that the Toto seat gets narrower towards the front as well, giving them less room to take their "stance". It took me 6 months to get them trained fully and all I need is one traumatic "dunking" to ruin all my patience and work.

Another big problem that I am wondering about is the fact that we HAVE to keep the "cover" lid OPEN all the time yet the "sitting" ring DOWN, correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that both the lid rings kind-of work together... meaning if I were to start the lower sitting ring on its slow downward journey would it pull the top lid down with it? I certainly don't want to have to go through a push-pull tugging match every time I want to put the sitting ring down (which of course is EVERY time dear :)

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Like the Toto seats

Goes to show you we are all different :) Personally I have found the Toto seats to be the most comfortable I have ever sat on. Great addition to my Library.

wjd

Reaction score
I have an Dartmouth TOTO toilet with the soft close seat and want to change it is there any other brand that will match the color that I have cotton white?

WILLIAM

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks