Toto Sanigloss finish. Worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cap'n Jan

Reaction score
Hi Terry,

I installed a Toto one piece ultramax elongated with sanigloss finish in March, 2010.

Now, either the cleaning fairies show up every night/week and clean that toilet or the sanigloss REALLY WORKS. I have only wiped down (with a sponge) the inside of the toilet a handful of times since installation - and it remains very clean. I am fastidious about the bathroom, so I would notice otherwise.

I read a review that said the sanigloss finish was 'garbage' and that it formed hairline cracks and made it very hard to clean. Have you had any experience with that? I would think it to be a manufacturing defect, but this might be something that happens down the road? (Possibly they used 'comet' or some other abrasive cleaner, not having read the instructions.)

I'd like to buy another one, as I am slowly (as $$ accumulate) replacing all toilets in this old house, but would like your comments on the sanigloss...

I appreciate your taking the time to answer these questions, Terry. Wish you were closer and I'd definitely hire you! It is impossibly hard to find good plumbers, so I end up doing it myself. I might screw it up and have to redo something, but dang, I didn't have to pay to get it messed up!

Thanks,

Cap'n Jan

Last edited by a moderator:

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I have a Toto Carlysle with Sanigloss that has been in place for about ten years now and it has no cracks. I rarely even have to use a brush on it, just a bit of bleach in the water every couple of weeks, let it set for ten minutes and then flush and it looks brand new.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been selling CEFIONTECT for over a decade. It is worth the money.

Here's a funny story; I went through cancer surgery last year, and they gave me an ileostomy bag to use for a while. When it's emptied, it's not like normal goo. Still reading?
With my TOTO bowls at home with CEFIONTECT, it's gone in one flush. Last night I went out dancing, and the Flushometer bowls, Kohler I believe they are, took seven flushes to clear the bowl. It's a little embarrassing staying in a stall and hitting the reset on the Flush unit. I really didn't want to leave it like it was. But what a friggin waste of time. And it's not just one brand either. I have this issue when I go out and the bowls don't have CEFIONTECT.
One time after softball, we went over to Laura's home, she has a Kohler Memoirs with the Ingenium flush. It has a "better" rinse then the Class five and the class six. It took four full tank flushes to clear the bowl with a little help on the fourth with some TP.
So I would say it depends. For me, at the moment with my special needs, it's a huge time saver and water saver to have the CEFIONTECT.
And frankly, I've sold so many bowls with CEFIONTECT over the years, and they are still all out there in service. But they don't post on forums that they bowls are still working. If there had been a problem, they would have brought them back, but they don't. The bowl downstairs, installed in 2006 is still shiny like the day I installed it.

Last edited:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
>>>(Possibly they used 'comet' or some other abrasive cleaner, not having read the instructions.)<<<

That would be my guess, you wouldn't believe how may people have ruined their toilet by using abravises. :(

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If I see one comment, then I take that with a grain of salt.
One person can say whatever and it doesn't mean it ever happened.

When I talk to plumbing salesmen, I've asked them, "What toilet do you have in your home?"
And I get this blank look, "Uh, I don't know."
So let's get this straight, you trying to sell me the best product out there, and you can't tell me what you use every day? Have you even tried the product you're selling?
Anytime I see a random comment, my first thought is, "Where is the picture?" Before I could comment, I would need something to comment on.

As far as bowls that do have cracks, that would be the Norris toilets I installed in the 70's. They are literally falling apart. I have some pictures of the Norris toilets.
I can't show you a picture of a Toto with cracks, because even though I've sold thousands of them, so far that's just an urban legend.
There is a reason that so may of the sales are repeat sales. Either second and third bathroom, or second or third home.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I had to make one critical comment about Toto toilets, it would be that CEFIONTECT is not standard on all of their toilets. I can't believe it would be that costly if applied to all. I don't have it on either of my toilets, and while this does not present a problem for us, it would be nice to have.

Cap'n Jan

Reaction score
Thanks to Terry and all concerning my question about sanigloss. I was hoping that it was just an anomaly, or, worse, a competitor trying to 'dump' on Toto. I just today cleaned that toilet, literally, for the first time. We are in a heavy limestone deposit area (Central Texas) and there is a lot of mineral buildup on most surfaces. It was just starting on the Toto, so I used a little Lime Away, which might get me in trouble, but it came off easily and I rinsed it thoroughly. I will report back if there are issues, but I rather doubt there will be.

Terry, sorry about your misfortune. I hope you are well soon (you went dancing!!) You are certainly providing a wealth of information to us folks who are amateurs. As I said, I would gladly hire you to do my plumbing, but dang, that is one heck of a commute! I'm about ready to take the plunge for another Toto for the guest bath, so I'll be up to my elbows in plumbing. I think I'll go with the Drake, as it is less $$ and easier for this 61 year old to 'handle'. But I really love that one piece design. It is a breeze to dust off!

Oh, the added benefit of a Toto low flow. We used to clearly see our septic evaporation field (stripes of green), now? It is uniform in color. I figure that we save, oh... 2 people x 8 flushes per day each, 5 gallons less per flush (we have VERY OLD TOILETS in the rest of the house) that comes out to a whopping 80 gallons per day of water savings.

I'm sold!

Cap'n Jan
(Yes, I am landlocked, but I have a boat over on the Coast only 4 hours away!!)

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last night my daughter needed an extra player on her softball team, so I grabbed my glove and went.
I wound up going 4 for 6, with a triple, a double and two singles. And then went dancing afterwards.
At the club I went dancing to, I was asked about working on a music video project.

My next major surgery is in September, I held them off until softball and hiking season are almost over.
They're going to "redo" the original surgery. The first surgery was a mess.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks