Toto repair and fill valve questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
So, my Ultramax is about 6-7 years old and I need to do some maintanence on it. After looking at it and doing some research, I went to Lowes and got a new Korky "for Toto GMAX" red flapper, and a Korky R528 flush cap in case I need it when I take the fill valve apart to clean it. Upon inspection, it looks like that not shutting off I hear is the flapper getting ready to fail, you can see where it looks like it's trying to collapse in one spot and letting water out of the tank.

I wanted to thank Terry for explaining the differences between the GMAX and Power Gravity systems! I couldn't find that info. anyplace else, so thanks much! So, per Terry the fill valve was the same part, the flush valve, flapper, and water height are the differences.

So, my main question is about the Korky parts. Is it true that they are equal to or better than the original Toto parts? Will the performance be the same?My plan is to replace the red flapper, and either clean or Replace the "cap" part of the fill valve.

Lastly, when did this new type of fill valve come out, the one with part number TSU18A? It also says "VORETO" in the description of the part. It supposedly replaces the older style fill valve. Does anyone know if this new fill valve is any better than the old one in some way or if it increases performance in any way? I wouldn't think so, it would seem to me that the performance is all related to how well the flush valve works...

Thank You

Lee

A side question is this universal quiet fill valve that looks just like the original Toto part except the cover on the top is white instead of blue: Did this part come from Toto's original design, adapted for general use because it works so well? I wondered what the difference was between this part and the 528T that says "for Toto?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toto just pays Korky to put their name on the valve they put in their toilets. But, I've been told that the ratio of tank to bowl fill rates are slightly different. That being the case, you may end up using a bit more water per flush. Toilet bowls tend to be overfilled to ensure they are at their maximum height (excess just flows over the weir and down the drain). Toto had the ratio tweaked so it fills the tank and the bowl evenly to minimize the water usage. You'll probably not notice any difference.

theplumber

Reaction score
There's nothing too fancy about any of these ballcocks. They all follow time proven mechanisms. Fluidmaster ballcocks would work just as well. They have a pro line that is supposed to have a model that is quieter due to a brass shank on the bottom.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Since the original fill valve fills the bowl a bit better then the Generic version, I like to replace the repair cap, instead of the entire valve.

The cap is $2.50, takes less then a minute to replace without tools.
Yeah, that's the way to go.

The replacement flappers are fine. And available.
The Red closes a bit quicker than the Blue.

The only purpose of the fill valve, is to replace the water. They don't affect performance.
What does effect performance is the switch to 3" from the previous 2" that has been common for the last 100 years.
The G-Max tanks have the water level higher, you need the taller overflow tube for that, and because the water drops quicker, they put in the Red, quicker closing flapper. Otherwise it would be dropping more than 1.6 gallons.

Korky 528T Replacement TOTO Toilet Fill Valve - Fits G-Max and Power Gravity Toilets -Easy to Install -Made in USA

www.terrylove.com/korky
thu175s.jpg

korky-quietfill-p600.jpg

toto-tank-parts-02.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks