Toto Promenade trip lever

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by chaviland, Mar 30, 2008.

1. chaviland

chaviland New Member

I am trying to re-attach the standard trip lever that comes with the Toto Promenade. It comes with a black rubber ring I would have guessed belongs between the outside of the tank and the chrome base of the lever (to prevent the metal from scratching the tank). However, the ring has a square (rather than circular) cutout in the center, which strongly suggests it belongs on the lifting mechanism inside the tank. Protecting the inside of the tank seems odd, but cutting a square hole in a ring that belongs outside the tank seems even more unusual. If it goes inside, then I suppose is it just acting like a lock-washer, and the outside of the tank does not need protection. If it goes on the outside, then I just don't understand the shape. Does anyone know if this ring belongs inside or outside of the tank?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

handle

I am not familiar with that particular one, but usually the piece goes inside the tank to orient the handle and the lock nut presses against it. It does not need outside protection against scratching because that piece does not turn.