Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
neo_500a_top.jpg

Toto Neorest 500

The Toto Neorest 500 by TOTO, has a warm seat, warm water wash, warm air dry and a deodorizer fan.
The flush is by a pump powered jet, and the rinse is a double cyclone, with two outlets with water at the upper part of the rim.
It's a quiet flush and a thorough rinse.

A wireless remote can be installed on the wall, or picked up and used that way too. In case someone walks away with the remote, there are also side buttons on the toilet.
The Neorest has a MANUAL OVERRIDE flush if you lose power.

neo_500a_side.jpg

neo_500_top2.jpg

Some of the controls under the cover.
By the way, TOTO also makes micro chips.
When you walk up to the toilet, the lip opens up.
After you leave, the lid closes.

neo-500-adapter-terrylove-01.jpg

It takes an adapter that holds two bolts at the back, and a block that receives a screw at the front.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
neo_500_shutoff.jpg

In the box comes a special shutoff for the braided hose.
Normally it would be angle more toward the bowl, but the bowl set too close for that.
The specs call for about 11.5" toward the left.

neo_500_box2.jpg

A nice big box that holds everything.

To buy in the Seattle area

neo_500_underside.jpg

The underside of the bowl.

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I've sold 15 last year and 6 so far this year.

I've only had one problem and it was installation error and this is what Toto told the installer over the phone and was fixed in 10 minutes.

"I've run into this problem before. In every case like this, it has been an installation problem. In fact, I can be certain that the problem is related to the small spring clip for the washlet supply hose. That clip is either lost, missing, or is not properly installed."

Last edited by a moderator:

nyc6035

Reaction score
neo_500_shutoff.jpg

In the box comes a special shutoff for the braided hose.
Normally it would be angle more toward the bowl, but the bowl set too close for that.
The specs call for about 11.5" toward the left.

[/URL][/CENTER]

You imply above that for the pictured install you went for a less than 11.5" OC from the middle of the toilet flange to the water supply. My question is...in looking at the drawings it appears at the base that the toilet is only 5.5" wide from center to either side. Why are they asking for 11.5" offset? I have about 8" to work with (small bathroom - even with all the drywall pulled back to get at the piping)....based upon your experience is 11" necessary? Would 8" (likely) work? While I'm at it, the schematic is also suggesting 6" from the floor for the water supply...I can see some part of that would be necessary due to the 'nose' of the fitting...but is that much truly necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The ones I installed had the water closer than the suggested distance.
Unless someone knows before the drywall is installed that the Neorest is to be installed, it's doubtfull that it will be at 11.5"
That being the case, you just do the best you can, with what you have.
8" should work on the supply.
Sometimes you can move the line outside of the wall too.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind that code requires 30" minimum, 15" either side of centerline for a toilet...8"? Hope there's more and that's just a restriction because of in-wall things.

nyc6035

Reaction score
Well I've completed installation of two of these in my home over the last few of weekends. It was a challenge because I: had to run electric; did in fact move the water lines out; found I needed dedicated power to the units as my lights in the bathroom were flickering (when using the dryer feature) after I finished the first install.

So after running a feeder cable through the basement and running the lines up...I was all set.

The install of the toilet itself was straight-forward. The biggest challenges were drilling through the ceramic tile floor (with a 2" mortar base) and the use of the supplied self tapping screws. I wound up stripping the self tapping screws (7 out of 8 times) and substituted tapcon screws instead. That worked fine.

The rest of the install went great...with the second unit taking waay less time than the first.

The unit itself it great. I've had the first unit in for a couple of weeks and only once has the system not cleared 100% of the debris in the first flush...and that 1 time it missed just 1% or so.

Good luck all you DIYers.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
Hi Terry.

I wanted to let you know that I FINALLY got my new toilet installed. I love it!

Everything seems to be working fine and Im enjoying playing with all the features. The only problem we had was getting the power line in. I need some wall repair now before the whole job is complete.
Steve
Portland OR

Gizmo

Reaction score
Hi

Is it possible with minor modification to use two sources of water with a TOTO Neorest toilet ?

I would like to use Grey water for the toilet flush and potable water for the washlet on the toilet.

thanks

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
Terry, since the toilet is so close to the plug, wouldnt you want/prefer to have a GFCI to plug into incase of some problem with water spray/mess etc. ?

Very nice install though.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most bathrooms have the GFI at the panel.
It's code to GFI the bathroom circuit, so adding a second GFI wouldn't make much sense.

avocats

Reaction score
We love our 500. But the power went out and the power and remote haven't reset. We can't find the manual right now; I know this happened before but it resolved itself. Any ideas?

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Here is the owners manual

Cause - In case of power failure or power cord disconnect.
Solution - It may not function normally on the day of the power outage, but should work normally starting the next day.

Also check to see if the Power is on

ms950.jpg

xucchini

Reaction score
Neorest 500 with 10" rough-in

Hello, I just put tile in my bathroom and I want to get a neorest 500 but I now have a 10 inch rough-in (well about 10.5 inches).

If I purchased the neorest 500 and a 10" unifit adapter would that allow me to install the neorest 500 with a 10" rough-in?

No, you need at least 11.5" for the adapter that comes with the Neorest500
The other adapters don't work with this model.
neo_500a_adapter.jpg

The back of this adapter hold the back bolts in the correct location for only the Neorest bowl.

xucchini

Reaction score
Hello, I just put tile in my bathroom and I want to get a neorest 500 but I now have a 10 inch rough-in (well about 10.5 inches).

If I purchased the neorest 500 and a 10" unifit adapter would that allow me to install the neorest 500 with a 10" rough-in?

The toilet is going onto tile which is done over a concrete slab.

I believe the existing drain is PVC.

So would an offset flange be my next best bet?

ChuckS

Reaction score
Talk about an electric chair, hate to see it short circuit during a good thought... That might raise the pucker factor.

Seriously, that is some throne. With that heated seat I would have to put the kid out to use it. She turns on the ones in the car during the summer.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I enjoy the warm seat on a toilet too.
If you want to make your wife happy, then get her a washlet or bidet seat.
It's total luxury.

xucchini

Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered the Neorest 500.

Going to try with an offset flange adapter, hopefully everything will work out...

I'll try to take pictures of the install as it happens.

Hope I am back in a few weeks with a positive story to tell. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks