Toto MS854114#01 Ultimate Elongated One-Piece Toilet- how to fix

Users who are viewing this thread

Anestis

Reaction score
https://greeceinperil.wordpress.com/2015/04/04/toilet/ (please see photo by clicking the link)

I flush and then the tank fills up but the water keeps running into the white perpendicular tube from the little black tube that is secured on the lip of the white tube with a metal clip. The only way to stop the flow is to shut the water off. I have wiggled the plastic screw on top of the blue unit to the left with a screwdriver to no avail. Any ideas will be appreciated (I am new at this DIY thing, but I need to get up to speed because I cannot afford plumbers. Honest). Many thanks.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Okay. Here's what's going on. The bottom line is that the fill valve, which is the blue thing, is set so that it doesn't turn off until the water level is too high, or it is broken. The reason that the water continues to flow out of the black tube is that it is continuing to flow generally out of that fill valve. The blue fill valve's job is to fill the tank and to refill the bowl. When you flush, it senses the tank level has dropped and starts filling the tank. While it is filling the tank, it simultaneously diverts a small percentage of the refill water into that black hose, to go down the overflow tube, to fill the bowl. The water to fill the bowl and the water to fill the tank both go on and off at precisely the same time. That is, the black hose won't run unlesd the fill valve is also filling the tank. And that is what is happening to you. How do I know this? Because I can see from your photo that the water level in the toilet is high enough that it is overflowing into the white overflow tube, not just coming out of the black hose. The water in the toilet should rise to about one-half inch below the top of that white tube. To lower the level at which the blue valve shuts off, you need to do more than wiggle the white screw. You need to turn it. I believe clockwise will lower the water level and counterclockwise will raise it, that is, the water level at which that valve shuts off. However, if I'm wrong, just do it the other way. If you turn and turn and turn and it makes no difference as to the water level at which the valve shuts off, then it needs to be replaced. That is an easy job. Get yourself a Korky max performance 528 MP valve, which you can get online, or at any Home Depot, and you want only the max performance one, which is the one with the silver cap. It is about a 10 minute job for a newbie to replace that valve. It's very easy. There are videos on how to do it on the Korky website. If you have any more questions, come back to us here. However, I think that a simple adjustment of that blue valve should do the trick for you.

Anestis

Reaction score
Okay. Here's what's going on. The bottom line is that the fill valve, which is the blue thing, is set so that it doesn't turn off until the water level is too high, or it is broken. The reason that the water continues to flow out of the black tube is that it is continuing to flow generally out of that fill valve. The blue fill valve's job is to fill the tank and to refill the bowl. When you flush, it senses the tank level has dropped and starts filling the tank. While it is filling the tank, it simultaneously diverts a small percentage of the refill water into that black hose, to go down the overflow tube, to fill the bowl. The water to fill the bowl and the water to fill the tank both go on and off at precisely the same time. That is, the black hose won't run unlesd the fill valve is also filling the tank. And that is what is happening to you. How do I know this? Because I can see from your photo that the water level in the toilet is high enough that it is overflowing into the white overflow tube, not just coming out of the black hose. The water in the toilet should rise to about one-half inch below the top of that white tube. To lower the level at which the blue valve shuts off, you need to do more than wiggle the white screw. You need to turn it. I believe clockwise will lower the water level and counterclockwise will raise it, that is, the water level at which that valve shuts off. However, if I'm wrong, just do it the other way. If you turn and turn and turn and it makes no difference as to the water level at which the valve shuts off, then it needs to be replaced. That is an easy job. Get yourself a Korky max performance 528 MP valve, which you can get online, or at any Home Depot, and you want only the max performance one, which is the one with the silver cap. It is about a 10 minute job for a newbie to replace that valve. It's very easy. There are videos on how to do it on the Korky website. If you have any more questions, come back to us here. However, I think that a simple adjustment of that blue valve should do the trick for you.

First of all, my sincere thanks for this comprehensive answer that surprised me so pleasantly. To call you a "life saver" would be an understatement. I shall immediately apply your instructions, experiment and if need be go for the new valve. You have a talent, my friend: you make newbies like me feel COMFORTABLE with the idea of actually using tools and/or getting their hands dirty!!! Thanks a million!!!!

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fill valve for Toto MS854114#01 Toilet
TSU51A Fill Valve , or TSU99A.X , or Korky 528MP

Here are some links that should help:

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/toto-leaky-gmax-fill-valve.14054/

http://assets.nationalbuildersupply.com/ul_pdfs/toto-Parts-ms854114s.pdf

https://www.plumbersstock.com/produ...e-assembly/?gclid=CNeTs62b3sQCFUMV7AodKHwAWw#

http://www.korky.com/index.php?p=Product&i=131

korky-quietfill-p.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
First of all, my sincere thanks for this comprehensive answer that surprised me so pleasantly. To call you a "life saver" would be an understatement. I shall immediately apply your instructions, experiment and if need be go for the new valve. You have a talent, my friend: you make newbies like me feel COMFORTABLE with the idea of actually using tools and/or getting their hands dirty!!! Thanks a million!!!!

Oh, you're too nice. I'm blushing. This is the fun of participating in this forum. One can come in a newbie, and pretty quickly learn to do some basic things that are fun, empowering, and money-saving. Let us know how it goes, and don't hesitate to come back with any questions.

If you do go get the Korky valve, here is a link to it at Home Depot, and here is the Korky web site installation video.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-QuietFill-MaxPERFORMANCE-Fill-Valve-528MCM/203145423

Note that on the Korky video, what they SAY about adjusting the refill water flow through the tube with that little knob is correct, but what they PRINT on the screen is backwards. It should be turn clockwise to raise the refill level in the bowl (add more water to the bowl), counterclockwise to lower the refill level in the bowl (add less water to the bowl).

PS On the blue valve you have, Toto says it's counterclockwise to lower the water level in the tank. I'm not sure that's right, but try it both ways to see how it works.

Anestis

Reaction score
Thanks a million!!!! I really appreciate your kind response and providing all these links. You're doing God's work helping me. We are so badly squeezed right now that I need to learn a lot of things VERY fast in order to do basic maintenance of the house. I deeply appreciate your gesture!!!!!

Anestis

Reaction score
Oh, you're too nice. I'm blushing. This is the fun of participating in this forum. One can come in a newbie, and pretty quickly learn to do some basic things that are fun, empowering, and money-saving. Let us know how it goes, and don't hesitate to come back with any questions.

If you do go get the Korky valve, here is a link to it at Home Depot, and here is the Korky web site installation video.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-QuietFill-MaxPERFORMANCE-Fill-Valve-528MCM/203145423

Note that on the Korky video, what they SAY about adjusting the refill water flow through the tube with that little knob is correct, but what they PRINT on the screen is backwards. It should be turn clockwise to raise the refill level in the bowl (add more water to the bowl), counterclockwise to lower the refill level in the bowl (add less water to the bowl).

PS On the blue valve you have, Toto says it's counterclockwise to lower the water level in the tank. I'm not sure that's right, but try it both ways to see how it works.
Oh, I'm just recognizing your wonderful willingness to help. And this gesture scores highest in my book. These are TOUGH times and helping hands are life savers-- literally! Now, I gotta do my homework and get down to business!!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks