Toto legato & cast iron pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Tex13

Reaction score
The plumber I have contacted to give me an estimate on bath remodel is telling me to keep my old 35 & 40 year old toilets because even the Toto Legato will not be enough water to push tissue paper out to the sewer main. He does agree that the legato does a good job on clearing the bowl.

What would you do, keep or replace the toilets?
Thanks

legato_01.jpg

TOTO Legato

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would go with the new toilet.
If you want to flush with more water, you can hold the handle down.
Just for reference, my mother has 1.28 and 1.6 gallon toilets using a sewer line that is 250 feet long.

Nothing looks worse in a new bathroom, than an old toilet that has been in use for forty years with forty year old styling. If you're paying labor to pull and reset and old $80 toilet, you may as well have something with new parts and passageways.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Waste from a flush does not got all the way to the main line with just that flush. I would suggest you get a new plumber.

Flapper

Reaction score
I've read multiple times a similar situation, and the lower flow does not affect it; the waste will (or should) get there eventually.
If the old toilets are in good condition and flush well, and you like them, then I wouldn't replace them. Except, if the higher efficiency of the new toilets would pay for itself. Or if there's a good rebate for a new toilet. Then I would get new toilets.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
mansfield_pa_angle.jpg

Oh sure, something this old would look wonderful in a new bathroom.

chalet_6202.jpg

Pretty spiffy!

The first thing I do when I move into a home is to pull the toilets and replace them. These customer toilets were all tossed.

Flapper

Reaction score
Oh sure, something this old would look wonderful in a new bathroom.
It's all a matter of preference; you may like modern toilets but some people may like old designs. A new bathroom doesn't necessarily have to be modern; it could be classic or retro. I kinda like the look of that toilet with the boxy tank. It actually looks like it might be modern.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
norris-toilet.jpg

The old Norris 6 gallon toilet that requires constant plunging to keep working.
I never did like the looks of this, and all of the TOTO toilets will outperform it.

Flapper

Reaction score
The old Norris 6 gallon toilet that requires constant plunging to keep working.
I never did like the looks of this, and all of the TOTO toilets will outperform it.
The functionality of the toilet is completely different than the looks. Better efficiency and performance is a good reason to get a new toilet, but replacing it for looks depends on people's own opinions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks