Toto is leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

willmed

Reaction score
I'm not getting any response in the toilet forum so I'll try here.

Installed a new Toto Guinivere one piece toilet in January with no problems. Last week it started leaking at the base on the right side. It definitely is not the supply and the water looks like it's been in the bowl as it's somewhat discolored.

Could the wax ring spontaneously start leaking after six months of no trouble? The toilet is rock solid on the floor. I'll pull it up, but wonder if I should have Toto's plastic base piece on hand before I do in case it needs to be replaced.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Will

PS: I bought this toilet from Terry and will call in the a.m. if no ideas are forthcoming here.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I thought I would give the other guys something to comment on, something are pretty basic. And this in one of those.

Most of the time, when someone calls saying there is discolored water at the base, I ask,

Is it happening other places? like the shower or the tub?
If so, it could be a mainline backup. In the Spring and Early Summer, more roots are growing.

Or, has someone been missing?

That happens more than you think.
I had one job that required me to keep pulling the bowl on an old Amerian Standard One-piece, until I finally told him that he had to turn the light on when he used the bathroom. There are only so many times you need to replace a good seal.

If those two things are not the cause, then you would be thinking bad seal at the flange. When it was installed, did the wax contact both the floor and the flange to make a tight seal?

I doubt that the rubber seal of the Unifit is at issue here. It's a little higher than the lower part of the trapway bend. It's like a funnel that accepts water from above. I can't see it being an issue unless, it's a mainline backup.

The trapway on the Toto is one of the best as far as smooth rounded bends and uniform and round sizing. A closet auger zips right through them. Unlike most other brands.

willmed

Reaction score
Terry thanks for answering. Definitely not a miss. It's along the side and no one's been using it since I started checking this out. No leaks elsewhere and it's a short straight shot out to the septic tank with nothing growing nearby except a little grass. I have access to the underside in the basement and there's no water there.

To me, it has to be at the wax ring [which I installed carefully] so it's coming up tomorrow and then I'll know, I hope.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks