Toto Gwyneth/Drake II/UltraMax???

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by organic_smallhome, Aug 17, 2009.

1. organic_smallhome

organic_smallhome New Member

I thought we had finally decided to purchase the Promenade, but one last trip to the bath store convinced my husband that he prefers the Drake II (formerly the Gwyneth?). Doing research on it has confused me a bit. This is what I think is the correct lay of the land:

The name "Gwyneth" was changed to "Drake II."

The "Ultramax" is the old "Gwyneth" but is a one-piece toilet.

The "Drake II" is also the old "Gwyneth," but is the two-piece toilet.

The "Drake II" comes with SanaGloss, an elongated bowl (no round bowl available), ADA compliant seat height, double cyclone rinse, requires a 12" rough, and is 1.28, but can be converted to 1.6, if necessary. Correct?

If so, my question is: Is converting the Drake II to 1.6 difficult for my plumber to do, and does it affect the quality of the flush or cause more problems down the line? (We currently have a 14" rough, but my plumber is moving it to 12" for us.)

Another question: Here's the spec sheet I found that Terry posted:

http://www.terrylove.com/pdf/cst454_spec.pdf

If I order this toilet, should I order it with this model # (CST454CEF(G), as a "Drake II," even though it's listed as a "Gwyneth"?

Finally, in selecting "Cotton White" or "Colonial White," which is the better "generic" white? We purchased this vanity, which as a very creamy, bright white sink.

Thank you for all your help.

Attached Files:

2. organic_smallhome

Okay, I found the update spec sheet. Apparently, it is the same as Terry's.

http://www.terrylove.com/pdf/cst454_spec.pdf

One more thing: I notice that the trapway on this toilet is only 2-1/8", rather than the preferred 3". Could somebody please tell me the difference, in terms of performance and durability?

Thanks.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Toto uses a 3" flapper, for their flushvalve between the tank and bowl.

They use a 2-1/8" trapway from the bowl to the floor flange.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Converting back to 1.6g takes about 30-seconds, and you can do it yourself (basically, take the weight off the flapper, or replace it). But, try it the way it comes, it works. Worse comes to worse, you can hold the handle down a bit and it will empty the tank more.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
  5. organic_smallhome

Thanks. My concern about 1.28 v. 1.6 is because I think I read somewhere on the forum--I think it was HJ who stated it (but not sure)--that the 1.28 doesn't always work as well in old houses.
  6. organic_smallhome

Got it. Clears that up for me, thank you. For some reason, I thought that some Totos had a 3" trapway.