Toto Guineveres Just Don't Work, Replace With Drake?

Users who are viewing this thread

slantsixdan

Reaction score
Arrrgh! In 2010 I replaced two Crane Drexel toilets from 1950, original equipment in my house, with two Toto Guineveres. The installation craftsmanship was top-notch (thanks, Terry & Co!) but the damn things just don't get the job done, by design. Bowl cleaning isn't just inadequate, it's nonexistent. Multiple "hold the lever down" full-tank flushes and/or a slosh of Simple Green and a scrub with the bowl brush are required each and every time, which eats up (and then some) the savings on reduced water usage. We've tried lots of tricks and tips; nothing's made them work acceptably, and my patience is past its end. I'll be taking my gripe to Toto (again) to see if they'll step up and make good on their philosphy.

What should I seek as replacements for these Guineveres? How about Drakes, will they really be better? They seem to get good ratings and reviews for both waste removal and bowl cleaning. Does anyone (Terry?) know if they can be had in Toto's #04 grey color?

Thanks in advance!

crane_drexel_yellow.jpg

Crane Drexel

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do the toilets you have include CEFIONTECT? That can really help. It's not available in every color, so that may be the missing part. The II versions of the toilets have the dual cyclone bowl wash, which improves on things, but CEFIONTECT really does make a difference, regardless. Some peoples' diets can result in very different end results when using a toilet as can how you sit on the thing. Ideally, you sit way back, which directs most stuff into the water spot, rather than the front slope, and that helps keep things cleaner.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is not a toilet made since 1992 that is going to replace the 1949 Crane Drexel.
All new toilets use 1.6 gallons or less. It's been that way for twenty years. If you hold the handle on the newer toilets, you can get as much as 2.5 gallons. But even then, nothing like the swimming pool of the Crane Drexel and the huge water storage tank that goes with it.

Crane Drexel

crane_drexel_yellow.jpg

Last edited:

slantsixdan

Reaction score
I should've asked a simpler, more direct question: Does the Drake have better bowl wash than the Guinevere?

(point by point: Yes, the Guineveres have CEFIONTECT. No, those Drexels were overdue when they were replaced, and they flushed sluggishly. Their good bowl cleaning had more to do with their large water pool preventing bowl soiling. And no, it's not a dietary thing; the Guineveres wash inadequately no matter who uses them or what s/he has been eating.)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Drake II is similar to the Guinevere in rinsing
My GF thinks the Drake II is self cleaning, but that's just because it replaced a Glacier Bay. It still needs the brush every so often. What you have now, is like what she has.

The original Drake is similar in rinsing except that the rinse comes straight down the bowl, instead of swirling.

One day I got a call from someone talking about a bowl with blades in it. Just the thought of blades was a scary thought. Was he thinking like wiper blades? Or like mower blades?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks