Toto G-Max valve blew - pressure too high!

Users who are viewing this thread

garyl53

Engineer
Reaction score
Well I had a G-Max valve completely blow off and flood a basement bathroom on a 8 year old Toto toilet on Christmas Eve. Damage was not to bad due to my son being close by when it happened so he shut off the water quickly. I recently discovered that the water pressure in my house is a nominal 105 psi and I don't have a PRV or and expansion tank so I can only assume the pressure must have increased and it broke the plastic tabs that hold the valve portion on to the part that is bolted to the ceramic tank. The highest I have measured the pressure is 115 psi but it is possible that it went higher. On my "To Do" list was to add the PRV and expansion tank. Looks like that will be a New Year weekend project. I was surprised that this would happen so I thought I would pass this along to those with high pressure in their homes.
Gary

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
At night many water cos. kick up the pressure while they refill tanks! Use a lazy hand gauge to read for 24 hours and see what the peak is.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We don't need to kick you when you're down, but 105 is quite unsatisfactory, and 115 is putting lots of things like washing maching hoses at risk. You really should take care of this right away.

Grazzy

Reaction score
i was thinking that sounded awfully high as well. i have a pump/pressure tank supplying city water to my house and we have it set at only 62 pounds.

garyl53

Engineer
Reaction score
Hi All,
Finally installed a PRV and expansion tank. Pressure is about 65 psi and so far has only varied to a max of 70 psi. The job was fairly straight forward. I think the hardest part was draining all of the water out of the piping back to the main shutoff.
Gary

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks