Toto Flapper Valve too small

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve Stamm

Reaction score
My Toto toilet was installed about two years ago. It had occasionally added a little water to the tank (partial flush). However, now it adds water to the tank every 5 minutes. We looked at the flapper valve and see that it does not completely cover the flush valve seat. Does anyone know if this is a generic problem with Toto toilets? Does Toto now provide replacement valves that are the correct size?

Reach4

Reaction score
Make sure there is a bit of slack in your chain.

Feel around the flush valve seat (under the flapper) to see if you can feel a flaw. Rub a damp cloth over the seat to wipe off any debris. If you have some silicone grease handy, you could very lightly lube the seat or flapper at the contact place.

If the trouble persists, replace the flapper. http://m.korky.com/home.php can help select the right part.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on your water quality, and especially if you use an in-tank cleaning tablet, eventually, the rubber in the flapper valve gets soft, and the top starts to collapse under the water pressure. When new, the outside rim is flat. My guess is that yours is now closer to a cone shape, and yes, eventually, it will leak. It's not exactly getting smaller, but the ability to cover the outlet and make a seal is no longer viable. Where I live, and my water, the things last about 4-5 years. I've heard that the newest versions have a bit more reinforcement, and that should help it stay flatter, and thus last longer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks