T0T0 Drake toilet product review

Users who are viewing this thread

Bill Deleeuw

Reaction score
Toto Drake

This toilet is, in my opinion, the best flushing 6 litre toilet in the market. Had one for two years, no problems, never plugged, even with big daddy usage, and never broke down. We just moved, and our current toilet, although a Toto, is not a G-Max, and flushes well, but not as well as the drake. My plan is to replace it with a drake, and also the big American standard downstairs that uses a swimming pool's worth of water to flush a pee and has plugged several times on us also. G-Max Totos are the BEST, and the Drake is the cheapest model.

Wired711

Reaction score
1.6 gps vs CEFIONTECT - need help

Hi folks,
This is my first post although I've been lurking for some time reading through the entire AS Cadet 3 forum and various posts in this one. I was seriously considering getting a Cadet 3 to replace our 3 "crappy" 9 year old 1.6 GPF builder grade toilets after a friend had one installed in his townhouse a month ago and reported good results. However, after reading about the numerous "hit or miss" quality control issues and the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the Drake, I've decided to spend a little more and get the Drakes.

Here's my quandary - my preference is to get the 1.6 GPF Drakes since they've been out longer than the relatively newly designed toilets that use 1.28 GPF and I get the sense that in "general" the 1.6s may give better bowl wash (although I realize that they are still low-flow). I also really like the idea of the CEFIONTECT and would like to get this feature since it also seems to help with bowl wash. The problem - I need a bone colored unit for my powder room and it seems that the 1.6 CEFIONTECT is ONLY available in white! That will be fine for my two white toilets upstairs but I really want CEFIONTECT for my powder room toilet since it gets the most traffic (so to speak). I will probably get the ADA height for the powder room toilet as well and standard height for the two upstairs toilets.

So, given that my primary motivation in replacing the toilets is performance, can anybody help me figure out if it is more important to get the 1.6 GPF Drake in bone but not available with CEFIONTECT (please correct me if I'm wrong about this) or if it's better to get 1.28 in bone that DOES come with CEFIONTECT? I guess another way to ask this is:

1. Are you finding that the CEFIONTECT really does make a positive difference?
2. Do you think (from personal experience or otherwise) that the 1.6 GPF Drakes perform better than the 1.28 GPF Drakes?
3. Does anybody know if the 1.6 Drakes with CEFIONTECT ARE available in bone but I've somehow missed it?

Thanks to all for your valuable input and thanks to Terry for this great site!
Cheers!
Wired

Drake 800 grams by Veritech Video

Last edited by a moderator:

Wired711

Reaction score
re: 1.6 gps vs CEFIONTECT - need help

Anybody? I've got plumbers working on quotes for both the 1.6 GPS and the 1.28 GPS and would like to consider your knowledgeable feedback before pull'n da trigga! I'd really appreciate it.

Wired

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't have an answer for you as I don't have a comparison. I'm waiting for the truck that has my EcoDrake with CEFIONTECT to come in. Get this: my Toto is stuck in Kansas...oh the irony. "I'll get you my pretty and your little dog too!" :eek:

My understanding is that the flapper on the Eco (1.28 gpf) can be modified to turn the toilet back into 1.6 gpf Drake if needed. That's my back up plan and why I decided to give this a go. If it works as intended I plan to buy two more.

Wired711

Reaction score
RWB,
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, in doing some more poking around the boards, I did find some discussion about being able to modify the 1.28 flapper to still get a 1.6 flush if the 1.28 GPF wasn't working out. Also, I read that you could also hold down the handle a little more which some said empties the whole tank (rather than 1/2 the tank) and gets more of a flush like a 1.6. Don't know if that one is true or not but at least the flapper thing does give me a remediation plan if I find that 1.6 GPF isn't doing the job.

Please do let me know whow things work out for you once it is installed and hopefully the great OZ or anybody else "behind the curtain" can help move that Eco Drake outa Kansas for you. If not, you might try clicking your heels together.

Wired

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 1.28 works fine.
I have one in the master.

If you hold the handle down, it's more like flushing with 3 gallons.

The CEFIONTECT is nice.

In the Seattle area, I'm bringing in some toilets.
http://terrylove.biz/

They only need 9-1/4" to install.

CST744EF.10 or CST744SF.10

Comfort height, elongated bowl with either the 1.28 gallon Watersense Eco Flush
or the 1.6 gallon G-Max flush.
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744ef.10.pdf

Last edited:

Wired711

Reaction score
The 1.28 works fine.
I have one in the master.

If you hold the handle down, it's more like flushing with 3 gallons.

The CEFIONTECT is nice.

Thank you for the reply Terry. Would you mind quantifying just a bit specific to the questions I posted? This would help a lot. Thanks again!

2. Do you think (from personal experience or otherwise) that the 1.6 GPF Drakes perform better than the 1.28 GPF Drakes?
3. Does anybody know if the 1.6 Drakes with CEFIONTECT ARE available in bone but I've somehow missed it?

cst775cefg-03-terrylove-01.jpg

Round front Drake CST775CEFG-03
3/22/2022

Last edited by a moderator:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score

I have the Soiree with CEFIONTECT and for cleaning i find a big difference (positive)

1.6gpf has a map test of 900 and the 1.28 has a map test of 600, so yes it does flush less, but 600 is a great performance.
Would you notice a difference, no you wouldn't.

CEFIONTECT is only available in White and only #01 Cotton White

Wired711

Reaction score
Peanut9199,
Thank you for addressing each of my questions. I really do appreciate it. I think we will go with the 1.28 gpf, CEFIONTECT, Comfort Height in Elongated / Bone (to match color/style of what we have now in powder room). For upstairs (master & hallway) still deciding if we'll go with 1.28 or 1.6 gpf since those are white anyway so I could get CEFIONTECT in either gpf. I'm leaning toward the 1.28 at this point given the feedback I've gotten since I could always "apply" more water to the flush if I wanted to (flapper mod or just hold handle down longer). It seems that in most cases it sounds like the 1.28 will seem to do the job anyway. Thanks again to you and everyone with their helpful replies.

Wired

Wired711

Reaction score
You cannot get the CEFIONTECT in Bone.

I knew I couldn't get 1.6 CEFIONTECT in bone but I thought I saw the 1.28 gpf + CEFIONTECT was available in multiple color choices including bone. I guess I'll have to double-check that. Thanks for the reply.

Peanut9199

Reaction score
The bowls are both 1.28 and 1.6gpf the difference is the tank that what makes it either 1.28 or 1.6 as in ST743E (1.28) or ST743S (1.6).

The bowls are C744EG "E" is actually classed as 1.28 and the "G" is the CEFIONTECT.
Although it is classed as 1.28 it will also take 1.6gpf.
It doesn't matter if you add more water to the bowl, but it wouldn't work if the bowl was designed for 1.6 and you try to put 1.28 in there wouldn't be enough water in the tank to get rid of the water in the bowl.

Hope that's makes sense.

Wired711

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense and I realize now that it's not gonna be CEFIONTECT that makes me decide on 1.6gpf vs 1.28gpf since I the bone color doesn't exist for CEFIONTECT regardless. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Drake II can be gotten with CEFIONTECT and Bone.
CST454CEFG-03

Otherwise, you would be looking at the Vespin CST764SG-03
Bone with CEFIONTECT
Basically a deluxe Drake

Wired711

Reaction score
The Drake II can be gotten with CEFIONTECT and Bone.
CST454CEFG-03

Otherwise, you would be looking at the Vespin CST764SG-03
Bone with CEFIONTECT
Basically a deluxe Drake

Is the Drake II the name for the Drakes that are 1.28 gps (aka EcoDrakes)? That was my impression. I'll also check the Toto site. Thanks Terry, I'm getting dizzy between thinking I can get the Drake+CEFIONTECT+Bone in 1.28gpf and then thinking I can't.

Edit: OK, I've looked into it and see that Drake II has the 1.28 GPF Double Cyclone Flushing System. Looks like this may add around $30-$50 or so. Thanks.

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Reaction score
Eco-Drake is just a regular Drake with a float on top of the flapper that closes it faster allowing only 1.28 gallon of water to leave the tank.
The Drake II used to be called the "Gwyneth" and they just changed the name to Drake II.
Toto has done this often not sure if it is because the Gwyneth name was trade marked by someone else or because it was too hard to pronounce.

The Drake II is a very good toilet it has all the options that Toto gives:
Double cyclone flush (good for rim wash)
CEFIONTECT (good for cleaning)
Eco (1.28gpf)
Universal Height (2" taller rim, good for getting up and down easier)

Map test on it is 800grams

Last edited:

Wired711

Reaction score
Great info Peanut. Thanks! (I'll have to check with the local supplier and also the plumber who are both working up estimates for me and see how much this change would bump up the price). I'm considering quotes from the supplier and do it myself (or provide those parts to my plumber) vs. having the plumber provide the parts/labor as a package.

Reaction score
Eco Drake review

Initial review: Eco Drake elongated, standard height with CEFIONTECT (1.28 gpf Watersense certified)

Replacement for 1994 round Gerber (three of them in the home.) MaP for the old toilet is about 150, with a 1.6 gpf nominal flush. This is a test install, ironically in place of the only Gerber that has not clogged on us. I wanted to see the new Drake in place before ordering for the other two baths and this one is in the master bath so that I could judge its performance more closely.

Appearance:
The Eco Drake is a very attractive toilet with simple lines. The bowl was made in Vietnam according to its box. The tank was U.S. made according to its box. In the bowl there is a slight geometric left/right assymetry of the forward water siphon ledge that is under the water line. Underneath at the trap outlet ledge there was also a slight deformation toward the backside of the toilet. If this had been a showroom situation rather than an order, I probably would have rejected the bowl for another because of the cosmetic blemish. I'm curious to see how the next two look. If they look better I might move this one to the basement or even request an exchange.

Install:
Install was straightforward with regards to assembling the toilet. No problem achieving 3 points of contact with a little tightening, no leaks anywhere. The closet flange face in the home was over 1/4" below tile level that was being compensated for with a jumbo wax seal on the old toilet. Rectified this with a Sioux Chief 7/16" extension ring.

Performance:
No problems observed so far, only three full days of use.

Flushes quickly and cleanly...emphasizing cleanly. Material would sometimes stick to the porcelain of the Gerber, especially at the back above the tiny water spot. This sometimes required a second flush and other times a brush. I've not yet seen any reason for a second flush with the Drake. The toilet will save a lot more water than the 1.6 to 1.28 gpf nominal difference.

The waterspot of the Toto is well conceived. The depth in the actual trap is better than the old Gerber at keeping smelly solids below the surface. The shallow pool surrounding that provides a generous waterspot (about 4 times the area of the Gerber.) The Gerber's poor waterspot/trap design led to extra courtesy flushes to minimize odor as well as trying to prevent stains/skid marks.

The elongated bowl and larger waterspot is a big improvement for me (male) when doing my business at night without turning on any lights. No annoying drips and I can hear that I've hit the ample water target immediately. When seated the elongated bowl also eliminates unwanted contact of an appendage with the front of the rim--so glad to be rid of the round bowl!

During flushing I've not observed any splash, mist, or spray from the bowl so far. I also did a seated flush to verify this impresson. Overall, this is a much more hygenic toilet than what I've been saddled with in the past.

Water consumption: I've only done a crude water meter test so far of two separate flushes. They came in at ~1.4 gpf +/- about .1 gpf. I'll retest with multiple flushes when I get a chance. Things such as the level and chain appear to be properly adjusted, but I'll recheck them. By comparison the Gerber came in at 1.8 gpf vs. 1.6 nominal.

Conclusion: I've requested two more Eco Drakes through the supply house. :cool: They will get more difficult duty and I'll learn if there are any flush performance issues. The other two Gerbers have both clogged once in the past 48 hours. :( The Drakes can't come soon enough...

Romumok

Reaction score
Interesting observation

Hello All. I am newby here.

I just got installed a Drake Elongated ADA toilet to replace an OK Eljer Patriot 1.6 gpf per Terry’s recommendations. The Eljer was able to handles all my needs but I got tired of wasting extra water in a second flush to completely clean the bowl. Most of the time there are always some residues left behind. But the main reason is that my wife always clog the toilet as a result of one of her side effects of being pregnant i.e. constipation. So as a devoted husband, I have to unclog the toilet every time she uses it. :eek:

There is the interesting observation. I will describe it without too grossing you out. After the install, everything is so far so good. The Drake has a powerful flush, water doesn’t splash out compared with the Eljer. So far I am happy. The next day I took the toilet for a real world test flush. Once done, I push the lever and whoosh! Everything there is gone!. I was happy until my wife had to go. After a short time, my wife calls me and said she clogged the TOTO. Yep, she did it. :eek:

She made the mistake of trying of flush again and the water level was about 3 inches before spilling out from the bowl. No problem, I pulled out the plunger and began to work. Nope! It didn’t bugged. Tried again and still nothing. Definitely is not excessive paper. So I pulled my little hand crank auger and once I inserted it about a foot, I felt the obstruction. Apparently, two chunks of solids got wedged side by side plus some paper made the toilet clogged. So, I just pushed the obstruction a bit and next thing there was a big whoosh! Everything went down to the drain. I was really surprised since it was a first time I have seen this. Other toilets will flush but not as powerful as I have seen when gets unglogged. I have to say, the trapway design is very efficient without any tight turns.

My wife felt bad that even we spent a good amount of money for a good toilet she still able to clog the toilet. I told her not to worry that could be an unusual situation. To end this story, I just got a call from my wife. She told me that this time NO clogged TOTO toilet! Yey! Everything went down with a single flush! Now she is happy. Therefore, I am happy.! :)

cheers!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks