T0T0 Drake toilet product review

Users who are viewing this thread

Whtdove3

Reaction score
We had a Toto Drake 1.6 gpf, round seat, installed last week and am very pleased so far. My hubby was a bit taken back by the low water in the bowl, but came out the first day and said, "One flusher...thumbs up!"

:D

Photon1

Reaction score
I bet the wax ring is pushed over the hole. I just don't see how a normal persons poo could plug this toilet....even if you use 5 large wads of TP it really shouldn't plug.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I purchased the Kohler Cimarron at Home Depot. Before the installer came I read about the Toto Drake on this board.

I happily returned the Cimarron and purchased a Toto Drake (ADA) model.

I had it professionally installed.

I was underwhelmed by the flush but read that most of the action was below the water surface.

The very first time out (under real conditions) it clogged and I had to plunge.

I am at a total loss as I read most if not all of the very positive posts here and I don't recall a one clog or negative comment about this product.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Since I made my decision based in information from this site and forums I though it only proper to post. I replaced 20+ year old toilet with a basic round seat Eco Drake. I cannot believe that I can be so enamored with a toilet. This thing is great you flush, everything goes away and the bowl is clean. The first flush I though something was wrong because of the low water flow. One thing I really like is that there is none of the noise or potential parts failure of a pressure assist system. A good gravity design is the way to go!

Thanks
Robert

Toto Drake Installation instructions

I installed them 3 months ago and I still smile every time I flush:D

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
toto drakes

I've got two toto drakes and i think for 1.6 gpf toilets they are one of the best toilets out their but they are still left in the dust by my 1959 "standard". I've had one of them installed for 2.5 years it's a round bowl model it has clogged but not with waste but rather with toilet paper, that was in my bathroom upstairs for two years then before christmas i moved it to our downstairs bathroom to make room upstairs for my "standard". the downstairs bathroom is the one my mom uses and the last two toilets i tested down their got complaints of too much smearyness the drake smears much less than the other two but still can smear pretty bad. since it's been in the downstairs bathroom it hasn't clogged once except when my dad tried to flush old vegetable soup down it with whole carrots in it:eek:, then i had to get the auger out:( . overall i think it's one of the best performing 1.6 gpf toilets on the market and it really passes the test in our house and we've put it through hell in the past 2.5 years. the second drake i got at christmas that's an elongated model i just set it up outside today for testing it performs just as great as the first one though im not ready to install it yet.

my moms friend has three drakes in they're three year old house they've had theirs clog too but just on toilet paper they're happy with there's and that's actually how i discovered toto's and decided i had to have one.

i very strongly recommend them to everyone i know.

Jonathan

Last edited:

PaulDV

Reaction score
Height of ADA toilet at 17"????

I just had an ada Drake installed. Great toilet, but a little to tall (measures at 17"). I have an American Standard Champion right height that is 16 1/2" tall. Just right.
The specs for the Drake ADA say that it is supposed to be 16 1/2" tall. I don't understand how the spec could be that far off.
The 1/2" should not make such a difference but it seems to.

I want to replace the American Standard with the same Drake but really want 16 1/2".

Can someone measure the height of their drake an see if its also 17" tall. (measurement without the seat)

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
Terry,
Thanks for the help yesterday and recommending the Drake. It works great!

J.D.
Snohomish WA

Your qualified model is the Toto Eco Drake CST744E

drake_spec_gif.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Hudson

Reaction score
Purchase Experience Toto Drake CST744SL

After reading this forum, I decided on a Drake Elongated ADA toilet...CST744SL. I'm in NC. I went to the TotoUSA website and found the nearest supplier and called them. They said they had the CST744SL and gave me a price. I drove to the supplier and picked it up. When I got home, the tank said Eco on it....see attached picture. I called the supplier, she said that she could no longer get the 1.6 GPF Drake tank and by law she had to sell the Eco tank. She assured me that all was well and I called my plumber who installed it. The combination flushed very well. I noticed that the water didn't fill up to the place in the bowl where it looked like it should. Also the tank moved on the bowl...plumber error I believe. The bowl said 1.6 GPF; the tank said 1.28 GPF. I emailed TOTOUSA Support...they promptly replied that the combination was wrong and that I should have a ST743S tank. I called the supplier who said she would swap the Eco tank with one in the show room. She had someone check it out before I swapped the tank. When I got home to install it, it was missing hardware to connect the tank to the bowl. It was missing the hose and clip that goes from the Gmax fresh water inlet valve to the downspout. I bought 2 sets of hardware to get the identical bolt setup as in the installation instructions and a corky valve device to get the correct hose and clip. I finished the installation myself...the water in the bowl is correct...the unit flushes like none other. The tank fits tightly on the bowl. I love it...If you don't suceed at first try again! From all of the excitement above I learned that one should check and double check before you take anything off of the loading dock. If you get a Drake you should end up with 2 boxes a bowl with C744SL and a ST743S tank. Since I had half an Eco for a week, I found that the Eco really works well, and that will be my next purchase.

Question: Should water and air bubbles come out of the base of the GMax/Korky style inlet valve...(all inside the tank)?

toto drake eco small.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Question: Should water and air bubbles come out of the base of the GMax/Korky style inlet valve...(all inside the tank)?

Yes the water does come out of the bottom of the Korky and it usually will have bubbles as well.

Sorry to hear everthing got mixed up at the supplier. Usually things work out better than that.

I like those boxes that say made in USA...

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That forum got off to a rough start but it looks like the investors kicked it up a notch in the end...

Looks like Toto Drake is a winner in the investment community...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With the Drake, you can use the E bowl with either the S tank or E tank.

I haven't seen an S bowl in some time now.

When they pull fixtures out of a showroom, any number of things could be robbed. Sometimes, knowing they will never see water, they barely assemble them.

Hudson

Reaction score
One last Question

Thanks for the helpful replies!

When you flush the Toto Drake...and do not hold down the lever, only about half of the water goes out of the tank.

I think that's by design, but I'm not sure.

Hudson

Reaction score
With the Drake, you can use the E bowl with either the S tank or E tank.

I haven't seen an S bowl in some time now.

Does that mean that the classic CST744SL with the C744SL bowl is hard to come by?

I can't tell a difference between the two bowls side by side.
I can tell that the tanks use different parts.
Terry

drake_spec_gif.gif

Hudson

Reaction score
Is this correct?

A Toto Drake tank properly filled has about 3 gallons of water. If you push down the handle till it stops and promptly let it go (Toto calls it a "full stroke".) then a 1.6 gallon flush takes place. That means that you still have about 1.5 gallons left in the tank just in case you need a second flush...a full 1.5 gallon, no wait flush. This second flush could be needed not to flush "bulk" but as a bowl wash.

The details and coaching you get on these forums are invaluable!
I'm searching for an excuse to go get an Eco Drake Elongated ADA or an Eco Elongated ADA Ultramax to replace my old 3.5 gpf perfectly good toilet.

Since water is plentiful and prices are low, it would take about 14 years to get payback on an Eco Drake ADA Elon.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The reason ALL (well, probably all) 1.6g flush toilets (and smaller) have more water in the tank is to provide pressure...it's the height that's important. If you were to try to immediately flush again, it wouldn't be very forceful. Now, since you didn't use much, and it starts filling as soon as you flush...don't know.

Hudson

Reaction score
are there any MAPP test results for the Drake II?

800 Grams for the 1.28 gallon version

Oclaw714

Reaction score
Just installed Total Drake - Awesome!

Toto toilets are the best period. Absolutely love my elongated Drake. Don't understand why the other companies can't just copy the design. 60% of the toilets at Lowes and Home Depot are weak and considered junk. 30% are mediocre.

It's not rocket science, yet AS and Kohler still produce weak perfoming toilets and charge you a premium. I refuse to pay more for a inferior product.

Toto toilets are taking over America and soon Europe. Reminds me of a company named Toyota that took over the U.S number 1 sales slot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks