Toto Drake toilet product review

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Reader Review, Jan 27, 2006.

1. oneilljf

oneilljf New Member

Thanks Terry. Sounds like I have a little work to do for the best results
  2. suceress

suceress Member

This is an update: I purchased two Toto Drakes with SanaGloss almost a year ago. Due to natural disasters, injuries, illnesses, and various other lemons life has thrown at us, we've only installed one. It is currently the only working toilet in the house with four people (one of them is large enough to be two people-- and eats enough for three people).

The Drake is the first low-flow toilet we've owned and it took some getting used to. Certain people with digestive problems tend to spray diarrhea all over the bowl (above the waterline-- which didn't happen in the old toilets because the water level was so high). I imagine the SanaGloss would work fine if the toilet was cleaned immediately after. Unfortunately, the offenders don't clean up after themselves and I've been left to try to clean it up. I really have to scrub to get that stuff out. (Are there any special toilet brushes that are safe to use without scratching the finish?-- I think the SanaGloss finish in mine is now pretty much ruined from having to be scoured). Cling gel has made the cleaning a bit easier for me, but I don't know if it is worse on the finish-- the bowl is so stained now that I think the point is moot.

I'd also like to note that I was ignored when I told people in my household not to use the blue stuff in the tank-- and it will stain the bowl around the waterline (I'm not sure if this is permanent because it was covered by the iron/rust stain). Also, if you have unfiltered/unsoftened water like me (and have a lot of iron in the water) it will stain the SanaGloss. The water from my faucets comes out anywhere from yellow to red to brown and tends to yellow everything (I'm working on getting a water softening and filtering system setup, but we will need to pour cement first).

The toilet itself has only clogged about two or three times (not counting the past few weeks because the septic tank overflowed) and was easily cleared with a plunger. Even when clogged, I didn't really have an overflow problem until the septic tank got too full (we think maybe the overflow pipe from the septic tank needs to be cleared). Our old toilets were clogged once or twice every month, so this is a vast improvement.

The only other thing I will mention is that the lid on the back doesn't have a lip to hold it in place so it tends to slide when bumped. It's not a big deal, but its something to take into consideration if you care about that sort of thing.

Overall I'm still satisfied with the toilet. If you're not used to low flow it can make cleaning more challenging, but it flushes well.

I hope this made sense and was at least moderately helpful to people. Mostly, don't make the mistakes my family made. Get your water filtered first and don't use the blue stuff! (And if you are a sprayer-- please show some courtesy and wipe the brown away immediately so it doesn't dry on and stick).
  3. whtdove3

whtdove3 New Member

We had a Toto Drake 1.6 gpf, round seat, installed last week and am very pleased so far. My hubby was a bit taken back by the low water in the bowl, but came out the first day and said, "One flusher...thumbs up!"

:D
  4. Photon1

Photon1 New Member

I bet the wax ring is pushed over the hole. I just don't see how a normal persons poo could plug this toilet....even if you use 5 large wads of TP it really shouldn't plug.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I purchased the Kohler Cimarron at Home Depot. Before the installer came I read about the Toto Drake on this board.

I happily returned the Cimarron and purchased a Toto Drake (ADA) model.

I had it professionally installed.

I was underwhelmed by the flush but read that most of the action was below the water surface.

The very first time out (under real conditions) it clogged and I had to plunge.

I am at a total loss as I read most if not all of the very positive posts here and I don't recall a one clog or negative comment about this product.
  5. 99k

99k Radon Contractor and Water Treatment

I installed them 3 months ago and I still smile every time I flush:D
  6. gusherb94

gusherb94 Member

toto drakes

I've got two toto drakes and i think for 1.6 gpf toilets they are one of the best toilets out their but they are still left in the dust by my 1959 "standard". I've had one of them installed for 2.5 years it's a round bowl model it has clogged but not with waste but rather with toilet paper, that was in my bathroom upstairs for two years then before christmas i moved it to our downstairs bathroom to make room upstairs for my "standard". the downstairs bathroom is the one my mom uses and the last two toilets i tested down their got complaints of too much smearyness the drake smears much less than the other two but still can smear pretty bad. since it's been in the downstairs bathroom it hasn't clogged once except when my dad tried to flush old vegetable soup down it with whole carrots in it:eek:, then i had to get the auger out:( . overall i think it's one of the best performing 1.6 gpf toilets on the market and it really passes the test in our house and we've put it through hell in the past 2.5 years. the second drake i got at christmas that's an elongated model i just set it up outside today for testing it performs just as great as the first one though im not ready to install it yet.

my moms friend has three drakes in they're three year old house they've had theirs clog too but just on toilet paper they're happy with there's and that's actually how i discovered toto's and decided i had to have one.

i very strongly recommend them to everyone i know.

Jonathan
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  7. pauldv

pauldv New Member

Height of ADA toilet at 17"????

I just had an ada Drake installed. Great toilet, but a little to tall (measures at 17"). I have an American Standard Champion right height that is 16 1/2" tall. Just right.
    The specs for the Drake ADA say that it is supposed to be 16 1/2" tall. I don't understand how the spec could be that far off.
    The 1/2" should not make such a difference but it seems to.

I want to replace the American Standard with the same Drake but really want 16 1/2".

Can someone measure the height of their drake an see if its also 17" tall. (measurement without the seat)
  8. Reader Review

Reader Review Comments by readers

Terry,
    Thanks for the help yesterday and recommending the Drake. It works great!

J.D.
    Snohomish WA

Your qualified model is the Toto Eco Drake CST744E

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
  9. hudson

hudson New Member

Purchase Experience Toto Drake CST744SL

After reading this forum, I decided on a Drake Elongated ADA toilet...CST744SL. I'm in NC. I went to the TotoUSA website and found the nearest supplier and called them. They said they had the CST744SL and gave me a price. I drove to the supplier and picked it up. When I got home, the tank said Eco on it....see attached picture. I called the supplier, she said that she could no longer get the 1.6 GPF Drake tank and by law she had to sell the Eco tank. She assured me that all was well and I called my plumber who installed it. The combination flushed very well. I noticed that the water didn't fill up to the place in the bowl where it looked like it should. Also the tank moved on the bowl...plumber error I believe. The bowl said 1.6 GPF; the tank said 1.28 GPF. I emailed TOTOUSA Support...they promptly replied that the combination was wrong and that I should have a ST743S tank. I called the supplier who said she would swap the Eco tank with one in the show room. She had someone check it out before I swapped the tank. When I got home to install it, it was missing hardware to connect the tank to the bowl. It was missing the hose and clip that goes from the Gmax fresh water inlet valve to the downspout. I bought 2 sets of hardware to get the identical bolt setup as in the installation instructions and a corky valve device to get the correct hose and clip. I finished the installation myself...the water in the bowl is correct...the unit flushes like none other. The tank fits tightly on the bowl. I love it...If you don't suceed at first try again! From all of the excitement above I learned that one should check and double check before you take anything off of the loading dock. If you get a Drake you should end up with 2 boxes a bowl with C744SL and a ST743S tank. Since I had half an Eco for a week, I found that the Eco really works well, and that will be my next purchase.

Question: Should water and air bubbles come out of the base of the GMax/Korky style inlet valve...(all inside the tank)?

Attached Files:

10. hudson

hudson New Member

11. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Yes the water does come out of the bottom of the Korky and it usually will have bubbles as well.

Sorry to hear everthing got mixed up at the supplier. Usually things work out better than that.

I like those boxes that say made in USA...
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  12. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

That forum got off to a rough start but it looks like the investors kicked it up a notch in the end...

Looks like Toto Drake is a winner in the investment community...
  13. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

With the Drake, you can use the E bowl with either the S tank or E tank.

I haven't seen an S bowl in some time now.

When they pull fixtures out of a showroom, any number of things could be robbed. Sometimes, knowing they will never see water, they barely assemble them.
  14. hudson

hudson New Member

One last Question

Thanks for the helpful replies!

When you flush the Toto Drake...and do not hold down the lever, only about half of the water goes out of the tank.

I think that's by design, but I'm not sure.
  15. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Yes that is by design.
  16. hudson

hudson New Member

Does that mean that the classic CST744SL with the C744SL bowl is hard to come by?

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
  17. hudson

hudson New Member

Is this correct?

A Toto Drake tank properly filled has about 3 gallons of water. If you push down the handle till it stops and promptly let it go (Toto calls it a "full stroke".) then a 1.6 gallon flush takes place. That means that you still have about 1.5 gallons left in the tank just in case you need a second flush...a full 1.5 gallon, no wait flush. This second flush could be needed not to flush "bulk" but as a bowl wash.

The details and coaching you get on these forums are invaluable!
    I'm searching for an excuse to go get an Eco Drake Elongated ADA or an Eco Elongated ADA Ultramax to replace my old 3.5 gpf perfectly good toilet.

Since water is plentiful and prices are low, it would take about 14 years to get payback on an Eco Drake ADA Elon.
  18. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

I doubt that will always be the case, but that's another debate.
  19. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The reason ALL (well, probably all) 1.6g flush toilets (and smaller) have more water in the tank is to provide pressure...it's the height that's important. If you were to try to immediately flush again, it wouldn't be very forceful. Now, since you didn't use much, and it starts filling as soon as you flush...don't know.
  20. Jetta Whirlpool Baths

Jetta Whirlpool Baths New Member

Now presenting the Drake II

Formerly the Gwyneth: 1.28 Cyclone flush, ADA Universal Height, Sanagloss and only $20 more then the ADA Drake!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2014