T0T0 Drake toilet product review

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is there a Drake tank model that is insulated?
The Eco tank only lets out a little bit of water.
If you are "draining" the tank, you must be holding the handle down.

Try just pushing and letting go of the trip lever, the flapper will only stay up for a second. The most of the water will stay in the tank, and you shouldn't have a sweating problem.

Toto does make a ST743SD insulated tank.

Wanderso97140

Reaction score
Thanks. You're right on the quick flush. As I talked with family members further, I found that the days with sweating were heavier use (such as guests over the holidays). Makes sense that the heavier use would add to it. Also, I think guests are surprised at how little water is required and likely proceeded to empty the tank rather than the quick flush. Since things have gone back to the more standard use, the problem has gone away. I have a 2nd toilet to replace soon, but wanted to test out the drake first on the higher use bathroom. I suppose if the problem returns, ordering an insulated tank and doing that swap could make sense.

Probedude

Reaction score
Installed my Eco Drake today

Installed my Eco Drake today. The installation was uneventful. Much shorter flush than the old 3.5gpf 1964 vintage toilet it replaced.

Observations
- bowl has a label stating it's 1.6GPF or less. (Others have mentioned the Eco Drake and Drake are the same other than the flapper float.)

- bottom flange of the toilet was not circular but oval. It was still 2-1/8" at the narrowest. Suprised there would be a lip to constrict the outlet - the trap is bigger than the 2-1/8" exit.

- The shape of the exit path in the bowl is rectangular. I saw posts of people complaining about the Kohler Cimarron being this way which hinders plunger use. I would guess the Drake would have issues too for the rare (hopefully for the Eco Drake) cloggings.

- Flush handle action feels weird, it's not direct acting since it's on the side of the tank and the handle rotation is converted to an upward lift of the arm. Takes a bit of force to actuate. Flapper is pulled up from the center instead of from the lip like the previous toilet's 2" flapper. I wonder how well this handle will hold up over time.

- Great looking toilet! Can't wait to get the next water bill. This along with our new front loader washer I'm hoping for BIG savings!

After the install I have 2 questions:
- Bought and used the 'composite shims' that Terry likes to get the Drake leveled. Question for the pros - do you shim a lot of points on the base of the toilet, or just a spot or two to level and get it to not rock (wondering if I need to 'fill in' a few gaps with shims).

- I saw a post stating that to convert an Eco Drake to a Drake, one just needs to remove the float. Doesn't the flapper have to change too? The way I see it the flapper wants to close immediately all the time and only because of the float does it stay open until the water level in the tank drops to a certain level. Remove the float and now you have a < 1.28 gpf toilet, no?

Dave

shim_it.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Old_Guy

Reaction score
My Wife Loves The New Drake

....and so do I because I haven't heard "WHERE IS THE PLUNGER!!?! since we installed the Drake over a month ago. This cry for help used to echo though the hallways at least once every 4 or 5 days. In fact, I found out that things were so bad that visiting family members would take bets on how many times the old toilet would clog up during their visits!! I'm very happy to report that no money exchanged hands over the Thanksgiving holidays :D.
Now, my wife says things like "I love the way that toilet flushes!"
Are we happy? You bet! Would we recommend it? In a heart beat!

Terry, we have found the reviews and the comments on your site to be invaluable in helping us to make our decision.
Thank you for the time and effort-you have made this an invaluable and trustworthy resource to guide the naive consumer such as myself, through the mysterious and unfamiliar land of toilet selection.

Wakewatcher

Reaction score
Great Drake

After Googling for best toilets I was pleased to find that Terry was just a few miles away. I ended up with 2 drakes in the course of a couple of days. So far so good and Terry (and Jamie) offer great service after the sale. I found that using a "paintstick" (one of those suction painting tools) works great for pulling the remaining water out of the bowl and tank of your old toilet before removing.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
After the install I have 2 questions:
- Bought and used the 'composite shims' that Terry likes to get the Drake leveled. Question for the pros - do you shim a lot of points on the base of the toilet, or just a spot or two to level and get it to not rock (wondering if I need to 'fill in' a few gaps with shims).

- I saw a post stating that to convert an Eco Drake to a Drake, one just needs to remove the float. Doesn't the flapper have to change too? The way I see it the flapper wants to close immediately all the time and only because of the float does it stay open until the water level in the tank drops to a certain level. Remove the float and now you have a < 1.28 gpf toilet, no?

Dave

Dave you just use a couple of shims so the toilet doesnt rock then calk around the base with phenoseal or, polyseamseal.

The flapper would require changing to convert it.

polyseamseal_clear.jpg

Probedude

Reaction score
Dave you just use a couple of shims so the toilet doesnt rock then calk around the base with phenoseal or, polyseamseal.

The flapper would require changing to convert it.

Thanks - it's been rock steady since the install - will likely polyseamseal it this weekend.

My poor daughter though - dad (me) keeps using her toilet now!

loctite-tub-tile.jpg

GBH

Reaction score
Round bowl with CEFIONTECT?

I've been looking on-line trying to figure out what options I want. And there seem to be a multitude of options! I can't seem to find a round bowl drake with CEFIONTECT finish. Am I missing something? What would the exact part numbers be for:

1. Basic 2-piece Drake. Round Bowl. G-Max. CEFIONTECT. Sedona Beige.

2. Basic 2-piece Drake. Elongated Bowl. G-Max. CEFIONTECT. Sedona Beige

A general part number interpretive summary would be great.

Thanks,
Gary

The CEFIONTECT Drake only comes in the elongated Cotton White bowl. CST744SG-01
A standard glaze, elongated Drake in Sedona Beige would be CST744S-12

cotboll.jpg

Cotton White

Smit-Dog

Reaction score
Drake Elongated Sedona Beige w/ Sanigloss

I've been looking on-line trying to figure out what options I want. And there seem to be a multitude of options! I can't seem to find a round bowl drake with CEFIONTECT finish. Am I missing something? What would the exact part numbers be for:

1. Basic 2-piece Drake. Round Bowl. G-Max. CEFIONTECT. Sedona Beige.

2. Basic 2-piece Drake. Elongated Bowl. G-Max. CEFIONTECT. Sedona Beige

A general part number interpretive summary would be great.

Thanks,
Gary

The CEFIONTECT Drake only comes in the elongated Cotton White bowl. CST744SG-01
A standard glaze, elongated Drake in Sedona Beige would be CST744S-12

Bummer that the Drake Sedona Beige does not come in an elongated model with CEFIONTECT. May have to consider changing the colors in our bathroom!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Two piece Gwyneth comes in Sedona Beige, CEFIONTECT, Doubly Cyclone, Comfort height.
The Vespin also comes in Sedonia Beige, CEFIONTECT, G-Max

Attachments

• cst454_main.jpg
    cst454_main.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 4,130
Last edited:

TGtech

Reaction score
TOTO Drake installation and use

I recently replaced several old toilets with TOTO Drake 743 toilets. The installation went very smoothly. This site is a great resource in picking toilet brands as well as getting tips on the installation. So far, I’m a very happy camper (sitter?)

First, I really wanted to get some good ‘flushers’ – not the standard brand lower performing toilets the big box stores sell. I read everything I could find, decided on the TOTO brand, found a local TOTO distributor (sorry I didn’t buy them from you Terry, but I’m on the far side of the US from you!) and ordered the toilets.

After arrival, I took some pointers from here detailed at https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743 for the installation. I have installed toilets before, and had never sanded the tank interior where the bolt washers seal to the tank. The sanding tip is great, as it removes some of the rough glazing remaining from the factory and helps to prevent leaks.

The toilet, as mentioned in other posts, does not come with the nuts, bolts and washers to secure it to the floor flange. It does come with the decorative bolt cover caps and plastic washers onto which the caps snap. I simply reused the nuts and bolts that held the old toilets down since they were in great condition. I have come across installations where the bolts were very corroded, so it is probably wise to spend the $3 or so to have a spare toilet flange bolt kit on hand if needed. It is also cheap insurance to have an extra wax ring on hand to ‘double up’ the rings to get a good seal if the flange is below floor level. A few drops of polyurethane glue (or caulk) on one side of the composite shim(s) just before sliding them in will help keep them in place.

During the toilet assembly, I put a very light coat of plumbers grade silicone grease on the angled portion of the gasket sealing the tank to the bowl. You shouldn’t use any other type of grease since it may degrade the gasket material. The grease allows some flexibility/sliding in the gasket when tightening the tank to the toilet and helps to prevent any kinks or distortions.

I did notice the supply tube clipped to the overflow tube in the tank came loose after a few uses, and I simply ‘rebent’ the metal clip to grab the overflow tube a little tighter. Problem solved.

The toilets operate exceptionally well, and flush thoroughly and quickly. This is not a ‘dual flush’ toilet … I read somewhere else that people were only partially (or gently) pressing the flush valve for ‘liquid only’ disposal on this model … this is NOT the way this specific toilet is designed to operate! A quick, firm (but not overly hard) push of the flush handle until it ‘bottoms out’ is necessary to flush properly.

Thanks to Terry Love and the people who have posted here for the great information!

Probedude

Reaction score
Ordered my 2nd EcoDrake today

I ordered my 2nd Eco Drake today after I found out that starting in 2009 in SoCal there is a $100 rebate no matter what the efficiency of the previous toilet was. The first one I bought replaced a 3.5GPF toilet. This 2nd one will replace an older 1.6GPF Toto which is a splasher.

The previous rebate, though much larger ($185), was only good if you replaced a toilet with greater than 1.6GPF.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been selling a lot of Toto Drakes in Los Angeles and the Seattle area because of the $100 rebates.
Seattle doesn't have the rebate, but most of Snohomish County and parts of the Eastside like Sammamish and Bellevue.

I've been selling of lot of these in Los Angeles, Claremont CA

Last edited:

Robert H

Reaction score
Since I made my decision based in information from this site and forums I though it only proper to post. I replaced 20+ year old toilet with a basic round seat Eco Drake. I cannot believe that I can be so enamored with a toilet. This thing is great you flush, everything goes away and the bowl is clean. The first flush I though something was wrong because of the low water flow. One thing I really like is that there is none of the noise or potential parts failure of a pressure assist system. A good gravity design is the way to go!

Thanks
Robert

Toto Drake Installation instructions

Slk230

Reaction score
I Don't Get It???

I purchased the Kohler Cimarron at Home Depot. Before the installer came I read about the Toto Drake on this board.

I happily returned the Cimarron and purchased a Toto Drake (ADA) model.

I had it professionally installed.

I was underwhelmed by the flush but read that most of the action was below the water surface.

The very first time out (under real conditions) it clogged and I had to plunge.

I am at a total loss as I read most if not all of the very positive posts here and I don't recall a one clog or negative comment about this product.

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Perhaps you should check to make sure nothing is clogging it.
I have seen with new installations people dropping things in the bowl while installing it like a roll of teflon tape and i have also seen wax gasket almost completley covering the flange.

TSund

Reaction score
Eco-Drake clogged

I too have had a clog, tho there was a lot of TP going down and whoever built this house put in a angled drain says my friend who replaced old toilet which makes it prone to stoppage?. I figured I'd test the newish Eco-Drake, and plunge if it was too much.

PROBLEM: neither plunger seems to seal very well with the shape of the bowl drain. It is not unclogging and I am totally frustrated.

PLEASE HELP! Is there a particular plunger I should buy?

korky_plunger.jpg

Thank-you

Most plungers have a small end that pulls out.
A little water in the bowl helps to seal.
TL

Oneilljf

Reaction score
second washer and nut left off

I have been using this forum as a reference for some time and really appreciate the useful info I have received. My first question concerns mounting the tank to the bowl. A relative offered to install my Drake for me and in the process left off the washer and nut that go between the tank and bowl. He thought they were extra's. It is not leaking but I worry that this could become a problem. Should I take it apart and redo it or leave well enough alone since it is not leaking. This Eco Drake replaced an old 80's toilet and seems to work better. Great product.

You can use the single nut and washer on the Drake,
Using both washers and nuts is better.
ecodrake_tankbottom.jpg

Less chance of leaking with the extra nut and washer and it hold the tank to the bowl with less movement.
Terry

Oneilljf

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. Sounds like I have a little work to do for the best results

Suceress

Reaction score
This is an update: I purchased two Toto Drakes with CEFIONTECT almost a year ago. Due to natural disasters, injuries, illnesses, and various other lemons life has thrown at us, we've only installed one. It is currently the only working toilet in the house with four people (one of them is large enough to be two people-- and eats enough for three people).

The Drake is the first low-flow toilet we've owned and it took some getting used to. Certain people with digestive problems tend to spray diarrhea all over the bowl (above the waterline-- which didn't happen in the old toilets because the water level was so high). I imagine the CEFIONTECT would work fine if the toilet was cleaned immediately after. Unfortunately, the offenders don't clean up after themselves and I've been left to try to clean it up. I really have to scrub to get that stuff out. (Are there any special toilet brushes that are safe to use without scratching the finish?-- I think the CEFIONTECT finish in mine is now pretty much ruined from having to be scoured). Cling gel has made the cleaning a bit easier for me, but I don't know if it is worse on the finish-- the bowl is so stained now that I think the point is moot.

I'd also like to note that I was ignored when I told people in my household not to use the blue stuff in the tank-- and it will stain the bowl around the waterline (I'm not sure if this is permanent because it was covered by the iron/rust stain). Also, if you have unfiltered/unsoftened water like me (and have a lot of iron in the water) it will stain the CEFIONTECT. The water from my faucets comes out anywhere from yellow to red to brown and tends to yellow everything (I'm working on getting a water softening and filtering system setup, but we will need to pour cement first).

The toilet itself has only clogged about two or three times (not counting the past few weeks because the septic tank overflowed) and was easily cleared with a plunger. Even when clogged, I didn't really have an overflow problem until the septic tank got too full (we think maybe the overflow pipe from the septic tank needs to be cleared). Our old toilets were clogged once or twice every month, so this is a vast improvement.

The only other thing I will mention is that the lid on the back doesn't have a lip to hold it in place so it tends to slide when bumped. It's not a big deal, but its something to take into consideration if you care about that sort of thing.

Overall I'm still satisfied with the toilet. If you're not used to low flow it can make cleaning more challenging, but it flushes well.

I hope this made sense and was at least moderately helpful to people. Mostly, don't make the mistakes my family made. Get your water filtered first and don't use the blue stuff! (And if you are a sprayer-- please show some courtesy and wipe the brown away immediately so it doesn't dry on and stick).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks