T0T0 Drake toilet product review

Users who are viewing this thread

rrowan

Reaction score
New TOTO owner

Hi Terry,

I just wanted to say Thanks for a wonderful website with great info.

I have been strugling for 2 months now with a A/S Cadet 3 toilet. Last tuesday it stop working and after many attempts to fix it it just would not work. We called a plumber in to check the main drain and he said it was just fine. Wednesday we talked about replacing the Cadet and what to get? After google searching we came across your site.

Thursday morning we returned the Cadet to Lowes and went to a local plumbing supply and purcased the TOTO Drake with the CEFIONTECT and self closing lid (Wife picked out the gloss and lid options). Anyway no problems for almost a week now which is great for a house (with 3 teenage boys) that was built in the 1950's with no basement.

Thanks again

Rick

gbuskirk

Reaction score
The Toto Drake freed me. My fourteen-year old son is mildly autistic, and happens to be able to plug any ordinary toilet. After an overflow incident many years ago, he would not flush the toilet again. I got sick of dealing with his bizness, so reading this forum, I got the idea to replace the toilet with one that could "flush a penguin", and couldn't overflow on an ordinary flush. The Toto Drake. I ordered one online, and it arrived a couple of weeks later. I installed it myself according to the instructions on this website. I had to deal with a broken ABS plastic flange, which I repaired with a ring from Home Depot), but the installation otherwise went smoothly.
I demonstrated the flush action to my son, and he agreed to try taking care of his own stuff. I haven't had to do it since the Toto went in.
In time, two more toilets in the house will be replace with Toto Drakes (Sana-Gloss ADA).
Thanks for the site Terry.

daveng

Reaction score
toto drake - good at flushing, chain always coming loose

I bought 2 drakes for my home and they certainly are good at flushing, they never once got clogged where my other toilets, gerbers, were always getting clogged. I only issue I've had with them is the link that connects the chain to the flap was always coming off, so I would have to open up the tank and re-attach. This happened to both the toilets, so I'd have to say that this is a flaw in the manufacturing of the toilet.

Korky 3" Replacement flappers for the Drake are carried at Lowes for $11.99

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Another Drake, and a question

I just replaced an 11-year-old American Standard Pressure-assisted Cadet with our 2nd Toto Drake. Main reason was that we were getting used to the ADA height on our first Drake, and plopping down on the old standard-height Cadet wasn't fun any more. A few days later we're a very satisfied 2-Drake family. Sold the old Cadet for $10 at a local used building supplies exchange.

The question: as I inspected things prior to installation, I noted that at the trapway exit, there's a deep ridge in the interior of the trapway circumference, about 1/4" above the exit. I'm wondering why this wouldn't be a potential point for a snag and clog to develop? I don't remember seeing this in the first Drake, but then again I didn't look it over very carefully. Seems to me I'd want this to be a smooth surface to encourage the waste on its way.

DtinEnid

Reaction score
Bowl cleaning?

I have been using the Drake Elongated ADA for several months. Yes, it flushes like a champ, is difficult to plug (happened once...), and refills quickly.:) Solid waste DOES leave its mark, though. Another flush doesn't wash it away and it usually needs brushed.:(

Do any of the other models clean better while keeping the famous flush?

PS The flush is noisy but may be due to a 3" drain under the toilet that isn't vented well. :confused:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I've had one clog requiring mechanical assistance to clear, and one "stall" of a hot-dog (with bun) - sized poop, which cleared on its own, in the late part of the flush. Still, it beats the record of any other low-flow toilet I've ever had (except for the PA models). Flush is noisy, but only the final "glurp" as the trap clears. No problems with smears or marking. One frustration is the shape of the bowl makes it look dirty, even though it's clean, especially around the waterline. I think it's a light-and-shadow thing.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We have plenty of TOTO Aquia toilets for the Seattle area now.
We just picked up 40 of them.
11/6/2007

cst776cefg-terrylove-08.jpg

Installed this on Mercer Island, 4/21/2022

Last edited:

Notahandyman

Reaction score
Hi Terry,

I'm hoping I can get some immediate help here & have forgotten how to post a new question in the forum!

I'm ready for the Toto Drake toilet...I've been waiting on the contractor doing our bathroom remodel & there's seemingly a hitch.

The recommended distance from the floor to the water supply line on the toilet is 8 inches. We only have 4''. I just read at another website of a fellow that had this problem & the plumber didn't pay any attention & he ended up having to tear the wall out & re-do everything.

I don't want a make-do situation with the plumber, I want it done properly, but I really don't want to have to tear the wall out either!

Can you offer me any advice on this?

Thanks,
Notahandyman

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With the Toto Drake and the Ultramax, the water supply can be 3" to the left of center.

The Vespin and Carlyle need 7" to the left of center for the water supply

The Gunivere and the Soiree can be 5-1/2" to the left of center.

skhndrsn

Reaction score
ADA issues

We needed an ADA (comfort height) toilet on short notice for a family member when a flare in her rheumatoid arthritis made the standard height impossible to use. I called a local plumbing company and let them talk me into the Kohler Cimarron they had in stock to install that day. BIG MISTAKE! I knew from reading the forums that the Cimarron had bowl wash quirks, but this was horrible, unless I was willing to clean after every use (and I was SO not). And I could smell it. Immediately. Ugh. Called them back and found out they could have gotten me the Toto Drake I asked for in 24 hours, which is what they did after I insisted. What an improvement! Flushes everything, a snap to install, and no odd smells. As to cleaning, it needs no more than our old water hogs needed. For anyone with handicapped or otherwise weakened family members, both of these new low-flow toilets were too stiff for our family member to flush. We installed a foot pedal ($30. Foot Flush), which worked great but eventually caused knee problems on the flushing leg. We then went to a wireless automatic flusher (Auto-Flush for tank toilets $144.) It's just super. Anyone with kids or with toilet-trained cats will like this option too. Very easy install and wonderful hands-free flushing on our Toto Drake. We're planning to install Totos in the rest of the house. Couldn't be more pleased.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
All toilets have rim wash.
If a bowl has the siphon jet, then most of the water for the flush goes through the low part of the bowl, but there are always holes punched around the rim for bowl rinse.

Some comments about bowl wash, are mainly if you are comparing a post 1992 toilet to a pre 1992 toilet.
It has been 16 years since you could buy a 3.5 bowl, and even longer than that for the 5.0 bowls.
When someone replaces an old bowl made before 1992 with a new bowl, then yes, they notice more bowl surface exposed, and less water to rinse.
That is true for all brands.
Of the new toilets reviewed, the Toto Drake flushes well, and has a 360 around the bowl rinse.
It is the top seller I have.

toto_eco_drake_box.jpg

Jim Nelson

Reaction score
This is not a reply but a question-I am not a plumber-and until yesterday I had never heard of "toto drake". It seems however in the little research I've done since then, to be the best toilet made. Do you recommend one over the other. We have a 1200 square foot house-3 bedroom-2 bath and most days-it's just me & my wife. Recently had toilet checked by a plumbing company who said everything is working fine-my toilet just "sucks". My word there not theirs. It is working properly but that is not good! He recommended the "toto drake and gave me an installed price of $587 out the door. Do you agree with his recommendation and does the price seem fair? Thanks for any advice you have the time to give-jim

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Drake is one of the best that I sell.
Pricing depends somewhat on area.
If you were in the Seattle area, my pricing would look like this.
I also have will-call in Anchorage AK, Wasilla AK,
http://terrylove.biz/

Last edited:

Suceress

Reaction score
Questions about the rough-in and other things

Hi,
I have a few questions about this toilet. I am thinking of getting two to replace the 30-year-old ones in a couple of my bathrooms. I know that this toilet has a 12" rough-in, but will it work with a 10" rough-in? Or is there any way to make it work with only 10" without having to tear out the wall? It is extremely difficult to get a plumber out here now that our original one has gone blind and become ill.

Also, is the CEFIONTECT resistant to mineral deposits that are actually in the water? I have a well and pump system and the water has always come out slightly discolored. It leaves horrible red stains on everything. We've tried every septic-safe cleaning product we could find, but nothing has worked (the stains were already there when we moved in).

I would really appreciate a response. We are hoping to get new toilets by this Friday and need to know asap.
Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You need at least 11-1/8" from the back wall to the center of the drain.
If you have less than this, you can try the Toto Vespin with the optional 10" Unifit, this lets you have a rough-in of 9-1/4" or more.

The Vespin has a coating of CEFIONTECT in the bowl, which is better with bad water. CST764SG

The Drake can also be ordered with CEFIONTECT, model CST744SG

Last edited:

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
I purchased two Toto Drake toilets about a month ago. I never thought I would rave about something as mundane as a toilet. But this one really works and it stays clean, cleaner than any toilet I ever used. Naturally, I ordered it with the special coating. Not once has either toilet required the use of a plunger or a toilet bowl brush and
they flush quietly and quickly without leaving anything in the bowl. I love Terry's sight for steering me in the right direction. When my other two toilets are ready for replacement I will certainly order two more Totos without hesitation. My plumber had recommended a Kohler toilet, but after I did my research I thought I should go with a Toto. When the plumber came back to install it, he said they are the best toilets he has ever installed and only recommended Kohler because most people never heard of Toto and are reluctant to purchase a brand they don't know. Well, I'm spreading the word. This is one toilet that deserves its reputation.

Harriet, Indiana March 13, 2008

Suceress

Reaction score
You need at least 11-1/8" from the back wall to the center of the drain.
If you have less than this, you can try the Toto Vespin with the optional 10" Unifit, this lets you have a rough-in of 9-1/4" or more.

The Vespin has a coating of CEFIONTECT in the bowl, which is better with bad water. CST764SG

The Drake can also be ordered with CEFIONTECT, model CST744SG

Ohhh! It's to the CENTER of the pipe! I thought it was from the wall to the beginning of the pipe. It is about 12" from the wall to the center. That should make the Drake fit in well. I had already ruled out the Vespin because of the reported difficulty to install in small spaces. We are installing the toilets ourselves. We are having to replace the subflooring due to water damage. Is there something we should put on the floor or underneath to protect it from moisture (we will put flooring over it, but want it to be water resistant just in case).
Do you know of any cleaners that are good to use on the CEFIONTECT finish that won't damage it and that won't harm septic tanks?

Thank you very much!

PS. I was watching a program on the history of bathrooms on the History Channel and it mentioned Toto as the best quality producer of toilets. I think the model they were showing was the Ultramax.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've installed several Toto's with the Unifit adapter. It isn't really a big deal. Yes, you do have to drill a few holes, and if it is into tile, you need the right bit, but shouldn't be a major deciding factor. I have both a Vespin and a Carlyle in my condo...both work well. I wanted a color for the one, so I chose the Vespin which was a little less, but used white with the Carlyle. The one-piece has fewer places for dirt to hide. The plastic inserts Toto (at least used to) supplies for the Unifit seem to be designed for a metric hole...the nearest US equivalent fractional bit is a little small making it hard to get them in a tight hole. You can do it, but I found it easier to just buy some inserts designed for the fractional drill bit I had. If it was vinyl and a wood subfloor, it wouldn't matter, but in a hard tile, it is. This was several years ago, maybe they've updated what they supply. A small nit.

Suceress

Reaction score
Ok,

I got 2 of the Drake toilets but am having a bit of a problem with the install. The biggest problem is that we had to replace the floor. The old was too rotted and the plumbing assembly for it came apart so we couldn't see how it went. It was so old I don't think it was much like the new setup. We were told to put in a toilet flange thingy that looks like it can twist to fit. But we're not sure how it is supposed to fit. Is the flange supposed to be set into the floor or is it supposed to just sit on top of it?

Another issue is the Johnny Bolts the Toto dealership place sold us: we can't figure out who they are supposed to fit. They have an eliptical shape rather than rounded and won't fit into the slots of the flange. They also don't have any holes with which to screw them down. I guess they have to be fingertightened. They came with some weird plastic thingies that I assume are like washers, but the bag didn't come with any indication of how they are supposed to fit.

I can take pictures or draw diagrams if necessary to make this more clear. I'm just stuck right now and can't figure out what to do. We called for a plumber but he's not currently available. :-(

I would really appreciate any info. Pictures or diagrams would also be great.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The lip of the flange is designed to sit on top of the finished floor and be attached through the finished floor into the subflooring. A twist-and-set toilet flange has an expandable gasket that creates the seal to the drain pipe. Depending on the one you have, it may have screw slots to tighten it or may require an allen wrench. There are usually either T-shaped slots that come in from the edges, or keyhole shaped slots that allow you to put the bowl anchor bolts through the large part, then slide it so it is captured by the large head of the bolt in the smaller slot of the keyhole.

A picture of what you have would make it easier to be more specific. Whichever way the toilet anchor bolts go, they should be parallel to the rear wall (so the bolts can fit either side of the toilet base).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks