T0T0 Drake toilet product review

Users who are viewing this thread

FlushedAndClogged

Reaction score
Has anyone had an opportunity to compare Toto Drake and Ultramax II in actual household use? I would be very interested in reading which one does a better job or what are practical differences, particularly in flushing performance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Has anyone had an opportunity to compare Toto Drake and Ultramax II in actual household use? I would be very interested in reading which one does a better job or what are practical differences, particularly in flushing performance.

The trapways are the same, flush valve the same, a little difference in height of the water stored in the tanks.
For that reason, the two-piece holds a very slight edge. I prefer the one-piece Ultramax. They all flush very well.

cst744-gal-01.jpg

Last edited:

Psale

Reaction score
Website
petersale.com
Hi Terry,
Can the user adjust the float valve height in the UltraMax II, allowing more water to flow into the UltraMax II reservoir? I was thinking such an adjustment might even out the slight edge in "flush power" that the Toto Drake has over the UltraMax II.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hi Terry,
Can the user adjust the float valve height in the UltraMax II, allowing more water to flow into the UltraMax II reservoir? I was thinking such an adjustment might even out the slight edge in "flush power" that the Toto Drake has over the UltraMax II.

You mean the overflow height?
Frankly I don't see the need. They work fine. Some of the earlier MS854114 Ultimate models I installed were rated at 325 grams, using the low water height and they worked just fine. I installed three in a church I go to, and they have been stellar.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
cst744s-51-1.jpg

Putting a TOTO Drake together in Black (51)

cst744s-51-2.jpg

Almost done.

cst744s-51-3.jpg

Ready for some clear caulking at the floor. I like taking the pictures before I do that. The caulking I use goes on white and dries clear by the morning.

cst744el-tan.jpg

Okay, why not a white one in the other bathroom. Sure.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Drake CST744ER with the right hand tank lever. An older 1906 Seattle home, in the basement and rough plumbed right against the wall to the left. Replaced the leaking shutoff valve in the corner while I had the old toilet out.

cst744er-01.jpg

map-cst744e.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
cst744-terrylove-02.jpg

Installed Thursday in Bothell this week. Pulled out a Mansfield 160 that came with the house.
A nice upgrade for the kids in the home.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So the CST744EG looks like a great 1.28 gpf toilet. Are any of the Toto dual flush 1.28/0.8 or 1.28/0.9 gpf tanks compatible with the C744EG bowl? Compatible in the sense that the tank mounts OK and will work. I'm thinking that even if the C744EG bowl wasn't designed to empty with 0.8 gallons, it would work fine for liquids (could be wrong, in which case this would be a bad idea).

Thanks, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nice work ! Those TOTO's flying off the shelves up in the PNW! I have Toto in my 2002 home even those were good

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are any of the Toto dual flush 1.28/0.8 or 1.28/0.9 gpf tanks compatible with the C744EG bowl?
Thanks, Wayne

The dual flush CST746 tank and bowl are totally different than the CST744 series. Not match at all. Different flush valve sizing and other factors too.

I4k20z3

Reaction score
The dual flush CST746 tank and bowl are totally different than the CST744 series. Not match at all. Different flush valve sizing and other factors too.

hi Terry!

do you know if the cst744sl#01 (drake two piece 1.6 ada) has the 360 flush and the wax like coating?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hi Terry!

do you know if the cst744sl#01 (drake two piece 1.6 ada) has the 360 flush and the wax like coating?

The CST744SL has the rim on top of the bowl with a straight down the bowl rinse.
The CEFIONTECT technology would show on the model number as "G"
The CST454CEFG would be a tall Drake II with the CEFIONTECT bowl finish and "C" meaning tornado flush that gives you the swirl.

Kim Klein

Reaction score
So is the Drake II still your top choice for a 2 piece toilet? Need to replace a couple craptacular commodes in my house, and 2 piece ones are easier to wrestle into the somewhat cramped bathrooms there. Old ones are Kohler of some variety, and one has never flushed worth a... hoot. I just want/need something that flushes WELL. should I get the Drake II? Thank you!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The CST454CUFG Drake II is very nice.
That being said, the CST244EF Entrada is good, and so is the CST744EL Drake ADA.

cst744-terrylove-05.jpg

Last edited:

JuanC

Reaction score
The CST454CUFG Drake II is very nice.
That being said, the CST244EF Entrada is good, and so is the CST744EL Drake ADA.

cst744-terrylove-05.jpg
Do you prefer the Eco drake over the original drake with the 1.6gpf.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In Washington and California, we only get the 1.28, no longer the 1.6
The 1.28 has been working well though. And if you want more water, holding the handle down a moment drops more water from the tank quickly.

I'm a fan of the CST743, CST744, CST453 and CST454 series
I'm not a fan of the CST746 series.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks