T0T0 Drake toilet product review

Users who are viewing this thread

jlg

Reaction score
Hey folks, I just installed a Toto Drake, but I'm not sure all is well. The tank seems to move quite a bit forward/backward if I push on it. How solid should the tank be with the toilet? Should it move at all??
I'm pretty sure I DON'T have the back point of contact made (but can't really see it), but I have the bolts snugged down pretty tight, and the tank is level. I'm not sure how hard I can tighten down the bolts that mounts the tank to the bowl without cracking anything, but I'm just not sure
it's mounted correctly. I have it filled with water, and no leaking, but I'm not comfortable that it is correctly mounted.

Any help appreciated!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can keep tightening until it is just shy of tight. A half turn, side-to-side evenly. The porcelain doesn't compress, so you don't want to try to get it so tight there's any tension, or you'll crack it, but as long as you can still move it slightly, it's not too tight. I like to put a piece of paper in between, and stop when it starts to get tight but I can still pull it out without tearing. On most, there's a little stub sticking out, and if you put the paper between the bowl and that stub or leg, you'll have a good measure.

David1701Smith

Reaction score
TOTO Drake comparison

Will the TOTO Drake flush better than a higher flow 1988 toilet ( cheap American Standard, I think)?
My upstairs toilet has never flushed as good as my isentical downstairs toilet. Would reducing the 3"
drain just below the toilet to 2 & 1/2" make it flush better by improving the siphoning power?
Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The comparison between many toilets and a Drake is dramatic...yes, the Drake will flush better. No, you cannot change the drain..it must remain at least 3". The flushing ability of the toilet is 99% determined by the design and quality of construction. As long as the drain pipe is not clogged, it should work.

Jacksan

Engineer
Reaction score
Toto Drake - first impressions

Was all ready to get the AS Champion 4 or Kohler Cimarron then I came to this site. After some research it looked like I should also look at the Toto Drake. Terry's steadfast convition that the Toto had a better design helped me make up my mind.

We bought the Drake (round, 2-piece, 1.6gpf, non-ADA, beige) 2 months ago and have not looked back.

A few comments:
It looks and works great ... i guess we still have a plunger, somewhere! :D

I reached my fingers inside the trapway at the bowl and drain openings and it was rough like sandpaper, I think they should make it smoother. I was afraid it would grab passing TP so I took some 400 grit sandpaper and carefully smoothed out some of the burrs at the entrance and exit.

This acts like a 2-mode flush unit but that isn't mentioned anywhere. A quick flush and you barely get more than a glurp, I'm baffled it clears as good as it does! You can hold the handle down for 2 seconds and get the full flush. Not sure which of these flush modes the 1.6gpf rating falls into.?
--> Can you swap out the flapper, this one has a hole in it so it closes very quickly, so you don't have to hold the handle down so long (I have well water and a septic tank so water conservation is lower on my list)?

Bowl rinse is adequate but nothing like the old days 5gpf tornado rinse that went on forever.

P.S. when is someone going make an elongated plunger and get rich?!!! ;)

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
1. Terry has pointed out that the "rough" trapway may be intentional. A smooth trapway is more likely to cause wet wipes to adhere to the sides of the trapway, which in turn could cause a clog. Having a less smooth trapway prevents flat sheets, like wet wipes, from adhering, and so may actually make the toilet less likely to clog.

2. Your toilet is not really intended to be a 2-mode unit. The gpf rating is for a flush which is done as Toto intended - push the lever down all the way and let go. Yes, you can hold the handle down longer, and you get a higher gpf.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is "extra" water in the tank is for three reasons. Yes, you can hold the handle down and drain it, but in reality, it is seldom necessary. The other reason is the added water height provides more pressure to the flush. One other possible benefit is that if you live where condensation on the outside of the tank is a problem, since only half of the tank is used per flush, the incoming cold water mixes with the remaining water which is at room temperature and thus eliminates most, if not all, of the condensation problem.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
TOTO Drake CST744S

We bought the home new five years ago.

It came with Mansfield Alto round bowl toilets.
All three plugged the first day we moved in.
They plugged often.

Then two years later, my son replaced the downstairs toilet with a Sterling Wyndham 1.6 gallon toilet.
That was an improvement, but still plugged it occasionally.

The two years ago, that was removed and replace with a Toto Drake toilet.
The Drake has never plugged.
I like the fact that we got the elongated bowl, and the softclose seat.
Not only does it work well, but it's comfortable.
Sandy L
Lynnwood WA

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Toto Drake CST744SG

Hi, I have a question. I bought a TOTO DRAKE CST744SG (1.6 g flush) and am totally in love w it; think that I've only had to clean it twice in over a year, and it was an easy chore. I need another replacement toilet and was going to purchase another CST744SG, however after perusing your web site, I noticed that TOTO now makes another Drake with a 1.28 g flush - ECO DRAKE CST744E. Can you tell me if this lower water usage toilet works as well as the 1.6 g Drake does?
Many thanks, Rick.

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
I just replaced two 1991-era "Kilgore" toilets at my mother-in-law's with two Toto Eco Drakes. They are fantastic. Everything about them says "quality". We tried to go the cheapo route and use American Standard Cadets, and the Eco Drake is just miles ahead in terms of performance, looks, and finish. They cost about $100 more each but they are totally worth it. Very easy to install, took about 30 minutes at most with minimal tools. If you can remove the old toilet, you can install this one.

To the person who asked if the 1.28 gallon flush works as well as the 1.6 -- yes it does. Have had zero issues with clogging with this toilet, and it seems like if you keep holding the handle down, it sends more water through, though I don't think it would ever be necessary. There is a lot of force going on with even the 1.28 gallon flush.

If I had a complaint, it would be that at the end of the flush there's a bit of gurgle noise. Not a big deal, purchase with confidence. I personally have Toto Aquia II's and I think they are much nicer to look at, but the Eco Drake is really solid.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
TOTO Drake

Terry Love -

Thanks again.
On your recommendation< ACTION PLUMBING ordered a Toto Drake and the results here have been dramatically different from Pro Flow and the other standard toilets we've had...no more Richard Pryor jokes!

Marianne J

Last edited by a moderator:

Markusmile

Reaction score
Just had 4 Toto Drake toilets installed replacing some 'builder supplied' Mansfield lo-flo troublemakers. Over the past 3 years these previous toilets have been such trouble and majority of the clogs are empty bowls -- something isn't right in the toilet. Dishwasher soap, toilet bowl cleaner - be gone! The new Toto's are AS-ADVERTISED -- simply a 1st class product. These Toto toilets (Drake model) are international mfg as the bowl was USA, the tank said Mexico, and the toto softclose seat said Canada. they all work together nicely! I'd recommend these and go for the max and replace them all! Now what to do with that plunger....and all of that extra toilet bowl cleaner. Cheers.:cool:

Markee

Reaction score
I found a guy locally online selling 2 Toto toilets $100 a piece maybe both for $150 used but he says in like new condition
I asked what model he says Model number is ST743S

Says there beige colored and elongated bowls

This is the picture below

Can some tell me exactly which Drake model this is from that model # and the picture ?

I plan on grabbing these just looking for any advice on what I should look for when i meet the guy to buy them to make sure I"m getting a good deal and not someone else's problems

I'm no toilet master

Toto..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Markee

Reaction score
I assumed that was just the tank # coz when i googled the # tanks just came up

Any way to know what model toilet it is ?

Anything i need to look out for buying a second hand toilet ?

ST743S is the tank number.
That's a good second hand price.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Hi Terry:
Two months ago I bought a Toto Drake that my contractor picked up and installed in my newly remodeled bathroom. I've been using the bathroom just about a month now and boy ... am I in love with my toilet. I never knew there could be a low-flow toilet that actually works with one flush but this Toto Drake is amazing. Just what all the reviewers on your site said. I couldn't be more satisfied with my purchase or happier to have found your site and that you're local. Thanks for a wonderful service!

Cheers,
Robyne C.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks