Toto Drake toilet installation on a 14" rough

Users who are viewing this thread

mtcurious

Reaction score
Does the Toto Drake toilet, CST744sl, sit away from the back wall? I have read some comment that say when this toilet is installed the back of the tank is 3 inches from the wall. Is this true?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It may sit out from the wall 1" on a standard 12" rough.
If you have 3", then it must be a non-standard 14" rough. Homes from the 1920's may have had the 14" rough

mtcurious

Reaction score
Thanks, I have also read where the Toto toilet seat SS114 is not sturdy. Some people say that it shifts when you sit on it and that the hinges are not the greatest. What are you thoughts on this? Since I don't care about the soft close, do you recommend another seat?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The SS114 is sturdy, and long lasting.
There is some movement in the hinge, but then most seats have some of that.
When you sit down, the weight pushes the seat down against the porcelain. I guess if you stand up and wiggle the seat, it's noticable, but I prefer to sit on it.
The SS114 color matches, and fits the bowl shape nicely. I sell a few hundred a year.
The other seats I sell, the Church 585 for $20 gets beat up pretty quickly.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
We have a number of the Mayfair(Bemis) 148E2 soft-close wooden seats, and like them very much, and we also have the Toto SS114.

In reading many reviews of both seats, and comparing those reviews to the products in our home, I can say that "sturdy" is clearly in the eye of the beholder.

I myself find the SS114 to be very "sturdy" if "sturdy" means durable. It's a nice thick piece of solid plastic, and the hinges are durable. That said, it's supposed to have some flex and it does. The flex is why people like plastic seats. If they don't want flex, then the wood seat is better.

The Mayfair seat has refined its attachment method a number of times; the current attachment setup has two nylon bolts that mount from the underside of the toilet and are designed not to move around. You then "clip" the hinges onto these bolts, and the thing stays rock-solid where you mount it.

The SS114 is a more traditional bolts-down-through-the-holes mounting system. This setup could conceivably allow the seat to move around if it's not properly-secured or the toilet doesn't have little indentations in the china to more-precisely center them, as my Drakes do, for example.

Mount the seat right, and don't add a lot of lateral torsion to it when mounting and dismounting your throne, and it should be fine. If it starts to move, tighten it up, like you would any other seat.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As far the the seat issue is concerned, others have answered this quite well. I have two of these seats and they have zero issues with me. I would like to mention the 14" rough-in question. The Drake does set a fair distance from the wall on a 12" rough-in, so on a 14", this would add 3" more inches of space. This would not interfere with the fine Drake performance, but would look a bit odd setting out so far. The best solution for both a 14" rough-in and a 10" rough-in is one of the Toto models that use their Unifit Adapter. These will set the toilet at a "normal" distance from the wall. Toto is the only company that has such an adapter, and it will only work on specific models of Toto toilets. You may peruse these toilets by following the "Toilet Review" link at the top of this page. Keep in mind that most companies handle the 14" rough-in problem by using a fatter or wider tank on a 12" toilet. This may fill the gap, but it still leaves the toilet jutting out and extra 2".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks