Toto Drake Round, Elongated, ADA MaP Testing Differences

Users who are viewing this thread

learning92

Reaction score
I've read lots about the original Toto Drake on here and am planning to purchase one. The toilet will go in a small room, so i was initially thinking of the round style, but then I read the below post on this forum listing different MaP scores for the 3 styles of the EcoDrake. Am wondering if those differences apply for the original Drake as well:

"The Eco-Drake
CST743E Round flushes at 500
CST744E Elongated is at 600
CST744EL Handicapped height elongated flsuhes at 900."

Yet when I look on the MaP site (see link below), all of the above are listed at <1000.

http://www.map-testing.com/about/maximum-performance/map-search.html#result[/URL]

So 2 questions:

1. For the original Drake, is there a difference in MaP scores for round versus elongated vs EL ADA? (I looked on the MaP site, but for both the EcoDrake and original Drake, all 3 styles are listed as <1000, even though I saw all 3 lumped together as 900 elsewhere on this site).

2. If there is a difference, does anyone know what those scores are? (I'm asking here because the MaP site seems to list every Drake toilet as <1000, which doesn't seem to be accurate).

I'd love to do the round regular height if possible, but we've been having serious toilet issues at this rental, so I'm willing to go with one of the other styles if it will make a difference.

Thanks in advance!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The test changes some over time, and the toilets may not be retested, so they extrapolate (I'm not sure on this). But, from personal experience, the MAP scores are somewhat artificial, but the good thing is that they are repeatable. They flush plastic wrapped, nice and smooth, paste sausages...not all that similar to the real thing.

My mother has two Drakes, one ADA height, one 'normal', both elongated. They are nearly impossible to clog unless you are one of the small minority that has a medical problem that produces long, hard logs. FOr them, they may want to look at one of the Caroma brand toilets.

Elongated is much more male friendly, the height, if you cater to older people, the ADA version is nicer. The taller the toilet and tank, the further the water has to fall, the greater the flush ability, all things being equal (but that's nearly never so!). ANy of them should work okay for you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The guy that does the MaP testing thinks anything that will pass 500 grams is awesome.
He was lamenting the fact that so many were trying to "Ace" the test, sometimes at the expense of bowl rinse.
The MaP does not test for bowl rinse. Therefore, the manufactureres sometimes worry about one thing only. Most of us like a bowl that is not only good at flushing, but also good at rinsing.

Anytime you add height, you increase power.Water dropping from a height has more force. I've never had anyone complain about the round bowl though. But given a choice, I will always choose elongated.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are many folks with tiny bathroom that have a problem fitting a toilet into the room. Often their problem is the door swinging into the room. One way that you can deal with that is with a pocket door. This does require some carpentry, but it is usually quite doable and not outlandishly expensive.

learning92

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

"I've never had anyone complain about the round bowl though. "

Terry, 2 questions:
1. Most of the reviews on here seem to be for the elongated, so it's good to know that you haven't had any problems with the round. About how many have you installed?

2. Any idea on the real gram difference between the round versus elongated, both in regular height?

Thanks!

Background:
If there's a big gram difference, may need to squeeze an elongated in there (the pocket door is a good idea, but the problem door is actually a closet door that butts up to the tub and wall (no room for said pocket).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Drake series of toilets all will take care of any normal person's deposits...the newer versions (II designation) use a different bowl wash. On some, SanaGLos is standard, and on some it is optional. This is a super smooth glaze that makes it harder for stuff to stick to the toilet so it stays cleaner longer. But from a flushing viewpoint, does not make a difference.

If you can fit an elongated toilet into the picture, it is much more male friendly, but the differences in flushing are more in the noise than an issue. A taller toilet can be both good and bad. Most people will like it, especially as they get older. Young children are flexible enough where it normally isn't an issue and they outgrow that pretty fast! Only if you're from a family of shorter than average people would the standard height be preferable (at least IMHO). The newer, taller ones are still shorter than the average dining room chair, and children sit at those and use toilets elsewhere that are tall.

As already mentioned, the guy who designed the MAP test has stated more than once, anything over 500g on that test is super! All of the Drakes exceed that value.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I have a round and an elongated. They flush the same, with maybe even a little edge to the round.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks