Toto Drake - Round Bowl VS. Elongated Bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
We are purchasing a new toilet because we need one that flushes very well! Is the Drake still a winner? We want an elongated bowl. Does the elongated bowl perform well?
Model being considered for purchase is: Toto Drake Elongated 2 Piece Toilet CST744S#01 Cotton White

Thanks in Advance!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Drake is still a winner. Elongated is preferred by most folks because it is male friendly, but either round or elongate perform very well.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
We are purchasing a new toilet because we need one that flushes very well! Is the Drake still a winner? We want an elongated bowl. Does the elongated bowl perform well?
Model being considered for purchase is: Toto Drake Elongated 2 Piece Toilet CST744S#01 Cotton White

Thanks in Advance!

It's a winner. We have two Original Drakes (CST744S and CST743S), the elongated and the round. They are both excellent. They flush exceptionally well. I think they are one of the best toilet values out there because of their high-quality construction, exceptional performance and good price. They also use industry standard, easily replaceable parts for when you need to replace a flapper or fill valve years from now. You will be able to get suitable parts at the local hardware store. Reliable. You're gonna love it.

Molo

Reaction score
Thanks for the reassuring replies. I've been interested in getting a Drake for years, and I am finally going to get one (maybe two)!

Molo

Reaction score
Toto Drake Installed!

It's installed. It was a simple installation and I'll let you know how it's doing after a couple weeks of use!

I did notice it's made in Mexico, and the Toto rep told me it was made is USA. Most likely an honest mistake.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toto requires all of their factories to meet the same tight rules..so, I'd expect all of them to give troublefree results. Supply and demand would dictate where it actually came from - they do make some here, but get what you get...enjoy.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Like Jim said, they make it in several factories, one of which is their one in Georgia. One of my Drakes had the tank make in the US and the bowl made somewhere else, yet they fit together perfectly. They have amazing quality control (think Toyota or Sony), so it really doesn't matter from a functional point of view where it's made, but many folks like Made In USA stuff, and you can find it. Toto actually has a large facility in Morrow, Georgia, which is running at capacity and they are expanding it. They have all sorts of enviro-friendly policies there, from capturing and reusing as much heat from their kilns as possible, to allowing employees to bring any recyclables in that they want and the company will recycle them.

Glad it was an easy install. Looking forward to seeing how you and the family like it!

Edwardh1

Reaction score
if I was the king, I would ban round front toilets and require elongated everywhere.
How do people of size use small round bowls?

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
if I was the king, I would ban round front toilets and require elongated everywhere.

You make it happen...

I wouldn't mind all toilets being elongated just as long as you're not forced to get ADA height! Those make my legs fall asleep before I can finish up.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
... just as long as you're not forced to get ADA height! Those make my legs fall asleep before I can finish up.

How tall are you? Did you install a thinner toilet bowl seat or the thicker ones?

I ask because some toilet bowls are at the 17" mark while the Toto is at 16+1/8" before the toilet seat is added. I intend to install a shorter seat rather than the typical 1" high seat without the cover. The Kohler & AS ADAs are also the Comfort Heights at 16.5". I think most people also use a rug in front of their toilets, so that may help.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, Toto makes more than one version of their seats...some are flatter than the others. Some love the more deeply dished ones, some hate them, but they do make both. The only ones that are really expensive are those made out of wood, so you do have some choices.

Wallijonn

Reaction score

Supposedly women prefer round toilets (wider hips?, no splash if they flush while sitting down?) and people under 65 prefer regular height toilets, like kids and teenagers.

Even the king must bow to the queen's wishes...

I have two Briggs 3.5g regular height round toilets. I'll be putting the ADA elongated Drake 1.6g in the master bedroom and the regular height round 1.6g Drake in the hallway bathroom.

There's plenty of men who sit while urinating. Almost nothing to clean afterwards, like the floor, the bowl, the seat, the rim, the back of the bowl, under the seat... unlike the typical male that holds up the wall while urinating and sometimes it sprays everywhere. I'm sure every male has at one time or other "squatted" while standing... "Stand closer to the toilet, it's shorter than you think" is the sign we have posted at work.

Last edited:

Molo

Reaction score
The Toto works very well! After being installed for 2 months, the Toto is a huge improvement from the previous toilet. Thanks again for the help with making a decision!

Wallijonn

Reaction score
I once sat on a Toto elongated and noticed that my privates touched the bowl too easily.

Maybe sit further back? Maybe that scalloped Toto seat would be beter? What I noticed is that there's a lot of room between one's backside and the front of the tank. Well, one wouldn't want to lean against it anyway, for fear that the tank would rock back and forth.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Regarding privates touching: was it a Toto seat? Some complain that some Toto seat, or other, is too concave, that it doesn't feel right on the thighs. I tend to think that when mounted on an ADA height toilet the concave helps to position (open) the spincher, that it lowers one's bottom lower and therefore spreads one's bum. (Please forgive me if that offends some, I'm not trying to be crude.)

I installed a Kohler seat with the easily removable cover. It over hanged the front of the Drake bowl by about 1/2". So I removed the cover and rotated the black pieces that the cover snaps into, tightened the screws while applying pressure from the front and positioning it so that it was equidistant on the sides . Now it's flush with the bowl front. Hey, that's about 1/2" moved back, if you know what I mean. ;)

And no, I still haven't made my mind up. I've given up on the idea of a round toilet bowl for the hallway bathroom. The Drake elongated is sooo sleek, like a fine sports car. It'll be non-ADA height but I can't decide between the 1.6f and the 1.28g, although I am leaning towards the 1.28g, when one spends too much time here one tends to over think everything, so when I start reading about streaks I start to waffle. My distributor said that it's actually harder to get the 1.28g Drake than the 1.6g (meaning that the warehouse probably doesn't stock them). If the price is higher than I paid for my last one I'll just install the 1.6g.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks